• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Alaska Precision Rifle Course Review PR1/PR2

MTB doc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2019
Just got home a few days ago after attending PR1/PR2 in Alaska taught by Frank and Marc. I’m not quite sure exactly what I was expecting, but I can say it ended up being somewhat different than I had imagined.

As a ER doc, I’ve had a lot of teaching/training from a variety of people from college through the end of residency which spans over a decade of constant learning/training. I was fortunate during that period to have some amazing people teaching me and some others who were not so amazing. I can say without hesitation that Frank and Marc rank right up there with the top echelon of academic physicians I have trained under in the medical field. What these 2 guys bring to the table, besides their obvious knowledge/experience, is a high-level commitment to teaching along with the actual teaching skills to be successful at such a high level.

Fundamentals. This is the single word I’d choose if I had to summarize what the courses are all about. Here is an example. One day on the range the mirage was particularly bad during the part of the day when we were shooting targets from 700-1000 yards. Marc and Frank go down the line working with each shooter, one after another. When they got to me, we were shooting to the 900 yard target. The mirage was so bad that the red light hit indicator on top of the target sometimes could only be seen for a brief second because of the mirage, then it would disappear into the mirage again. We had been doping our rifles progressively to further distances that day so we had pretty good actual data given all the variables of the day. My first shot on the 900 plate was a clear hit. Pretty good given the conditions, right? Not so much. I fucked up the the trigger press and sorta snatched it back. Marc and Frank didn’t give a fuck that I hit the plate in those conditions. They didn’t even mention the hit. They both immediately gave corrective measures with all attention being given to proper fundamentals, in this case the trigger press. I made the correction, hit the plate again and was told to continue to focus on the press. They don't care about the hit, that is going to be the expected outcome if the fundamentals are sound.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the scene each day at Sheep Creek Lodge after we’d get back from the range. We’d all sit at a long table and have food/drinks (some of us drank more than others) and basically just bullshit about anything. It would be next to impossible to attend the courses and not make new friends which will last beyond the course. Nothing is off-limits to discuss and more than one night I’d realize everyone else had gone to bed there was just me or one other still hanging and BS’ing with Marc and Franc.

I know that was a long-winded review but it’s the best I could do to try and describe the focus and atmosphere of the course for anyone considering attending. My plan is to attend the course yearly until they boot my ass out.

Pat

Very well said and I agree, great class. I too, will be going back for more.

David

Pat,

We had a blast with your class, and you !

We know the hits are coming, we can hear them, but we aren't focused on the hit, we are focused on the shooter. Too many people are tour guides. On the range they touch on the high points, but are unable to focus on the little things. it's the little things that matter. If the shooter is fundamentally sound the impacts are almost guaranteed. We build Marksman... in the finest Marine Corps Tradition.

During the podcast, Marc mentioned Pat in particular, because of one minor issue. He is shooting, executing proper trigger control, but the recoil pulse we are looking at just appeared wrong to Marc. So after the string, Marc asks Pat to back off the buttstock a bit, and what did Marc see, the LSS Buttstock was loose at the back. The butt plate was wobbling, which affected the recoil pulse, which can force the shooter to move out of position and have to re-adjust between shots. This is what we do, find those things the other guys miss.

The best part of the Sheep Creek experience is, when we stumbled on "Dr StrangeLove'. Which was a different doctor of sorts, just not the kind Pat is used too. :)

7db6525a2f40f1bab01a860d6b26281265d6b4a1.jpg

We had an absolute blast with Pat and all the students, we hope to see you again.

Thanks for that great review, Doctor. Your particular classes had nothing but teachable students and it makes our “game“ enjoyable.
Very happy that you will be visiting us again. It only gets better and more enjoyable with each Course.
— Taylor

Reactions: ohaley
Very much going to try attending a class next summer. Stoked such an offering even exists up here. Not that I had any doubts but your review really drives home looking forward to the knowledge and experience. 👍

Reactions: MTB doc
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This is some of the best training I've ever had! When you find something this good, you really want to come back for more.

Currently, I have attended PR1 & PR2 during separate years. As Marc and Frank have mentioned, it is ideal to do PR1 & PR2 back to back in the same week. Someday my schedule may allow me to stay that long. PR2 is about getting off the ground and doing the fundamentals faster. I'm used to shooting prone, so it was a great experience shooting off a barricade and an ATV-4 wheeler. Those experience really highlighted where I need to practice, and some adjustments that I need to make on my rifle.

The Sheep Creek Lodge is a special place. Nothing beats great food and great company! I have to say I had both at the Lodge.

Highly recommended!

I did PR1 last summer and regretted not scheduling PR1 & PR2 back to back. I was hoping to do them back to back next month but some planned work obligations meant I had to bail back in December. With all the COVID impacts on my work, I could actually have made it work to attend the course. Wish I had kept my course registration but now I'll just be sure to book for next year and ignore work requirements.

Reactions: California
I did PR1 last summer and regretted not scheduling PR1 & PR2 back to back. I was hoping to do them back to back next month but some planned work obligations meant I had to bail back in December. With all the COVID impacts on my work, I could actually have made it work to attend the course. Wish I had kept my course registration but now I'll just be sure to book for next year and ignore work requirements.

YES. IGNORE that negative shit!! :-]]

YES. IGNORE that negative shit!! :-]]

100% agree. After my flight was canceled a 3rd time, I was about ready to reschedule my training. When I provided Staff Sergeant Taylor an update, he told me to "make it work," so I found another flight and made it to Anchorage. I'm so glad I did!

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said
I was there for the PR1 & 2 as well. It was a great class and I learned a great deal. My friend that I went with and I are thinking of going to Marc & Frank's May class in Utah next year.

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said