• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alaska competitions anyone?

1975CJ5

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Wasilla Alaska
Looking at getting into long range shooting and would like to see if Alaska has any competitions that I'm unaware of. Any ranges other than Rabbit creek and Birchwood. In Kodiak I had KISKA range and they had a 500 meter military style range and it was awesome, but I live in Wasilla now and have yet to hear of any other ranges or long range competitions. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Alaska competitions anyone?

Fort Richardon and Fort Wainwight both have High Power matches. They were quite active when I was shooting up there. Still have a program as far as I know. Google the Alaska State Rifle and Pistol Assn.

Re: Alaska competitions anyone?

http://www.akrifleclub.com/

F Class can have two shooters and at most times just one. A guy named Allen when I had talks with him was willing to help me set up a tact match on Rich but just how many would show up for the dollar value I would have invested. And I know nothing about tact matches and neither did he just kicked the idea around.

No real problem finding long to extreme range shooting in Alaska unless you want to shoot on an organized range with rules. A little harder than it was decades ago or even just 10 years ago but lots of open terrain. The areas we use to shoot and hunt growing up are now closed throughout the Valley and along the Seward.

Rabbit Creek is an absolute joke, it never was ideal even in is infancy when it was just a patch on the flats to shoot before the state got its greedy anti Amendment II hands on it.

Birchwood is better but you still have a few of the crusty range know it alls on the weekends and at times during the week. APD, ATF, FBI, active military, etc. shoot there during the week and can occupy 100 meter, 200 meter and the 300 meter. Local SWAT guys were there one day on the 300 when I was there, not like they wanted me to interrupt their training with 3 shooters and all that space.

KGB was the area but it is now closed. Even the runway had yardage markers. There area had the solstice machine gun shoot and some guys would bring out cannons.

Knik glacier is superb if you have a rig to get back there.

Along the flats near Chickaloon.

Rumor has a company out of TX with retired military and LE trying to build a 2000 range with kill house and such for training in Alaska outside Wasilly butted up against the Talkeets so we do not have to fly south to train. But it will have loads of rules and be very expensive as I understood hearing their proposal. Wasilly and Valley bureaucrats are arguing over taxes and land laws. I think 2011 or so when it was suppose to go operational. Dig around to find more.