• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing all day yote hunting?

Re: all day yote hunting?

This time of year I hunt all day. The days are short up here in the winter and on the good days to call I try to make the most of them. A lot of days the best action is in the middle of the day......very apparent when aerial hunting.

from Nov through Mar, we hunt all day long, it gets too hot here in AZ to hunt in the summer months except early morning. This time of year is also pretty exciting since they're starting to pair up and howling works better(in my opinion). good luck.

I hunt all day in winter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This time of year I hunt all day. The days are short up here in the winter and on the good days to call I try to make the most of them. A lot of days the best action is in the middle of the day..... </div></div>

yup +1

We have really cruddy luck when we go Yote hunting here in AZ and i understand it should be hard not to get some from what i've heard from fellow hunters that live hear so i must be doing something wrong. I hunt all day when i go to increase my odds of getting something. If im not eating at camp, im hunting. We usually only end up getting rabbits when we go for yotes

alright so looks like I'm going to try a few all day hunts down here in Louisiana lol. summer would suck to hunt all day though lol

ok secondary question, if hunting all day can you re-hunt a stand in the afternoon if you hunted it in the early morning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, hunt all day long this time of year, and you most positively re-stand. </div></div>

You ever have much luck hunting the same spots twice a day?

I would assume you call from a different location and use a different sound eh?

I wouldn't hunt the same stand, some people do and with great success but coyote's are very intelligent creatures. They may be the ones playing tricks on you if you hunt the same place all day. Try both though, you'll never know untill you try both

I would never do it either. But I'm sure it depends where you're at, and how many coyotes you have running around. Where I'm at we don't have that dense of a coyote population to call the same spots 2-3 times a season, let alone twice a day. They smarten up in a hurry.

The sound really doesn't matter. I don't re-stand frequently. I have done it as a plan "b" when plan "a" won't work out; the most common example being a rancher who is driving his pickup to check his animals, water, etc. Don't assume that because you have shot and missed you are blown out of the stand either. I have killed coyotes on a re-stand only after a couple of hours after having left.

I hunt a couple of stands a day and will usually hunt one or two of them again at night,after leaveing some type of bait out.Most times I won't even have to call them in with the bait.The dogs in my area are very wary and will only come out after dark in the winter,so I won't even try to hunt them during the day.Vary your calling volume and types of calls you use.Hopefully you won't let them get away and have to worry about getting a second chance at them.Good Luck,
STEVE

For up here, calling old ground repeatedly is gonna get you the half mile staring contest more times than you'd like. Not to say I dont do it, I may hit a stand in early December, and again a month later, I always use a new sound the second time around, and try to relocate my precise stand location, but a coyote is much more intelligent than most give em credit for, and that "cooling off" period for a spot is pretty important in my eyes.

Coyote hunting has gotten mighty popular up here the last five years. Just because I haven't hit that spot in a month, doesn't mean a dozen other guys haven't. I know of areas that are seeing callers every weekend all winter. Tis best to just avoid these areas entirely.

Coyotes travel way more than one may realize, it's usually either trotting to find something to eat or stalking something to eat....
Coyotes travel around 32-33 miles per day based on research and or tracking.
Think about it... Have you ever seen a coyote sitting still for long?...Nope!
They are just wary creatures and if you look like a human and they see you or smell you.....Their gone.
I hunt various farms and sometimes you will see them around a particular area and sometimes you won't see them for a few weeks.
I killed two in one day within 5 minutes and 500 yards of each other. They were really hungry for field mice I guess.
The next day I killed one in the same field as I did the day before.
All this was without setting up and without calling them in.
Just a good oportunity to rid a friends farm of some unwanted varmits.
.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Coyotes <span style="font-weight: bold">may</span> travel around 32-33 miles per day based on research and or tracking.
</div></div>

Fixed it for ya.
grin.gif

Yeah, in some habitats they can run quite large territories. They may be in one end of their core area one day, and may not be back there for a few weeks. Seasonal movement of key prey species can also dictate where they are at certain times of the year. In situations like this, re-calling spots wont hurt a guy as much.

In others, not so much. If an area has ample cover, and ample food sources, you may see more coyotes in smaller territories. Also, higher coyote population densities (along with ample cover and food) will mean smaller territories. In these situations, re-calling spots means your likely to be calling to the same individuals you were tooting at the last time you were there.

If a coyote finds everything he needs for survival and safety all year in a five square mile chunk of ground, the likelihood of him leaving that area is reduced. If not, than the likelihood of him ranging far are increased.

Each area is different.

Each time a coyote gets tooted at and not killed, he gets harder to get a positive call response from. This is especially true if the sound is accompanied by a negative run-in with man. Which for coyotes, is just about any run-in.