• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing All around caliber

CarbonOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Utah
Thought it'd be intresting to hear what your favorite all around big game hunting caliber is and why.

I'm a fan of the big 30's shooting heavy bullets-180+. I'd have to say the 300rum is probably at the top of the list. I know it's a powder eating, shoulder thumping, loud SOB, but it sure packs one hell of a punch.

It's overkill for a lot of north American game, but I'd rather be overgunned than under.

So what's your favorite "all around?" If you hunted from Mexico to Alaska and had to pick one caliber for coues deer on up to Alaskan moose what would it be?

Re: All around caliber

Good ol' 30-06 Springfield.

I have a 300 WSM that's very nice as well, but I have a hard time overlooking the -06 for all around performance. It can be tailored super light to super heavy.

I've got to say a 300WSM. I have one in a 12 twist that will shoot the 155's to through the 210's with authority.

Got to agree with Bohem, My ole 30-06. Only thing I'd be concerned on would be a Grizzly.
smile.gif

.308. I've had friends tell me its boring...but I know better!

Accurate
Easy to shoot(low muzzle blast & recoil)
Economical
Bore friendly...= lots of trigger time = good marksmanship = better shot placement = dead big game animals.

I would say The 30-06. I like a 7mm rem mag to though.

my 7mag has always dropped them in their tracks. only deer i have ever had to track was shot with a .270 and not by me. have also hunted with 7mm-08 and 7mm stw,

I'd have to say the good'ole 50BMG. Shot placement is not an issue and tracking wounded game is a thing of the past. Just be sure to hunt with hearing protection!

Being a huge fan of the 270 Win, but for the sake of arguement I have to agree that the 30'06 would be the best over all.

In reality, I don't believe in "one size fits all".

I may be on the small side but my vote goes to the 260rem and hopfully the 260AI im building now.

My thoughts:

Small to medium sized game: 6mm
Medium to large sized game: 7mm
Brown bear and Africa: .375

As an all-arounder, it's hard to not like anything in the 7mm bore: 280/280AI, 7mm-08, 7mmRM, 7WSM, 284Win, 7x57.

300 Win if it was primarily deer species

My old standby 375 H&H I it's primarily elk, moose, and bear.

The 375 may seem overkill, but in reality I've had very little loss to blood shot meat, I'm comfortable with it out to about 400 yards in hunting situations, and when it speaks stuff just dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308. I've had friends tell me its boring...but I know better!

Accurate
Economical
Bore friendly...= lots of trigger time = good marksmanship = better shot placement = dead big game animals. </div></div>

I gotta agree with PGS here, but a very close second would definately be the '06.

I know this may sound kinda weird but I took a Blaser 93 in 6.5x55 Swede to Africa and Scotland and killed eveything from Eland to Red Stag with a 160 gr. Woodleigh. No problems at all. So go Swede !!!!!!!!!!!!..........................JJ

After watching a brown bear soak up 10 rounds from a 300WSM, I am gonna stick with my 375 H&H. Kills deer, moose, elk, bears, elephant, all dead with no meat damage.

.308 or '06...only cause they are the only rifles i have.

.338-06

Pick your bullet weight for what you are hunting, 180 -250 grains of drop anything in North America to choose from.

Because I am not interested in hunting grizzly bears or shooting animals at ranges in excess of 500 yards, I'll say 260 or 7mm-08.

30-06 if your rifle is 47 years or older, otherwise .300 Winchester Magnum for best all around North American hunting cartridge. African big game is a different story..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought it'd be intresting to hear what your favorite all around <span style="font-weight: bold">big game hunting caliber </span>is and why.

</div></div>

Sako AV 375H&H magnum is my favorite big game rifle/caliber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308. I've had friends tell me its boring...but I know better!

Accurate
Economical
Bore friendly...= lots of trigger time = good marksmanship = better shot placement = dead big game animals.</div></div>

don't forget ammo availabilty... overall a big +1

.308 followed closely by a .308, in third place and not to be outdone is a....wait for it....308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting the 30.06 is cleaning house. </div></div>

Try finding .XXX caliber in East Bumfuck. More than likely .30-30, and .30-06, will be on the shelf of the smallest general store. Other may as well but for sure those two.

Good luck

Jerry

7mm Rem Magnum, from antelope to elk is my preference. However, with that being said my second choice would be the 300 Rum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 Win if it was primarily deer species

My old standby 375 H&H I it's primarily elk, moose, and bear.

The 375 may seem overkill, but in reality I've had very little loss to blood shot meat, I'm comfortable with it out to about 400 yards in hunting situations, and when it speaks stuff just dies. </div></div>

couldnt have said better...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308. I've had friends tell me its boring...but I know better!

Accurate
Economical
Bore friendly...= lots of trigger time = good marksmanship = better shot placement = dead big game animals. </div></div>

I gotta agree with PGS here, but a very close second would definately be the '06. </div></div>

+1 I use a 308 but with either 308 or 30-06 you can load them to do anything you want.

Always have and always will use 308. Has killed everything I need it to and ammo is always available. In can be loaded down to acceptable recoil for a youngun and with heavier, premium bullets, performs well on larger game. Don't know if I'd tackle grizzlies with it, but then again, don't have many of those around these parts.

25-06 all the way up to mule deer, then 308. But sometimes just because I can, 325wsm to see the carnage.

375 H&H all the way. Like the movie "Johnny Dangerously."
Danny Vermin says "It shoots thru schools!"

Fast twist 270 WSM, 110gr to 175 gr bullets! 338 Norma is in hot contention though. Fully agree with the 308 guys, burning a barrel of every year is tiresome!!!

Very interesting, but not surprising I guess, to see the good 'ol 30-06 so popular on this thread. I guess a century plus old cartridge will live on for many more years ... and rightfully so.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more available, more capable all around cartridge for anything on the North American Continent ... my vote also goes for the '06 ... but a .308 is a VERY close second :)

.30-'06, lighter bullets (150's) for 300yd and under. Brush, .44Mag carbine, restricted, 20ga slugs. 'Chucks 'n such, Deuce.

Greg

with the increase in bullet technology, you dont need the bigger stuff most of the time IMO.....east of the mississippi you certainly dont need anything you cant get in a short action

all around? not a caliber at all, but a gauge - 12ga. that will accept 2 3/4" to 3.5" shells - can go from shooting doves to bear with one cycle of the action and the appropriate shell dropped in. shells are available just about everywhere.

rifle cal. off the shelf ammo -
.3006 w/ 150 gr for deer, 180 gr for bigger stuff

but i prefer a .308 w/ 165 gr for deer, 180 gr or heavier heads for bigger stuff, with the ability to use 110 vmax for smaller stuff, and the shorter action saves space and weight.

6.5x55mm because it is so versatile, accurate, flat shooting, vast bullet selection (85-160gr.), and has adequate energy for North America hunting.

All around rifle cartridge:.308 Win has to get my vote due to ammo availability and length of barrel life, but otherwise I might say 300 Win Mag.

But TP is right...with the right loads the 12 GA will pretty much do it all.