• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alexander Arms .17HMR

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Fellow Hiders, I was perusing a new issue of "On Target" magazine today when I came across an ad for an Alexander Arms AR in .17HMR. Since I am heavily addicted to all things-gun, particularly, all things .17 HMR, I was surprised to see that. Out of all of the reading/research I do, I never once read about this development prior to the ad. Have any of you folks read, seen, heard, or used this rifle? AA supposedly fixed the issue of extraction and beefed up the action, whereas most other semi-auto .17's have failed before.

I am interested in firing one. I love the .17 HMR. I love AR's, so this could be one helluva' marriage!

Anyone with experience? Thanks.

Re: Alexander Arms .17HMR

YA WE ACTUALLY DEAL WITH AA AT MY FAMILY STORE AND THERE ALL OF 1200 AFTER TAX BUT IF THEY FUNCTION LIKE THEY SHOULD, ITLL BE PRETTY FUN TO SHOOT I HAVE TWO ON ORDER AS OF THREE WEEKS AGO

I'M ALSO A HUGE 17HMR FAN

I am going to order one of their uppers I think. Only a matter of time! I've got a raging hardon for this thing!!

plunker20 - I hate you with a serious passion. Can I shoot your .17 when you get it?
wink.gif

Plunker20,
You should do a full review when you get it. I am also interested in the upper.

i can do the first one i ordered in was sold but i know the gentleman maybe hell let me take it out when it comes in, the second two are not sold yet ill do a review when those come in

I would love to hear how this rifle shoots as well! Looking forward to a review.

im excited too ill take video if i can get dfoosking to come out with me and be my bitch

Do they sell direct? Military discounts?

yes they sell direct and dealers dont get much a break either its more or less just to have another gun in the store. as for military discounts ill have to check quick

Okay... well, next month I'll have to order one of these, or at least an upper.

FALex, I have had one of these uppers for over a year. Took it to SD to try on p-dogs last June. I've had some problems with jams and right now it won't extract the first fired round out of a mag. After clearing by hand works good for the rest. I've e-mailed AA recently haven't heard back yet. I've only fired 3-400 rnds so far. I did split apart one mag and re-glue it because they follower kept popping out. The rifle shoots 1/2 in at 50 yds. I have the mono upper(very pricey) with a 4x12 Swift mil-dot on top. Great rifle if I can get it functioning properly.

just trying out photobucket, this is my AA 17hmr

AA17hmr_zps758def77.jpg

i was told these were pretty particular on how clean they need to be like a good cleaning ever 2-250 rounds down range. thats what the rep at aa told me anyways

They also require a "break-in" period(~100 rnds), and you need a standard hammer and hammer spring. I had a 2-stage trigger in the lower at first and rounds didn't feed right. AA put out a notice about this. I switched trigger and spring now my current problem. I have cleaned and re-lubed many times, tried various pull wts(lighter won't feed, heavier won't extract right) maybe needs more "break-in" going to call AA if i don't hear from them soon. Interested to hear what you think when you get hands on one. did you order w/ standard or heavy buffer?

I ordered a complete rifle not just an upper but ill call steph over there and see if she has any suggestions for ya

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i'm gonna take some video when i get a chance to send to AA. really want to get this working good before my next p-dog trip

My AA 17 upper is on its way back to get some upgraded parts, they have made some changes in how the bolt is made and also new mags. Hopefully that will solve my problems, I'm guessing I won't see it for a while.

Got my upper back this week. New receiver, bolt, mags, and mag adapter. Didn't fit right on one lower, fit good on my other with some minor fitting of the mag adapter. Fired 2 10 rd mags with no problems. I'll post some groups when it warms up. This could be bad for my .17 hmr supply.

A little delayed on my ordering... but I placed the order today! I went with the monolithic upper and the SSA trigger... tossed in three extra mags while I was at it! I'm going to have to figure out what to do for an optic now!

Hope you don't have wait long, interested to hear how you like it. Was just in SD to test mine on pdogs after getting it fixed.
Trip was a wash out didn't fire a round of 17hmr. Have a swift 4x12 and Burris mount on mine for now, not bad.

AA17hmr_zps758def77.jpg

Getting it fixed? What was wrong with it???

DP425, just back up to my first replies to this post. Long story short, after sending my upper back it now works well. Not trying to scare you I just haven't had much luck getting any feed back on these.

Any updates on this thread? This is something I would like if it is accurate and reliable.

Thanks

Crabo, I traded for one of these this summer and I really like it. It does have some issues, which are not big issues with me. Cons: I have to clean with bore snake about every 50 to 100 rounds (easy to do on the Ar platform) I have had one split case in 3-400 rounds. Pros: 1/2" groups easily, I just bought 20 mags for $7 something a piece (took 3 months to get) just in case they stop making them. Very nice to varmint hunt with. Nice package all in all.

If you have anything to do with Alexander Arms, be prepared for delays and abusive customer service. Patronize them at your own risk.