• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alleges Theft of Valor

You see this same type of stuff from those on active duty. Most commands never verify a member's service record to what they wear so many go unreported. I had one command where the first stop was the CMC's office with your service record. Folks walk in with a rack of ribbons and come out with a few. From unearned tridents, jump wings, dive pins, and medals, I have seen several over my time on active duty. I can only imagine what these folks shadow boxes look like now and what they have their family, friends, and neighbors believing.

He's quite the spellbinder.
Lots of energy there. I do hope she's run through the ringer. Most Mil. Vets just want to be left alone, proud to have done what they've done, and to live their lives as they see fit. But, when it comes to Stolen Valor, that's a line that will not be tolerated by most vets, myself included. Mac

You see this same type of stuff from those on active duty. Most commands never verify a member's service record to what they wear so many go unreported. I had one command where the first stop was the CMC's office with your service record. Folks walk in with a rack of ribbons and come out with a few. From unearned tridents, jump wings, dive pins, and medals, I have seen several over my time on active duty. I can only imagine what these folks shadow boxes look like now and what they have their family, friends, and neighbors believing.
We had a guy wearing an unauthorized Airborne wings aka he didn't earn them hence the unauthorized. Field Grade Article 15 and General letter ended him.

The sad thing was she took from programs designed to help real veterans, and some of them could really use the assist (this hits home, I've had one of my kiddos make several attempts, a couple executed their plan with one name really sticks in my head that really bothers me (we were in two units together, used to ride together, he was a really cool guy, would give you the shirt off his back type of guy, we lost contact for a little bit and I started asking around to get back in touch only to find out what had happened)). She caused other veterans to not get into programs because they accepted her and because of her actions donors will be less likely to give because they might be supporting "fakers" versus legitimate.

Funny, you mention Shadow Boxes. Mine's legit, though. Mac(y)
002 (2).jpg

Had a SSgt (USAF E-5) working for me in Korea that went out of his way to get every medal/ribbon available to him. He would volunteer for deployments if it might get extra decorations for his ribbon rack. He was a decent guy, not much of a worker though. Dude had more skittles on his chest than almost every CMSgt. I was "that guy" that would show up to clothing sales the day before ALS or the NCO Academy to build a new rack because I had a bunch stuff missing...hardly ever wore blues/service dress.

i was the same way, especially when I had to get a whole new one and start another row. Fuck that, I’d never been gigged for not wearing ribbons. Pain in the ass.
I have a ribbon board in my cuff link box, but there’s a 99% chance that everything on my dd214 isn’t on it either. Its kind of scuzzy. You wouldn’t wear it. I have no idea where my medals are. I hope I gave them to my Mom, because I don’t have them…

If I had done 20 and retired I’m sure I’d have a shadow box too. As it is…young guy games.

i was the same way, especially when I had to get a whole new one and start another row. Fuck that, I’d never been gigged for not wearing ribbons. Pain in the ass.
I have a ribbon board in my cuff link box, but there’s a 99% chance that everything on my dd214 isn’t on it either. Its kind of scuzzy. You wouldn’t wear it. I have no idea where my medals are. I hope I gave them to my Mom, because I don’t have them…

If I had done 20 and retired I’m sure I’d have a shadow box too. As it is…young guy games.
I did 24 years and retired; don't have a shadow box. I wasn't even going to have any kind of retirement ceremony, but my commander insisted...she said it would be "inconsiderate" to my wife/kids and the younger troops in the unit. So, I half ass caved and tacked it on to the back side of the unit's monthly decoration and promotion gathering.

I did 24 years and retired; don't have a shadow box. I wasn't even going to have any kind of retirement ceremony, but my commander insisted...she said it would be "inconsiderate" to my wife/kids and the younger troops in the unit. So, I half ass caved and tacked it on to the back side of the unit's monthly decoration and promotion gathering.
I also did 24 but I did not have a retirement ceremony. The command I was with deployed about three weeks before I went on terminal, so I was left behind to sit in the office. I stayed until 15:30 on my last day and I just turned out the light and left. I wanted to drive over to RTC in San Diego and leave from the same place I entered but they had already closed it down before my retirement and started tearing it down. I have stuff sitting around to make up a shadow box, just never got around to getting it done. I should get it made up and place it next to my father's that I have on my dresser or hang it in the game room.

Only ribbon I wore was the one everyone got. Actually that one meant something to me.
The number of times I got sent back to tack the other gdunk on finally resulted in a 'Mast.
I got off by taking a discharge. At that point we were sick of each other.

The boys from the suck have an expression for this "...don't mean 'nuthin" . I hope they don't mind me borrowing it .

Non Sibi Sed Patriae

Reactions: greg1147 and fx77
I also did 24 but I did not have a retirement ceremony. The command I was with deployed about three weeks before I went on terminal, so I was left behind to sit in the office. I stayed until 15:30 on my last day and I just turned out the light and left. I wanted to drive over to RTC in San Diego and leave from the same place I entered but they had already closed it down before my retirement and started tearing it down. I have stuff sitting around to make up a shadow box, just never got around to getting it done. I should get it made up and place it next to my father's that I have on my dresser or hang it in the game room.
During my career, I saved most of my squadron/wing patches. After I retired, I stripped my Class A's/1's, zoomie bags, BDU's, then threw everything in a Crown Royal bag, then threw it in a catch-all drawer.
Covid hit 22 years latter and figured I would do something with all of it. Hence, the "box".
The A.F. Vet Flag, was done by my son and DIL.
It's all in my man cave, so the wifey doesn't have to look at it (or clean/dust it), with my racing trophies, dog pics, m/c pics, etc., she calls it my "Love Me" room:ROFLMAO:.
Mac

Funny, you mention Shadow Boxes. Mine's legit, though. Mac(y)
View attachment 7807863
I need to put mine together. Not so much for me but something for my kids. A good friend of mine and my company commander at the time made the net call on the BDE net while we were deployed to announce the birth of my daughter while I was on a combat patrol. "Net call, net call, net call

Some good memories, some bad

How it should be done
While that is how it should be, that is often not how it is done. Of the two that stand out, there was a Chief Petty Officer (E-7 for non-Navy folks) that showed up to attend IDC School with a SEAL trident. He was not a SEAL and never attended BUDS. Not only was he allowed to remain in class, but he also made Senior Chief two years later. The last one I had to deal with on active duty was wearing multiple purple hearts, Navy Commendation medal, Recon pins (Dive and Jump) and was getting ready to retire. Only reason I found out is because the Sergeant Major asked me to get his paperwork together for his retirement ceremony as there were no other navy personnel at his command.

I would see this guy a few times during the year and even deployed with him once, but he could never make Chief, and I always thought it was odd with all of his background and awards why he was not advancing. Long story short, they made him take it off (even though he was caught two more times before he actually retired wearing his pins again) and thought it best to just let it go as he was retiring anyways. That was back in 2003 and recently, in April 2021, this same guy shows up in the paper with the headline "Retired Navy SEAL rescues man that drove off cliff". I thought of hell, here we go again.

• Wow
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
While that is how it should be, that is often not how it is done. Of the two that stand out, there was a Chief Petty Officer (E-7 for non-Navy folks) that showed up to attend IDC School with a SEAL trident. He was not a SEAL and never attended BUDS. Not only was he allowed to remain in class, but he also made Senior Chief two years later. The last one I had to deal with on active duty was wearing multiple purple hearts, Navy Commendation medal, Recon pins (Dive and Jump) and was getting ready to retire. Only reason I found out is because the Sergeant Major asked me to get his paperwork together for his retirement ceremony as there were no other navy personnel at his command.

I would see this guy a few times during the year and even deployed with him once, but he could never make Chief, and I always thought it was odd with all of his background and awards why he was not advancing. Long story short, they made him take it off (even though he was caught two more times before he actually retired wearing his pins again) and thought it best to just let it go as he was retiring anyways. That was back in 2003 and recently, in April 2021, this same guy shows up in the paper with the headline "Retired Navy SEAL rescues man that drove off cliff". I thought of hell, here we go again.

Weak leaders which is no suprise...guy should of had his dick slammed in the door on the way out busted down without retirement

Last edited:

How the fuck does that happen? West Coast? That is hard for me to believe, period. Your records are with the YNs/PNs! WTF?

We had a guy wearing an unauthorized Airborne wings aka he didn't earn them hence the unauthorized. Field Grade Article 15 and General letter ended him.

I had a Private come to reception for the 82nd back in the late 90's without jump wings on. Cadre told him he had to wear his jump wings all the time as it was a Division policy, so he went and got them sewn on.

He even did a jump before anyone figured out he never went to jump school. This was not the kids fault and everyone knew it. The Commanding General gave him a Army Achievement Medal and got him sent to Benning for the next class and he showed up to jump school with a jump log.......... His entire chain of command and NCO support chain was relieved. After that we had a 100% inspection of Jump logs, airborne orders, and Graduation Certificates form Airborne School. It was not a fun time.

At the time 100% of the entire Division had to be on jump status, so nobody should have come without going to Airborne school.

No the same thing but a funny story.

I had a Private come to reception for the 82nd back in the late 90's without jump wings on. Cadre told him he had to wear his jump wings all the time as it was a Division policy, so he went and got them sewn on.

He even did a jump before anyone figured out he never went to jump school. The Commanding General got him sent to Benning for the next class and he showed up to jump school with a jump log.......... His entire chain of command and NCO support chain was relieved. After that we had a 100% inspection of Jump logs, airborne orders, and Graduation Certificates form Airborne School. It was not a fun time.

At the time 100% of the entire Division had to be on jump status, so nobody should have come without going to Airborne school.

Holy F I can't even imagine what was going through his head loading into that bird.... Coming from a 5 jump chump that is freaking wild.....

Who cares?

If some nut wants to dress up and tell big fish stories, if that threatens your valor, your valor must have been pretty weak.

Shy of them trying to do this to sneak into a base or something, I have not a fuck to give.

A fool is parted with his money, maybe he should get all bent out of shape for the bum who says he needs money for his family, when he’s actually single and uses it to buy drugs. Same shit different toilet.

Last edited:
Big army did a purge a handful of years back. Said anyone they sent to jump school owed the big green machine 3 years on status, or they would have their wings revoked.

• Wow
Reactions: Not a Sniper
Big army did a purge a handful of years back. Said anyone they sent to jump school owed the big green machine 3 years on status, or they would have their wings revoked.

3yrs forced labor to jump a shitty static line round?

Legit, do they also train the cargo they drop with rounds 😂

I have zero desire to jump that antique equipment, ram air or I ain’t jumping.

I never did the "I love me wall" while I was in. Was kinda weird enough wearing dress uniforms for me. I was married then and the kids were young'uns.

After I left-I divorced (kids were still pretty young), and the the new woman asked why I didn't have one of them boxes. I set it up as she was seriously asking why I wasn't "proud" of my time-well, I was, just didn't need the box as... I lived it. That all said-my boys do seem to appreciate it hanging there. And, truth be told, many years on, I sometimes see it and remember so many awesome people and places I had been... it is a shame I waited so long in hindsight. Those decades were likely most of the best of what I could do in this world to influence folks and outcomes.

Most of it was all in a dusty box, but now others see it and ask questions and it is an opportunity to share "why" those years meant so much to me. Again, in hindsight... it really isn't about me. It is about others. That is my truth.

3yrs forced labor to jump a shitty static line round?

Legit, do they also train the cargo they drop with rounds 😂

I have zero desire to jump that antique equipment, ram air or I ain’t jumping.
All about the benjamins, school isn’t free, and big army got tired of handing out umpteen thousand dollar “look at me” badges. Airborne is a force multiplier and not a cool guy school. The new T11 still sucks, but is light years ahead of the T10. The MC1-1 series chutes were fairly “steerable”.

Nothing beats exiting an aircraft and landing on an airfield.

Reactions: Ravenworks
All about the benjamins, school isn’t free, and big army got tired of handing out umpteen thousand dollar “look at me” badges. Airborne is a force multiplier and not a cool guy school. The new T11 still sucks, but is light years ahead of the T10. The MC1-1 series chutes were fairly “steerable”.

Nothing beats exiting an aircraft and landing on an airfield.

So why not only train the amount of people needed?

Jumping a round still would not be something I’d remotely want to do.

Also it’s a static line round, how much does it take to teach someone how to do a PLF?

If a wooden pallet can figure it out, think Todd should be able to get spooled up without too much fuss.

When you jump out of a C141 with 80lbs of shit and a T10 at night you can talk

Done plenty of night jumps, jumped all sorts of stuff, helicopters, balloons, etc. All free fall, all ram air.

Jumping with the same tech they use for the crate of MREs, meh

So why not only train the amount of people needed?

Jumping a round still would not be something I’d remotely want to do.

Also it’s a static line round, how much does it take to teach someone how to do a PLF?

If a wooden pallet can figure it out, think Todd should be able to get spooled up without too much fuss.
They did train enough people. They sent them all to jump school. That is the training, the army wanted its ROI. What it had before was a shitload of people going to school and never going on status. It was being used as a reenlistment incentive as well as other “treats” for soldiers to feel justified or special. The fine print that no SM or Commander paid attention to was that you owed time on status. Big army just looked the other way until they realized they didn’t have enough backfill when GWOT took its toll on pipe hitters.

Saw a turd wearing a Ranger tab ballcap a few years back, took about 4 seconds to sniff his ass out. Told him he could take off the cap and leave it, or I would call him out in front of what was probably close to 50 vets (some cars and coffee thing a buddy drug me to). He took it off, handed it to my buddy, and got in his car and left. Never understood claiming what you didn't earn.

They did train enough people. They sent them all to jump school. That is the training, the army wanted its ROI. What it had before was a shitload of people going to school and never going on status. It was being used as a reenlistment incentive as well as other “treats” for soldiers to feel justified or special. The fine print that no SM or Commander paid attention to was that you owed time on status. Big army just looked the other way until they realized they didn’t have enough backfill when GWOT took its toll on pipe hitters.

So spending my tax dollars for un needed training, great.

Saw a turd wearing a Ranger tab ballcap a few years back, took about 4 seconds to sniff his ass out. Told him he could take off the cap and leave it, or I would call him out in front of what was probably close to 50 vets (some cars and coffee thing a buddy drug me to). He took it off, handed it to my buddy, and got in his car and left. Never understood claiming what you didn't earn.

Slow day for you?

Why would you risk a confrontation with a nut job over a fucking hat? Legit, if you want a battle at least pick one that matters.

That’s a lot like the vibrant yutes who fight people for wearing the “wrong color”.

I have my blues, and I have all of my medals and ribbons ready to turn into a shadow box...I just never got around to doing it. Been retired for going on 4 years now. Absolutely hated what my once beloved 'Corps had turned into. Still haven't worn one single piece of "USMC" decorated clothing since my retirement (outside of a unit t-shirt that the boys gave me on my last day).

I did get a badass Beretta 92FS with my name and dates of service engraved on the barrel at my retirement ceremony. That will always be one of the coolest gifts I've ever received. Yeah, it isn't exactly an M9, but I don't care.

I do occasionally run into BS war stories from a third party way out here. I usually simply dismiss them with an "oh, wow, when did he get his Medal of Honor for doing that?" It gets the point across. Haven't seen an actual case of stolen valor out here aside from one obvious dude who was wearing a Korean War vet vest and was way too young to have participated.

So spending my tax dollars for un needed training, great.
I will agree with you there. Going to jump school just to wear a badge is a waste if tax dollars/ allocated slots and does nothing to better the force, it shouldn’t have ever happened. Go to school and perform those duties or don’t go.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Slow day for you?

Why would you risk a confrontation with a nut job over a fucking hat? Legit, if you want a battle at least pick one that matters.

That’s a lot like the vibrant yutes who fight people for wearing the “wrong color”.
Because some folks in specific communities take it very personal when people claim/project to be something they are not. If you wear it, prepare to be challenged if something doesn't seem right. I would assume the same for any special forces types or any other specialty that takes extreme effort and personal sacrifice to complete. It's one thing to support a specific group in the military but it's an entirely different issue if you are falsifying your involvement with them.

Because some folks in specific communities take it very personal when people claim/project to be something they are not. If you wear it, prepare to be challenged if something doesn't seem right. I would assume the same for any special forces types or any other specialty that takes extreme effort and personal sacrifice to complete. It's one thing to support a specific group in the military but it's an entirely different issue if you are falsifying your involvement with them.

Those folks need some mental help. Seriously, especially if they are starting confrontations over it.

I work in a job that takes more to get into, and am in one of the top 5 dangerous jobs, if someone dressed up like somewhere I used to work, I’d probably laugh as I walk by and continue with my day. Who fucking cares. Show me on the doll where his hat hurt you.

Legit it’s like when nutters collide.

What branch of the military did you serve in?

Got to where I am in the private sector on my own, and I’m proud to say it didn’t require the forced funding of taxpayers/mainstreet.

I could do better than enlisting and there hasn’t been a legitimate war in my lifetime, not one I was going to want anything to do with, I don’t care that much about helping the defense stock tickers, and if I was to fuck my code as a man and go to kill randoms for profit/“free” college, I hear the cartels pay way better.

Now if we find our balls as a nation and decide to put china back in its box, I’ll be the first fucker to sign up.