• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alabama Rowing

Queequeg

Door Man
Minuteman
May 16, 2008
Florida, Hillsborough county
I'm about to be a big fan!

My youngun is starting there in the fall and has been offered the coxswain spot for the novice ladies 8 boat!

Naturally, she took all of a nanosecond to commit to the team!

Roll Tide!

Re: Alabama Rowing

Congratulations. Got a 13 year old daughter going to the junior olympics for the shot and discuss this Saturday. Can't wait for Her to kick some butt.

I rowed for NC State back in the early nineties. We were terrible but Crew is a fun college experience for sure. Congrats!

What I know of the sport, I learned from her and her teammates and coaches over the last 4 years of her high school tenure.

I attended everyone of her regattas on water: the indoor regatta-torture fest, (done on Erg machines) held annually at the Florida Institute of technology was a "once is enough" event for me!

No question the sport is intense from a physical exertion perspective. The team work is especially correlative to success!

I'm doubtful I'll be able to make anything like the number of regattas she'll be involved in in the future but I'll try!

Dreamland is fine BBQ!

The Yankee in me wants to treat that invitation (The 2nd BTW) as just good southern manners. Having lived in here for 35 years however, I have come to find that Southerners aren't merely polite! Good manners are accompanied with sincerity to a degree that would be shocking to many in the north!

In our visit to Tuscaloosa, as well as Birmingham, (and for that matter North Florida and most of Georgia!) I was gratified to find the most well mannered people I have ever met in all my life. And it wasn't an act.

In short, while the roof often does have to fall on my head before I get a hint, I will be notifying you when I'm in the neighborhood.

Thanks

Congrats, QQ!! I know that UNO has a sailing team, not sure about rowing. I guess the constant gunfire near the lakefront might discourage visiting teams.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats, QQ!! I know that UNO has a sailing team, not sure about rowing. I guess the constant gunfire near the lakefront might discourage visiting teams. </div></div>

Thanks man!

Re-the gunfire, perhaps that speaks favorably for my position that coxswains should be armed: Their hands are free enough for vessel defense and Lord knows they are supposed to be paying some attention to danger while the rowers are focused on their exertions!

quee,

ROLL TIDE sir! I will cheer her on when I can, and unlike Mike I will bring my own beer. And frankly my ribs are better than Dreamland's, tsk tsk Mike how quickly you forget my mad BBQ'in skilz.

AS

Here in Oak Ridge we have one of the best rowing venues anywhere, and one of the best shooting facilities in the east. Pretty nice place.
smile.gif
I'll bet you get to see the place shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to be a big fan!

My youngun is starting there in the fall and has been offered the coxswain spot for the novice ladies 8 boat!

Naturally, she took all of a nanosecond to commit to the team!

Roll Tide! </div></div>

Congrats to your daughter Quee!!! As I do very much wish her well and much success to boot.

Fact is that you are going to be a real pain in the ass now, not only do I get grief from you regarding the Saints, but now I'll have to listen to this "Roll Tide" crap too!!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Southerners aren't merely polite! Good manners are accompanied with sincerity to a degree that would be shocking to many in the North!"

</div></div>

This has now been Twittered. lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Oak Ridge we have one of the best rowing venues anywhere, and one of the best shooting facilities in the east. Pretty nice place.
smile.gif
I'll bet you get to see the place shortly. </div></div>

XTR,

You mean this one? http://www.tva.gov/sites/meltonhill.htm

We attended the Southeast Regionals at the Oak Ridge rowing venue on Melton Hill lake back in May of '09'. It is a really nice venue and the scenery is pretty nice too! Not to mention the people there!

Victor lives very near there as well!

Atomic Rowers had a fantastic concession stand which was greatly appreciated as we did not bring our concession trailer for the 2 boats and crews from our school who attended.

I enjoyed the drive there and back but could have done without the speeding ticket on the Pellissippi parkway...

I think Sarasota is looking to overtake Oak Ridge as the venue to beat in their ongoing massive project at Benderson Lake. It's right alongside I-75 and a very desirable location for people looking to come south for a respite from cold or rainy spring weather.

http://www.scgov.net/parksandrecreation/Rowing.asp