• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

All things Steyr SBS-Pro Hunter

3526.jpeg

130g Prime
3530.jpeg

140 ELD Match
3528.jpeg

147g ELD Match

6.5 CM THB with original stock @100yds
These were all of bipod. I have a lot more groups with different ammo but they weren't worth posting.. 120g ELD, Federal-Berger 130g were over 1MOA.

Just ordered a copper Creek load Dev PAC with 153g. Will post results once completed.

Boyd's stock issues. This is the varmit.

IMG_20191019_094236 (2)_LI.jpg

IMG_20191005_233637.jpg

So from where about the glass ends to the end of the stock, I had to cut out about a 1/4 inch on each side and sand out about another 3/8 in on the front to accommodate the THB barrel. The action fit pretty damn good. I will be doing a couple more mods, carbon fiber reenforcements. Also if there is any improvement in accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kamerad
Boyd's stock issues. This is the varmit.

View attachment 7166811

So from where about the glass ends to the end of the stock, I had to cut out about a 1/4 inch on each side and sand out about another 3/8 in on the front to accommodate the THB barrel. The action fit pretty damn good. I will be doing a couple more mods, carbon fiber reenforcements.
Was the stock listed as fitting a Pro Hunter, as opposed to the Pro THB? I still wouldn’t expect it would require that much inletting, simply for a heavier barrel profile.

Was the stock listed as fitting a Pro Hunter, as opposed to the Pro THB? I still wouldn’t expect it would require that much inletting, simply for a heavier barrel profile.
It was just listed as the Pro Hunter SA. I put in the notes that it was a THB, but that didn't get me anywhere. I had to take out quite a bit of material but it wasn't anything a dremel couldn't handle. It's worth the hassle as far as compared to the stock one.

Thread for the uncommon Steyr bolt actions.

Please post any pics or upgrades you have found or done

Shot groups and load developments

Rebarreling

Stock options
A81ECB21-8677-494A-ACF3-2DDB4905958A.jpeg

SSG-04, 308, 23.6 inch barrel, factory stock. Finally had time to put it together last night, no rounds through it yet.

Reactions: chickon1
Looking sexy.
Thanks!
14DC6F29-AFF9-422A-B312-12E3EAFB5374.jpeg
F6FCB90E-874A-4E13-B2C1-23F59E1B2FEA.jpeg

Break-in underway. Bore sighted at 50 yards. Adjusted 1 Mil, then moved to 100 yards. Then the range closed for the day. I decided to go by Steyrs’ break-in recommendation; 3, clean, 3 clean, 10 clean, and off to the races.

For my skill level, I’m pleased with the initial results!

I picked up this Pro-Hunter in 300WSM back around 2006, have never seen another one. Shortly after I got it there was a stock on clearance on the McMillan website for a short action Pro-Hunter. I bought it, but the action screws on my rifle wouldn't line up with the stock so I sent it back. Apparently this action is a little bit different length than the regular short action rifles???
So, I ended up just having the factory stock painted.
Absolutely Love this rifle! Its my go to hunting rifle, shot more deer than I can count and a couple of bears as well...
DSC03506.JPG

DW

Reactions: jb313 and Kamerad
Thread for the uncommon Steyr bolt actions.

Please post any pics or upgrades you have found or done

Shot groups and load developments

Rebarreling

Stock options
Having owned three of these...I wished I had known about the rebarrel....They were one of the first to chamber in 260. Even though the twist was 1 in 9 back then. Barrels were very accurate and looked neat with the Twist on the outside. I doubt you'll find a nicer two stage trigger .I wish I had kept the wood stock 20 inch 260 it was a great whitetail gun.....

Reactions: eddie102870
I'm a big fan. They're excellent guns.

I've found that the best accuracy is achieved by, as the manual states, tightening the action to the stock at exactly 7nm.

SSG08 6.5cm

Last edited:
Reactions: Kamerad
Evaluating different factory loads for the SSG 04 308. Here are some examples of results.
7D4DD685-657D-4D12-9ED6-895BE63F744D.jpeg
9AC7B00A-7976-42D3-9654-7356BF0C0359.jpeg
D8B31E9C-8308-4368-A857-93D0BDD67168.jpeg

I’ve heard that Magtech will discontinue using the 168 grain SMK, due to Sierra price increases. That would be disappointing.

Really enjoying this rifle.

Are you asking about the extended magazine well and ten round magazine or the new ten round magazine for use in guns without the mag well?

I haven't even seen the new mags for sale yet, but have had excellent results with the normal ten round magazines.

Are you asking about the extended magazine well and ten round magazine or the new ten round magazine for use in guns without the mag well?

I haven't even seen the new mags for sale yet, but have had excellent results with the normal ten round magazines.
New magazines?

Ya.. These are just the standard SBS 10rds mags.

The new magazines look just like the old style that you use in the extended magwell except Steyr moved the tabs to secure it from the bottom of the magazine to the top near the feed lips. I asked them about it on facebook and they gave me the part number and said to call direct to purchase because they weren't listed yet. When I get unbanned from there I'll see what the number was, lol.

Just got unbanned from fakebook last nite, lol, the part # for the 10 round mags if NOT using the extended mag well adapter is 6607050501

Reactions: C_Does
Just got unbanned from fakebook last nite, lol, the part # for the 10 round mags if NOT using the extended mag well adapter is 6607050501
I picked up a MCS 6.5 thb and a bunch of these new standalone mags. They’re pretty nice and I wish I could use them on my other newer SSG Steyr guns instead of the typical big mag and mag well setup.

Reactions: Sinned
How does that 10 round mag feel in the manners stock, secure, no problems feeding, how about accidentally dropping?

How does that 10 round mag feel in the manners stock, secure, no problems feeding, how about accidentally dropping?
These mags have the provision for single round loading of the SBS/SSG mags. As you can see, the single round loading only has one tab, so with the first position to load single rounds it actually doesn't feel as secure as the two latch style. I don't see this a concern for myself because I typically do not single feed. With the magazine fully locked in on the second position latches, it feels rock solid just like any other SBS/SSG mag. I haven't had any feeding issues or problems with the new magazines (or the older style). With these new standalone mags, the release is now the large hinged pieces on the side of the mag body with the large Steyr logo. The hinge point is at the bottom near the floorplate and the springs are sufficiently strong to preclude accidental bumps or pressure. Both hinged releases have to be pressed for the mag to drop, and due to the design you have to be pressing fairly high up (i.e. next to the stock). Apart from the single round feeding single latch, these mags are solid and I don't foresee any issues, nor have I had any issues to date.

Reactions: Kamerad and Sinned
What is the point of changing the magazine design? To remove the need for the adapter?

What is the point of changing the magazine design? To remove the need for the adapter?
I think the point of changing the design is to 1. eliminate the need for the adapter, and 2. allow anyone with an SBS type action to use 10rd capacity magazines and the typical low hunting restricted mags. For someone with the new THB guns, these mags will be very useful.

I briefly considered buying a magwell and having it cerakoted to match the MCS stock, but decided to go with the mags instead. I'm glad I did so because I really like these new mags compared to the magwell adapter setup.

Ah, ok. Makes sense.

I’ve been looking all over, and have yet to find any regular 10 rd mags in stock in the US. Found some in South Africa, though. May as well be on the moon, can’t ship to the US.

I pulled the gun apart before torquing the action to the stock at the recommended 7 nm. I was also wondering what the manners mini action looks like in the Steyr stock. Also, manners confirmed that the stock is the PRS-2 modified for Steyr. Manners said that they cannot sell the stock separately nor inlet any other stocks for the Steyr action.

krp6WPJ.jpg
kKY0ipK.jpg
5yGNcxU.jpg

Reactions: Kamerad and Sinned
Steyr USA did have the manners stock listed on there website for sale last time I had looked, not sure if still available though. I had wondered if it would fit the ssg 04 and what exactly are the differences between the thb and ssg? Anyone know?

Steyr USA did have the manners stock listed on there website for sale last time I had looked, not sure if still available though. I had wondered if it would fit the ssg 04 and what exactly are the differences between the thb and ssg? Anyone know?
It’s an awesome stock and if you can afford it you should buy it.

From experience and also speaking with Steyr’s gunsmith, the SSG action and the THB/SBS actions are identical. I can confirm that the THB action fits both the SSG04 stock and SSG08 chassis (and vice versa).

Differences between the SSG and the THB are model identifier markings and thread pitch (beside obvious differences like the stock, etc.). The trigger mechanisms and bolts are also identical.

I've got the Manners THB 6.5 and the flat on the bottom of the recoil lug hit the mini chassis. On mine it wouldn't settle into the v block portion of the front chassis. My barrel could slide side to side a little with the front screw snug.

I tried cutting a little off the bottom of the removable recoil lug, but it laughed at my carbide fly cutter. I ended up milling the top flat surface of the recoil lug area down in the mini chassis. Then once settled in the v block the front of the barrel hit the inlet. Relieved the first 1-1/2" of the inlet.

It looks like yours may be touching also, may want to check.

1614574421163.png

Reactions: Chiavettas_Yum!
Thanks, 357. I don’t have any movement but will take it down to make sure everything is fitting as it should.

I moved the Steiner to the SSG-04, in new ARC M10’s. More drilling and 5 minute epoxy work to install B&T pic rail BT-17, replacing the factory front sling swivel. A Warne bipod now sits up front after sending the Harris down the road.

I’ll finally have time to re-zero this week, with ammo from Creedmoor Sports and Ruag I’ve been waiting to try out!

Attachments

• 46A53398-6B36-4F41-919E-386FEF47B656.jpeg
    46A53398-6B36-4F41-919E-386FEF47B656.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 520
Reactions: 357Max
That’s a good lookin rifle.

What scope mount is that? And that piece on top of the front ring?
Thanks

The mount is a Spuhr SP-4001 & that piece is an Accuracy first level actually just slid up tight to the front of the mount.

https://accuracy1st.com/products/34mm-black-anodized-aluminum-scope-level?variant=32197721555015

I'm looking forward to working up a load for it. So far only shot factory loads through it.

It likes Hornady 147 eldm's
IMG_5341.jpg

It does not like Berger 140 hybrids

It also likes the Prime 130's They shot about 3" group @ 550

6.5 Creedmoor 130 Prime and DPMS 175 FGMM.jpg
IMG_5680.jpg
IMG_5679.jpg

My attempt at making a decent stock for the THB. I took a boyd's stock and turned it into this.

Extended it about 4-5 inches for the 419 acra rail with carbon fiber sheets and fiberglass
Built up the handle with fiberglass
Leveled out the bag rider
Cut in a better rear hand brace
Added a thumb rest.
Build up around the action with fiberglass because it was so thing after fitting the action properly.
And my attempt at mimicking a foundation stock finish.

Attachments

• PXL_20210307_170349678.jpg
    PXL_20210307_170349678.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20210307_170355968.jpg
    PXL_20210307_170355968.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20210307_170404282.jpg
    PXL_20210307_170404282.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 122
  • PXL_20210307_170426196.jpg
    PXL_20210307_170426196.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20210307_170526974.jpg
    PXL_20210307_170526974.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20210307_170530090.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210307_170530090.MP.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 93
Anyone have the drop on 10rd mags for the TBH? Do you need the adaptor? From the pics on this post, it looks like they snap into the factory well location.

Anyone have the drop on 10rd mags for the TBH? Do you need the adaptor? From the pics on this post, it looks like they snap into the factory well location.
No adapter needed. It just clicks in where the typical low capacity mag would.

You’ll need to call Steyr to purchase the mags. As far as I could ascertain, no online retailer is selling them.

Just to be clear, you have to call Steyr USA and give them the part #, they nor anyone else have the new mag listed online. Everything I've seen listed just doing a cursory search shows the magazine that requires an adapter. Steyr's online presence is atrocious but actually calling, several times sometimes, usually gets an answer, usually, LOL...

Yes. That’s how I was able to buy them.
The only other person with these new magazines is @357Max I wonder if he also called in to purchase the mags?