• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AK / SKS Barrel Threading?

wtopace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
Wylie, TX
I have a customer looking to get an AK and an SKS threaded 5/8-24.

Does anyone here work on pressed-together guns or have any suggestions? I have no problems with the threading, its just getting them apart and back together that I don't have the proper tools for.

I've threaded a bunch for muzzle brakes. Usually hold the receiver in a 4 jaw and live center the muzzle. If his bbls are mil spec, you are going to have to thread them for an adapter since they are smaller than 5/8". Years ago I made tools to pull and press HK MP5s but I wouldn't waste the time unless I was going into production.

Assuming the goal is for a 308 can, consider the risk and advise your customer. .312" dia. proj. Any error in the threading and adapter alignment is asking baffle strike.

I disassembled my Yugo SKS myself using only hand tools (though I did weld a long handle onto a crowfoot wrench to remove the barrel from the receiver because it was the only wrench I could find in the right size at a reasonable price). I won't say it was easy or fast, but it's not really that difficult. I drifted the pins for all the barrel blocks (grenade launcher, front sight/bayo lug, gas, stock ferrule) and then one at a time, set the barrel in the vise with the jaws just loose enough to support the block but not grab the barrel. Then, using a small sledgehammer and a square copper rod to protect the muzzle, I whacked the crap out of the barrel until the block broke loose. After I removed all the blocks, I then clamped the square receiver in my vise and used my homemade barrel wrench to spin off the barrel. It would have been helpful had I scribed witness marks on the barrel and action so I could reinstall the barrel by simply lining up the marks, but I think I managed to get everything straight.

The Romanian AKs I've stripped had blocks that were a lot easier to remove than those of the Yugo SKS. Rear sight blocks on Hungarian AKs can be a bear.

Here's my stripped Yugo barrel:

Yugobarrelstripped_zps787950d4.jpg

And my barrel wrench. Should be 22mm for the Yugo:

Yugobarrelwrench_zps0d9206c1.jpg

Oh, and any reason the customer can't use the original AK M14x1 LH threads with an adapter? Like RJB wrote, the diameter on the AK and SKS barrels is too small for 5/8x24. I had to have my Yugo rethreaded M14x1 LH (it was originally M14x1 RH) for a YHM QD flash hider.

I have a customer looking to get an AK and an SKS threaded 5/8-24.

Does anyone here work on pressed-together guns or have any suggestions? I have no problems with the threading, its just getting them apart and back together that I don't have the proper tools for.

I dont have an example of an SKS to measure but in the case of an AK I think the barrel od at the muzzle is 14MM. 14mm is aprox .551" so you wont be able to re-thread to .625"x24 tpi. Perhaps a thread adapter would work for your application. 14 X 1 LH id with a .625 X 24tpi OD

Last edited: