• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All you need is mid course and terminal guidance

FUCK!

And here I was thinking the round earth thing was fake news!

Seriously, though, that's badass. What an excellent achievement for those students!

1601866122726.png

I used to do these when I was younger and JUST reached out to the rocket club here to inquire about getting the level one cert. for amateur rockets! I think it'll let me launch around 3lb. airframes with the motors I'll be able to get. The second cert. I think goes much higher.

Shooting is expensive enough as it is so I only plan on getting marginally into it but with all the math and physics I took and time on my hands I can build practically anything with $100 at Home Depot with the rocket motor being the only restriction. I think the second cert. requires actual demonstration of the impulse integrals and center of gravity and pressure.

I think the ones above are level 2-3, the heavy ones for sure 3. They can use motors almost as big as the Atlas rocket. Not to mention they can use more than one too.

They also aren't technically going into space... Part of the requirement for all this is a suborbital trajectory on the flight plan and waiver request submitted to the FAA. Can't have more space junk. But I wonder if it applies to rockets that can ESCAPE orbit, because it doesn't say for sure as far as I can tell... Hasn't been a problem until now. Most of the records have all been set in the last twenty years though, I mean impressive ones. Like a 75 mile shot.

But yeah, there are kids with a more successful space program in their basements than N. Korea.

Reactions: Bender
Part of the requirement for all this is a suborbital trajectory on the flight plan and waiver request submitted to the FAA. Can't have more space junk.

You can officially enter space without going into orbit. The Von Karman line (nominally 100 km) defines space and you will fall back down to earth if you don't pass it at or above orbital velocity and trajectory.

The USC rocket lab team did it

Reactions: Bender
Everyone including the US uses metric for space stuff.
Not in the 50s and 60s we didn't.

And before you launch into a dumb rant about how we now need to work with other countries, we don't. We just choose to in order to save money.

We're more than capable to go back and beyond all by ourselves.

A work collegue of mine plays around with some big amateur rockets. Judging by photos and videos, he's made some expensive holes in the desert on occasion.

There is some obvious potential for mischief with this technology. As I understand things, there is some regulation on the propulsion side by our favorite alphabet agency (particlarly when state lines are crossed), the FAA gets involved with launch clearance, and obviously there are things that can and cannot be done with GPS. Staying within those parameters, there are likely some easier ways to create general havoc from above. Regardless, I imagine that some of the larger amateur rocket launch events are well-attended by members of the federal government.

I think the larger point is that a well-educated/-trained/-experienced hobbyist is capable of doing some pretty cool things.

Everyone including the US uses metric for space stuff.

Well, NASA almost always uses the metric system:

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
There is some obvious potential for mischief with this technology. As I understand things, there is some regulation on the propulsion side by our favorite alphabet agency (particlarly when state lines are crossed), the FAA gets involved with launch clearance, and obviously there are things that can and cannot be done with GPS. Staying within those parameters, there are likely some easier ways to create general havoc from above.

The point is that if the need arises to make the playing field above you less one sided if push came to shove, there are plenty of people who have the tools and knowledge to do so. Obviously, doing so means that you will not be staying within anyone's parameters but your own.

PS, GPS is not the only source of guidance and actually not that useful for short to mid range intercepts which happen far too quickly.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
This one still gives me goosebumps.

The point is that if the need arises to make the playing field above you less one sided if push came to shove, there are plenty of people who have the tools and knowledge to do so. Obviously, doing so means that you will not be staying within anyone's parameters but your own.

PS, GPS is not the only source of guidance and actually not that useful for short to mid range intercepts which happen far too quickly.

Agreed. But if that is anyone's plan, they had better jump into this hobby, like, about a decade ago. It's complex shit. Most of the survivalist/militia types are going to struggle with basic comms, much less improvised rocketry.

That being said, it's all basic physics and chemistry and the practical application thereof. The guys doing this stuff are pretty fuckin' bright and have the ability to put theory to practice; it just takes time to learn the details.

Agreed. But if that is anyone's plan, they had better jump into this hobby, like, about a decade ago. It's complex shit. Most of the survivalist/militia types are going to struggle with basic comms, much less improvised rocketry.
That's not the crowd that I'm thinking of. Anyway, this is talent you acquire not grow yourself

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
That's not the crowd that I'm thinking of. Anyway, this is talent you acquire not grow yourself

Well, to acquire it, either go recruit in the middle east, or go look for a bunch of nerdy dudes who have suspiciously dirty hands and deep suntans.

Given the comments I've seen on some threads in the reloading subforums, there will be arguments when it comes to safety :LOL:

I'm a dumbass, as far as rockets go, built one in H.S., but, what kind of clearance(s) do you need, when punching holes in the sky, when you have aircraft traffic/airways, at altitudes those rockets can reach?? Just ATC/TRSA's? Just curious. When I used to ride dirt bikes, off-road, in certain areas of the Calif. desert, I'd sometimes see people launching rockets on dry lake beds. Mac

FUCK!

And here I was thinking the round earth thing was fake news!

Seriously, though, that's badass. What an excellent achievement for those students!
To be fair, only videos showing an earth that looks round uses a fish eye lens camera and very noticeably so. The horizon is flat, then round then the horizon in an inverted U. The one that doesnt use the fisheye lens sure makes the horizon look flat to me. Just saying. Lol

I'm a dumbass, as far as rockets go, built one in H.S., but, what kind of clearance(s) do you need, when punching holes in the sky, when you have aircraft traffic/airways, at altitudes those rockets can reach?? Just ATC/TRSA's? Just curious. When I used to ride dirt bikes, off-road, in certain areas of the Calif. desert, I'd sometimes see people launching rockets on dry lake beds. Mac

There's a specific approval process with the FAA for "high power" rockets. I'll admit that I don't know the details, but obviously one has to select a location that isn't going to cause the FAA rep to pop an aneurysm.