• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All in one AR - need advice

RECKON SO

Minuteman
Jul 7, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I am trying to take maximum advantage of the fact that you can just swap uppers on an AR15 and have a whole different animal. Ive got the standard 5.56 setup but I aint sure which would be a wise choice for another upper of a different caliber for the occasional 1000yd shot or when more penetration/power is needed, I know at a certain point that it would turn into a "bolt gun" because of magazine size, Ive even found 50bmg single shot uppers that will pin up, but Im not sure if those would be a good idea or not. Anybody here have a "Do-All" AR15 that there getting good service out of?

MUCH OBLIGED

Re: All in one AR - need advice

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">6.5 Grendel</span></span>

I know alot of guys that shoot out to 1K with the Grendel.
Most of the bullets like the 123gr. Lapua Scenar are still super-sonic at 1,100yrds and it will fit on any AR-15 lower, you do not need a AR-10 style lower.

There is no round/caliber better that will fit on a standard AR-15 upper, in my opinion for long range.

For a 50BMG upper you will be paying at least 2K for the upper amd then 50BMG ammo is very expensive. I have heard alot of those 50BMG uppers coming apart and injuring the shooter also, not my choice for an upper.......ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">6.5 Grendel</span></span>

I know alot of guys that shoot out to 1K with the Grendel.
Most of the bullets like the 123gr. Lapua Scenar are still super-sonic at 1,100yrds and it will fit on any AR-15 lower, you do not need a AR-10 style lower.

There is no round/caliber better that will fit on a standard AR-15 upper, in my opinion for long range.

For a 50BMG upper you will be paying at least 2K for the upper amd then 50BMG ammo is very expensive. I have heard alot of those 50BMG uppers coming apart and injuring the shooter also, not my choice for an upper.......ever. </div></div>
+1 this is what you are looking for: bigger bullet and more performance but still in an AR form factor.

Another great choice is the 6mmAR: http://www.6mmar.com/

Good deal, Ill dig around and see what I can find on the 6.5. Reckon magazines would be hard to come by, or by some odd chance would they use the same mags. Do I have it right that once I move away from an upper/caliber combo that will feed through the mag well that Im am starting down a long road of comprimises and aggrevation?

MUCH OBLIGED ON THE FEEDBACK

C-products makes 6.5 Grendel mags and so does AA but the C-products ones are alot easier to find in stock. The regular .223 mags will NOT work with the Grendel ammo.

I dont have any experience with the 6.5G, would it be along the same lines as say the 280rem or maybe a light weight 308? I am just trying to get a fix on the general power of the round.

The 6.5G usually sends 123's around 2560 fps out of a longer barrel.

If you reload then one of the 6mmAr's are spectacular performers.

6mmART40 ='s 105's at 2900fps.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5G usually sends 123's around 2560 fps out of a longer barrel.

If you reload then one of the 6mmAr's are spectacular performers.

6mmART40 ='s 105's at 2900fps.

Steve </div></div>

+1 to a 6mm