• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors All you guys with Cans

RollinCoal11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
GA
Once you get one do you ever shoot without it. Just curious. I'm getting ready to order a TBAC 30-P1 and am wondering how often I'll use it

Re: All you guys with Cans

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWOAF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why would you? </div></div>

Yeah, That's pretty much what I figured

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KrazyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's possible to shoot a firearm with out a suppressor? </div></div>

+1

Although there are some states where you can't hunt with them, but otherwise always. Even started to alienate friends (due to sound, not a snob thing) who didn't have them, until they got one.

Reminded of the saying "once you go ..... you'll never go back."

I have heard, but not confirmed that you can hunt in Washington with a can. Not too many wild hogs though. JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maclowry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you hunt suppressed in tx? </div></div>

Game animals, nope. Nuisance animals like hogs, yotes and the such, yes.

With my TBAC 30p-1 I get the benefit of increased accuracy reduced noise and recoil. so suffice to say I don't shoot without it.

I've noted some "flyers" when using my cans at distance. Can't explain what i've seen. For precision work I leave them off now. I also prefer the recoil reduction of a brake over the can. I have an AAC 7.62SD and a Shark JAWS.

I will shoot at the local range without a can. I just don't see a point in using my can, when the guys in the other lanes are shooting magnums with brakes. YMMV
crazy.gif

Any other time, I will use the cans though.
whistle.gif

Suppressors on the range always come with the question - are they legal? Of which I get into the conversation of the legality of suppressors and how they are obtained. They walk away with a quizzical look on their face and probably are still thinking I am doing something illegal.

I try and keep my suppressors on the majority of the time but do change them from rifle to rifle.

I almost never shoot with my can because it's heavy and loooong, especially in competition. I hope to change that with a cyclone-k or similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost never shoot with my can because it's heavy and loooong, especially in competition. I hope to change that with a cyclone-k or similar. </div></div>

One shouldn't jump into buying something just because you want it now!

Get a TBAC 30P-1 and be done with it.

I don't shoot rude unless I'm at a 3gun. It's rumored that suppressed rifles won't register on the shot timers reliably, so I go without. Other than that...no.

Never, In fact once you shoot suppressed you will not go back unless you are required. A word of caution... Suppressors are like tattoo's, you won't have just one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never.</div></div>

Easy does it.

Absolutely not. I have started buying suppressors and optics first...and then start thinking about what to put them on.
I'll never shoot without my cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't shoot rude unless I'm at a 3gun. It's rumored that suppressed rifles won't register on the shot timers reliably, so I go without. Other than that...no. </div></div>

I have measured a suppressed AM180 on a PACT timer.

Ray, I have seen the POI drift with some cans when hot (not TBA cans) after 20+ shots total. Could this be because the can seats against the shelf of the barrel and heats the end of the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goin' Hot. A can should not cause a flyer. </div></div>

I know it "shouldn't" but I don't see the same results when shooting without the cans. I can't explain it so, rather than put up with it, I don't run a can when the hits count.

I regularly check for proper tightness and I have never ran in to a loose can. Can't explain what I've witnessed.

I usually just leave the suppressor on my 260 Remington, but I do sometimes wonder if it's worth the bother of the extra weight and length in matches where everybody else is running a brake.

I really, really, really hate it when the guy next to me is making my nose bleed with his obnoxious brake and I'm shooting suppressed.
--

AAC Cyclone in competition has held up phenomenally. Aside from weight and length, never take it off.

got 4800 rnds on my rifle since it was built 18 months ago. i'd guess (75 rnds x 5 f-class matches) 4400 of them went through my TBAC 30P-1, and i think at least half of those were in matches or classes.

highly recommend it. i almost never shoot without it

edit: and most shot timer sensitivity can be set to pick up a can, but i sure wouldn't expect most ROs to stop and futz with it in a match

I took it off when I got a new barrel, checked/noted the zero without the can(just in case) and haven't shot without it since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friends don't let friends shoot UN suppressed. </div></div>

What he said!

Was at the range Saturday when I got the bright idea to try shooting my 338 LM un-suppressed for the first time ever.

So i replaced my can with the muzzle brake and I notified the range master, who was only a couple feet away and had his back turned to me of what I was doing.
It was a good thing I did. Shooting that thing with the factory brake installed was similar to what I would expect to experience if a grenade went off in my face. The blast and noise was unreal. maybe part of it was from the sound bouncing around under the tin roof, but still....

I will never, ever be firing 338 again unsuppressed again...sheesh. Call me a wuss, but good lord, it totally changes the character of the gun.

Parker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friends don't let friends shoot UN suppressed. </div></div>

What he said! </div></div>

Yep, TD browbeat the crap outta me until I bought a can. Thanks TD, It's much quieter now!

I have 1 for three rifles and pretty much always have it on what im shooting, I have another one on the way, sharing 1 between 3 is a PITA.

Suppressor's should be like mufflers on cars, against the law NOT to have one on it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sharing 1 between 3 is a PITA.</div></div>

That's my impression too.
--

For the bolt gun I bought it for, I never shoot without the QD suppressor. I have a mount for a SCAR 17S as well. I'd rather shoot the SCAR without the can.

Shot most recently w/ friends one shooting a 300 win mag. I was shooting a suppressed 308 LTR for about 50 rounds, switched to a 308 REPR (20" barrel) I don't have a can for (yet, it's coming). Guy with the WM stopped shooting for a while, he said MY gun was too freaking loud.

You DO get used to cans. I own about 10 of 'em.

I'll shoot Magnums without a can at long range sessions because I have a Fat Bastard. I'll accept the added noise, since I wear double hearing protection and recoil reduction with the brake is better. My smaller calibers are always suppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zia shooter 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I now hate to shoot any of my guns that dont have them. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friends don't let friends shoot UN suppressed.</div></div> is that a bumper sticker yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not only do I not shoot without it, I am deeply vexed by those that surround me with their irritating naked muzzles. </div></div>

What's worse is when those people are your friends and complain that it takes too long or it's too expensive to buy a suppressor. Needless to say I've stopped extending the invitation (like another guy said, not because I'm a snob but I can't stand the noise) </div></div>

6 months is a long time today. Then 8 months from now, you think about the suppressor again, and realize you could have had it two months ago if you had just ordered it.

I had a 1911 built ground up once with a custom gunsmith, and it took 3.5 years. 6 months is a long time, but not compared to that saga.

If we could hunt suppressed here in Arizona, then I would always shoot with it on!

I actually weld my cans on so that there is no way for them to come loose while hunting (its legal here!) or target shooting.. Well I don't actually weld them on, but I might as well because I haven't taken any of my cans off since the day I bought them.

Once you hear your rifle suppressed, you will not go back!

Shoot Straight,
Josh

+1000. I seldomly shoot un-suppressed, that's why I bought it!