• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Alaskan Cruise- Spotter or Binoculars

kyle

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2001
Fort Worth, TX
Getting ready to head north for an Alaska cruise. I'm thinking of quickly ordering something like a Kowa spotting scope to take along to help see stuff from our balcony. The spotting scope is something I could really use for my target shooting.

Alternatively, I could order a set of binos. Less magnification but wider FOV and much more convenient.

I don't have either currently. Those of you that have done the Alaskan cruise, is some type of optic recommended and which one would you choose?

Re: Alaskan Cruise- Spotter or Binoculars

I took 10x Leupold Gold Ring binos on our Alaskan Cruise. They were a great asset. IMO, the spotter would not be the way to go.

1. While you arent moving extremely fast, you are still moving, and when sitting on your balcony you wont have much time to get on target, before you are past it.

2. Alot of the animals we seen didnt give you alot of time to find them.

i own and operate two Mark 1 mod 1 god given range finding eyeballs in baby-shit brown.....i also like to think i'm a fair spotter and a fair judge of distance......but....its always a pleasant past-time to look though some nice crisp clear binos that are also laser rangefinders....like a pair of 10x geovids to re-confirm my god given talent.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i own and operate two Mark 1 mod 1 god given range finding eyeballs in baby-shit brown.....i also like to think i'm a fair spotter and a fair judge of distance......but....its always a pleasant past-time to look though some nice crisp clear binos that are also laser rangefinders....like a pair of 10x geovids to re-confirm my god given talent..... </div></div>

BOLTRIPPER, your so full of shit.....your eyes are brown!

Hell the way the weather has been you wont need them, I'm looking out my window and all I see is a shit load of rain. But have fun with the old people. They have a bunch on the ships i'm told but i'm sure they are crappy. Just get a good set of Binos. Have fun and enjoy my state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell the way the weather has been you wont need them, I'm looking out my window and all I see is a shit load of rain. But have fun with the old people. They have a bunch on the ships i'm told but i'm sure they are crappy. Just get a good set of Binos. Have fun and enjoy my state. </div></div>

Hell I don't know where you're at, but it's been amazingly clear and warm here all summer long.

Kyl, I'd go with the binocs myself. A pair of 10X will really help you out.

What cruise line are you coming up on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell the way the weather has been you wont need them, I'm looking out my window and all I see is a shit load of rain. But have fun with the old people. They have a bunch on the ships i'm told but i'm sure they are crappy. Just get a good set of Binos. Have fun and enjoy my state. </div></div>

Hell I don't know where you're at, but it's been amazingly clear and warm here all summer long.

Kyl, I'd go with the binocs myself. A pair of 10X will really help you
out.

What cruise line are you coming up on? </div></div>

I'm in Anchorage and we have had rain for the last two weeks, So I hope it gets better for him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kyl, I'd go with the binocs myself. A pair of 10X will really help you out.

What cruise line are you coming up on? </div></div>

Departing Seattle on Princess. Inside Passage.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

go with the binocs as stated above but don't forget to take just a moment, close your eyes, take a deep breath, then open your eyes and just look and listen to what God has made. It is truly awesome there.

Maybe a tripod adapter with a light tripod would make the binos more enjoyable. It gives more stable viewing which allows you to see finer details. Also helps reduce the stress on your arms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Departing Seattle on Princess. Inside Passage.
</div></div>
I did that same cruise this time last year. I have a spotter and binos and the binos are the only way to go for this venue. The spotter will be a total waste of space/weight. Get a really good pair of binos and you will be much happier. Talk to Doug at Camera Land, a sponsor here. I got Leica Ultravids 8x32 from him. Great choice. Small, compact, great resolution and perfect power for hand holding.

Did a cruise like that 3 years ago, I had 10X Nikon binos, they are the way to go.