• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Alignment issue

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I have a Colt with Surefire 5.56 SOCOM. When I use my Geissele Suppressor alignment rod it's very close to touching the end cap of the suppressor. I've fired about 200 rounds and haven't gotten a baffle strike. I would like to know if I've just been lucky and it's only a matter of time before I get a baffle strike. Or am I good to go since I've gone 200 rounds with out incident?

If it needs to be fixed what is my best option? I doubt Colt would fix it.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/chad15341/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Well, as you can visually tell it is misaligned to some degree but if you have fired 200 rounds through it safely and accurately you PROBABLY are going to be fine. You could fix it by having a qualified/talented smith recut the shoulder and chase the threads. If it was mine I would have it fixed...........................if for peace of mind if nothing else. On the other hand it's not that rare and there are plenty of them banging away just fine and even with some heat and carbon buildup will never be a problem.

for a few bucks, do you really want to risk a new can purchase and stamp again? assuming total catastrophic failure. not to mention the wait.

I still have a couple of questions. From what I've read is that you just can't re-cut the threads. I could easily be wrong on this, I just didn't think it was that easy. Either they have to be cut off and re-threaded. (I would want to send a letter to the ATF to notify of a shorter barrel.) Or Adco could put some sort of adapter over the old threads and cut the adapter correctly.

Any suggestions besides Adco?

is this a SBR? if so, then you would definitely have to notify the ATF when you have your old threads cut off making the barrel shorter.

you are correct in having to have the threads cut off. i wouldn't piss around with an adapter.

Last edited:
you might even be able to just send the can and upper to surefire so they can take a look at it and cut and re-thread your barrel correctly.

My two cents, I would say screw the can on another rifle to make sure the threads on the can are correct,if all aligns the you know its you threads on your rifle. But if it is still off, it is you can threads.

Did you use the proper shims for the SF adapter? Hope you didn't use a crush washer.

is this a SBR? if so, then you would definitely have to notify the ATF when you have your old threads cut off making the barrel shorter.

you are correct in having to have the threads cut off. i wouldn't piss around with an adapter.

IF he keeps another barrel on hand of the same length as listed in the Form 4 or Form 1 he can go up or down in barrel length at will and is not required to notify ATF of anything. You only have to be able to duplicate what's on the form to stay in compliance

Yea everything is installed correctly. Unless the barrel is over 16.7" cutting threads off is kind of a pain with the paper work involved. So if I don't want to cut my barrel what are my options to fix the threads?

16.7"? legal length is 16".

if not, then i'm F U C K E D ! ! ! lol

do i understand your comment correctly? couldn't you just cut the .5" of threads off, leaving the barrel at 16.2?

Get the threads fixed, and send an amendment letter to the ATF to ADD a new barrel length to your approved SBR paperwork. You should lose .5" if they cut off the threads at the shoulder, recrown and rethread, so just tell the ATF you want to add a second barrel and OAL to reflect .5" shorter.

Alternatively, you can just replace the barrel. It's more expensive, but doesn't require the amendment letter and you won't have to send off your barrel/upper.

So find another barrel, slightly longer, find a gunsmith who will cut/crown and align with your very expensive (and very fine) can. Cut to the same length, it still matches your Form 4 SBR data. Sell the other barrel (caveat "all ATF rules apply").

I'm going through something similar, but can't seem to get Geissele to send me a damned rod although I've paid and they don't answer the effing phone.

edit: got ahold of Geissele. I actually paid Glockkrieg for the rod but after 3+ weeks decided I'd waited enough. Canceled order with Glockkrieg (thank you) which was easy enough. Called Geissele, spoke with (I don't recall his name) and ordered the rod. Had it two days later.

This seems to be a wholesaler vs. retailer supply issue.

Problem solved (and my .308 cans are FINE, which is puzzing, because my AAC 7.62-SDN-6 plain SUCKS for accuracy).

That is all.

Last edited: