• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Alaskan Malamute for tracking dog?

irishshooter

Super Mario Kart World Champion 1997
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Ireland
anybody here using an alaskan malamute/siberian husky for tracking?
Mines just come of age to start her off on blood scents Im just wondering has anyone here had any experiences of using them to hunt, they seem to be popular to track deer in scandanavia, my only worry is they can be disobedient when they feel like it

Re: Alaskan Malamute for tracking dog?

everything i have heard about huskies is that you cant let them off the leash unless they are in a fenced in area that they cant get out of. I wouldnt trust mine off the leash, because if they get loose they run and dont come back, its in their blood.

I've worked with hundreds of dogs in a mushing context. Mostly all Alaskan Huskies not Siberians or Malamutes. That said, Siberians can be pretty aloof and and difficult to control but if it's what you have and you are determined give it a shot. How does it do with commands in general? If it doesn't listen well now I would think it would be even harder to deal with when it gets it's brain wrapped around something like a blood scent. Good luck with it.

Get yourself a labrador or some other hunting breed if you want a dedicated blood dog. Even Jack Russell terriers seem to be popular blood trail dogs and truth be told I'd get one if I were looking for a dedicated blood dog. Most dogs will trail blood if you train them to, in the grand scheme of dog training it isn't one of the most complicated things to do....you're basically just allowing the dog to do what his instincts tell him to do and he wants to do.....it's just a matter of exposing them to it. There are a ton of dogs that I'm sure would be easier than a husky, but run what ya brung no need on anything special to do this job.

Rigby has one of the best noses I have seen
Welsh Cardgian Corgi

DSC_0012.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ykrvak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've worked with hundreds of dogs in a mushing context. Mostly all Alaskan Huskies not Siberians or Malamutes. That said, Siberians can be pretty aloof and and difficult to control but if it's what you have and you are determined give it a shot. How does it do with commands in general? If it doesn't listen well now I would think it would be even harder to deal with when it gets it's brain wrapped around something like a blood scent. Good luck with it. </div></div>

shes very good in fairness, I can let her off the leash and out of sight and all I do is double whistle and she comes straight back, I spent a lot of time training her on the whistle commands, one to stop what shes doing and two to come back to me. I wouldnt buy any other 'gun dog' as I just dont like the breeds, Im bringing her out this week to get her used to the sound of the gun and see how that goes before I start her on trails as she will be useless if shes afraid of the rifle. I have read they have an amazing predatory instinct but I have not witnessed it other than with the neighbours little yapper dogs whom she will chase. She loves venison and is familiar with the smell as she would always get excited when Id brought a deer home even if she couldnt see it.

I was hoping we would have a musher in our ranks here as im eager to learn more about the breed other than what you read on the internet etc. What is an alaskan husky? is it a cross breed?

I belive that blood tracking is something that almost any dog can learn to do,

it´s far more in the conditioning/training part than what breed it is,

Peter a Danish guy over at Accurate reloading, has what I belive is a malmute to do his tracking,

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/420100689?r=420100689#420100689

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/6341085901.

So in short, work that dog on trial trails and keep up the handling bit as well.

Best regards Chris

Ohh btw one good thing about the size of a malmute, is that they can actually hold down a deer if merly wounded or even if trained to do so, finish one off.

My friend had an old female beagle that refused to hunt rabbits, but when we had a wounded deer in archery season and you lost the blood trail you could drag out the secret weapon beagle and she would trail it down in a pouring rain storm. Worth her weight in biscuits!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I belive that blood tracking is something that almost any dog can learn to do,

it´s far more in the conditioning/training part than what breed it is,

Peter a Danish guy over at Accurate reloading, has what I belive is a malmute to do his tracking,

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/420100689?r=420100689#420100689

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/6341085901.

So in short, work that dog on trial trails and keep up the handling bit as well.

Best regards Chris

Ohh btw one good thing about the size of a malmute, is that they can actually hold down a deer if merly wounded or even if trained to do so, finish one off.

</div></div>

top link mate, thanks!