• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All 2026 cars to have a "kill switch"

Im2bent

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2020
    Reactions: Yasherka
    381355564_6887400317949659_5160094444449456086_n.jpeg

I thought that had gone into effect starting in 2022? Maybe I am misremembering.

If anyone cares, not really. Kill switch means remote, it is not.

It is to build in some level of driver impairment detector then stop (likely, if you ask me, go to limp home mode so can only go slow with hazards on etc).

And the way this works is if the automakers drag their feet enough, cannot get a workable solution etc it'll never happen.

It is to build in some level of driver impairment detector then stop (likely, if you ask me, go to limp home mode so can only go slow with hazards on etc).

And the way this works is if the automakers drag their feet enough, cannot get a workable solution etc it'll never happen.
    Also I went and found this: https://www.cargroup.org/a-brief-ov...f-the-infrastructure-investment-and-jobs-act/

I don't see anything about a kill-switch but there's an automatic shut-off if you're idling for too long. How long is too long? I don't know, but I've rented cars with irritating anti-idle "features" where the engine would automatically shut off or go into standby mode while sitting at red lights. Pushing the accelerator would more or less make the engine start up again, was kinda a pain.

But the key takeaway in each section there is that automakers are supposed to provide reports if such measures are even worthwhile and effective to begin with, with some not even having deadlines and others being vague about implementation.

If one was implemented using radio waves to turn it on, the antenna could be removed or covered over with metal and grounded. With no signal reaching the device, it would not work.

• Haha
    Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    I'm telling yall. Its been possible for decades.
    They are priming the pump for the future flow.
    All is fair in Love and War

Russian troops stole almost $5 million worth of farm equipment from a John Deere dealer in the occupied city of Melitopol, Ukraine, only to discover that the machines have been shut down remotely, making them inoperable,

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Also I went and found this: https://www.cargroup.org/a-brief-ov...f-the-infrastructure-investment-and-jobs-act/

I don't see anything about a kill-switch but there's an automatic shut-off if you're idling for too long. How long is too long? I don't know, but I've rented cars with irritating anti-idle "features" where the engine would automatically shut off or go into standby mode while sitting at red lights. Pushing the accelerator would more or less make the engine start up again, was kinda a pain.

But the key takeaway in each section there is that automakers are supposed to provide reports if such measures are even worthwhile and effective to begin with, with some not even having deadlines and others being vague about implementation.
    My '23 Yukon has both of those features. There's a switch to disable the auto-shutoff (turns engine off at stop lights, etc.). To extend idle time
    beyond 15 min., hold the push to start button for 10-12 seconds upon start up (only disabled for the current ignition sequence). If you do that, it'll run until it's out of fuel.
    I was a little concerned with the shutdown after 15 min. when I ordered the vehicle, since I usually leave the dog in the backseat when I run errands, but got some answers from Ytube.

Calspan helped developed this technology in the early 90’s for GM, they called it OnStar, since the late 90’s in has been in every vehicle they build.

Last edited:

Fact check in the pit…. You are hilariously funny 😆 or vaxed…..

• Haha
    Reactions: Rthur
    Calspan helped developed this technology in the early 90’s for GM, they called it OnStar, since the late 90’s in has been in every vehicle they build.

OnStar was always an option. Both my trucks (16, LT trim and 18, WT trim) and my wife's car (22, LT trim) are missing OnStar. Once you get to the LTZ or RST trim it will be included by default.

My 03 Denali had it. They changed to digital cell tech in 04, so by the time I bought it used in 08 the OnStar was dead as it couldn't find an analog network to work with... 🤣

With can-bus it's hard to remove the module. It's not hard to unplug the antenna and remove it's ability to communicate though.