• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK FTE's ?

flysolo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
MN
Just picked up a pretty nice yugo ak with the 1.6 mil receiver (wanted to familiarize myself with the platform) Got a great deal and it was almost lnib. The bolt, carrier, and piston are all chromed and the action cycles much nicer than any of the lower end ak's I've handled. I'm shooting brass cased yugo surplus dated 1990 something from a sealed can. I've had 5 FTE's in 400 rounds. Seems excessive for the gun that "always goes bang" I don't know crap about these things.... Any ideas would be appreciated!

Re: AK FTE's ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: db_17_85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you given the chamber a thorough cleaning? </div></div>

+1 Most of these rifles have been packed in cosmoline for years. The cosmoline will slowly harden and stay in the chamber even with some cleaning, when the rifle starts to heat up it will liquefy the cosmoline causing "sticky bolt syndrome". Give it a strong cleaning with a brush and see if it goes away, if it doesn't then it could either be the bolt carrier being slightly off on the rails, the recoil spring, or the gas piston dragging in the gas tube.

^^^^^^^^^ +1 And also, the yugo surplus ammo looks great on the outside but it dont shoot fer shit. 5" groups at 100 yds at BEST. (Arsenal Russian AK with scope that shoots 1.125" with federal ammo consistently) And its more corrosive than than black powder and 100% humidity. No Joke!

Thanks guys. The chamber was clean double checked that this morning. As for the other possibilities, the spring looks to be ok and the piston doesn't show any signs of dragging that I can see but I the problem persists they can be replaced cheap. The carrier being off the rails sounds like a much more serious problem, what can I do to fix that?

Ballistic artist said:
^^^^^^^^^ +1 And also, the yugo surplus ammo looks great on the outside but it dont shoot fer shit. 5" groups at 100 yds at BEST. (Arsenal Russian AK with scope that shoots 1.125" with federal ammo consistently) And its more corrosive than than black powder and 100% humidity. No Joke! [/quot

Would love to have the high end AK stuff but this is my first one. For the most part I just wanted to build some muscle memory with the controls and see if I really like it. You're right about the ammo, it's dirty. I can keep all my rounds in a torso target at 100 yards off hand with irons though, I'm ok with that. Are you buying the premo federal stuff ? American eagle ?

I bought a few boxes of federal stuff mainly cuz I wanted to see what my weapon could do since the rumor of ak's being inaccurate has been spread worldwide. I found that 95% percent of an AK's accuracy resides in your ammo, not the weapon. I dont usually shoot the federal ak stuff cuz its so expensive. I save it for when I hunt Cyotes and want the best accuracy. My favorite is Wolff and Tulammo. They are both very reasonabley priced and they will shoot sub 2.5 MOA consistently.(Works well on yotes too) Stick to the Russian ammo for general use and SHTF ammo. Its non corrosive (but you will get oxidation after about 4 days if you dont clean it, mainly on the gas tube) and its more than accurate enough for 90% of the stuff you will use an AK for. But if you want to fully exploit the potential of the weapon, look into a couple boxes of Federal,(Hornady is makin some nice stuff too now) but remember, it is quite expensive compared to Wolff or Tulammo. And the latter will shoot quite well. Hope this helps. Have fun with your Kalashnikov!!
grin.gif