• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All in one, or RF & Kestrel

slowworm

Low speed, High Drag
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2004
New Hampshire
So I'm looking into getting a rangefinder and doing some research, reading manuals and the like. Last time I did this, rangefinders were just that, LOS range.

I've also kinda been living under rock for a decade (long story with some very, very low times in my life) and now find that rangefinders have built in ballistic calculators and can talk to weather meters like the kestrel. And the kestrel I find is now also available as a ballistic calculator, that happens to have a weather meter. Ok, my brain now hurts.

It seems that there are 2 approaches to this. One is to get an all in one device that has the full Applied Ballistics engine, like the Sig KILO2400ABS. The other approach is to get something like the Leica 2800 or the KILO 2400BDX that has AB lite but can also connect to a Kestrel 5700 Elite for the full AB experience.

There's really 2 key questions in my mind.

One is the trade off between an all in one solution, like the KILO2400ABS, versus two pieces of gear. One the plus side, it's all in one. On the down side it it goes down, you lose everything. It also doesn't read wind, but I think that wind meters can be a bit overrated when the terrain is not flat.

On the other hand, something like the BDX version has AB lite (out to 800) if the Kestrel does down, and if the rangefinder goes down I have my Mildot Master, so I have redundancy. I'm tending toward the paring of a rangefinder and kestrel partly because of this.

The other is the difference between AB and AB lite out to say 600 yards or so in terms of first round hit on say a full size IPSC target. AB Lite doesn't take into account things like scope height so far as I can tell. Let's assume its a dead calm day, so we are just looking at drop. My guess is that it will be a couple of clicks elevation out at most, so for all practical considerations I believe it's a wash. But confirmation of that would be great.

I intend to shoot mainly 308 out to 1100 yards max. I hope to add a 6.5x47 or 6.5 Creed to the mix, but I'm loathe to expand my cartridge mix with primers in such short supply.

Finally, I really don't like using my phone in the field, so I'm not looking for an app based solution.

Thoughts and wisdom would be appreciated.

I wouldn't need a Kestrel at all if it weren't for the wind reading ability. To me, the wind reading ability of the Kestrel is invaluable.

My favorite solution is to have a Kestrel and manually input the range from a good rangefinder. This offers me as much flexibility as possible and seems to work in all scenarios I have found. In a long distance hunting scenario I have enough time to use both devices. If I don't have enough time then I simply shouldn't take a shot that would have been rushed anyways.

I would recommend getting a pair of SIG3000BDX binos. They have very good glass and a great laser. Kinda 2 birds, one stone, and it has the ability to communicate with a Kestrel when you decide to get one. You can use them to spot if you shoot matches, glassing when hunting, or whatever style shooting you do. I also find it less straining than looking through a monocular style LRF. This is the set up I'm currently running after trying a few different combinations, and i'm very happy with it.

I would recommend getting a pair of SIG3000BDX binos. They have very good glass and a great laser. Kinda 2 birds, one stone, and it has the ability to communicate with a Kestrel when you decide to get one. You can use them to spot if you shoot matches, glassing when hunting, or whatever style shooting you do. I also find it less straining than looking through a monocular style LRF. This is the set up I'm currently running after trying a few different combinations, and i'm very happy with it.
Agree wholeheartedly. If you are looking for the easy button, this is it. The 3000BDX works well and is easy to use. The Kestrel Elite w/link has your ballistic solution and is one of the easiest solutions to true. Once paired you are good to go and probably one of the most economical solutions out there. There are other ways to get there but the Kestrel really helps avoid input errors for accurate solutions.

Struggled with the same question. Ended up with the new Vortex Fury 5000 AB binos and upgraded my Kestrel 5700 to an Elite.

These two units work together well. I get my Enviro from the Kestrel when paired.

Otherwise the Fury provides the same info; just have to use the wind capture for wind direction and guesstimate the wind speed.

Entered my gun profiles into both units; used the same gun profiles names in both.

'Buy once - cry once.' YMMV

Cheers

I have the kilo3000BDX and Leica HDB binos. The glass in the sig and vortex fury is meh at best. Don’t let anyone hype it up or tell you different. That being said I think they’re so far the most reliable solution. I’d love for the Leica 3200.com to be more reliable in terms of dropping Bluetooth connection to a kestrel.
I actually used my 3000bdx today at a match linked with my foretrex 701 as my primary solver and kestrel as a backup. I typically hunt with that setup and really like it for the work flow.

Reactions: Garmin