• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up alaska hide members need form critique.

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
Hey any alaska shooters here around the anchorage/eagle river area??

I need some help with my learning proper shooting form/techniquea any help would be great. I usually shoot down at the birchwood range. Would love to meet some new people to shoot with and learn from the experience you guys have.

Re: alaska hide members need form critique.

custom howa 1500 .30-06.

I'm mostly up at birchwood shooting range. This winter I've been trying to find some local areas to shoot a bit longer but having a hard time doing so...

Since the troopers off limits KBG air strip you will have to drive. It is not that hard to find long range shooting in Alaska, harder than is use to be, just look around and find some area that has a back stop. It is legal to shoot from the road side but not across it. A call to the troopers from some one outside visiting AK who has no idea about our way may warrant a visit but never had any issue.

Out around Eureka and Caribou Creek. In winter, the snowmachiners will be out there so pick your area.

Along the Mat around Chickaloon.

Knik Glacier has some long range if you can get back there. Not the Anchorage party area near the bridge and Jim creek but back there near the glacier is a good area to camp and shoot.

Along the Parks is harder but can be found.

We did our family camp shoot hunt trips along the Denali, its a drive but we camped at a pullout, through clays, set up jugs about as far as you want, my boys would plink 22s, did some hunting.

As far as finding someone, us Alaskan are loners by choice. Shot with a few on here. Had best luck / fun with SavageStag. Ak Tact has a couple long range shooters, shot with them a couple times. APD Swat is at Brich a couple times. Met a couple guys at Birch with custom pop guns. Most guys went to KGB and that is where to find them on a weekend. Good LR still there but troopers with all the housing now kind of frown.

Give Steve at Alaska Tactical (in Anchorage on Muldoon if I remember correctly) a call and ask him. He runs shooting classes in the area and was a trainer for the Anchorage PD when I lived up there 3 years ago. If you are looking to get some instruction either he can do it or find someone that can.

Steve is good to go.

Tom

Thanks guys I appreciate the input!

We'll have to set something up when it gets a bit warmer. About 35-40 is my cutoff lol.

absolutely! I'm game for it! just came back from a bunny hunt, man was it cold out there.... -25 with the windchill...my buddy went to blow the snow off his muzzle and ended up sticking his lips to the barrel...not fun.

ok, dumb question, where or what is kgb air strip??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ok, dumb question, where or what is kgb air strip?? </div></div>

Knik Goose Bay air strip is across the inlet from Anchortown out from Wasilla. Good area out to 1000 yards with good hunting too. Lights and minor avaition were installed and have become targets and houses are going up around the area. Start buring powder and the houses in the area will call the troopers and so far, they just come out and give a warning and inform the area is now off limits to shooters.

gotcha...what about off of jonesville mine road in sutton. I've heard of some folks shooting in there out to about 600 yards, but I've never been there myself? Any idea if that's an off limits area?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gotcha...what about off of jonesville mine road in sutton. I've heard of some folks shooting in there out to about 600 yards, but I've never been there myself? Any idea if that's an off limits area? </div></div>

It was still OK last year and half ago.