• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Allegheny Sniper Challenge

Woodlanddude

Professional Hillbilly
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2007
Beckley, WV
Fellow shooters,
I am happy to announce once again on this venue the return of the Allegheny Sniper Challenge Spring matches for 2010 in scenic Seneca Rocks, WV. There will be 2 match weekends this spring. An Alumni match will be held on the weekend of May the 1st and 2nd. Due to the success of last year's weekend and the backlist of shooters who didn't get in the match, there will again be a new shooters weekend on May the 8th and 9th. A new shooter's trainup is being planned for that Friday on the 7th again. We are working on the return of some of those who helped us cadre last years trainup again, but I will have to confirm the trainers as we get commitments for that day. Last year we were graced by the presence of Vern from CVT, Sean Little of Vapor Trail Tactical, and Jered Joplin of American Precision Arms among others. A match Tee shirt and Dinner - once again Brocks famous Beef Tenderloin, baked potato,etc. (If you call it brisket you get hot dogs.... his words not mine) are included in the fee.

.30 Caliber Magnums are Max allowed!!!!

Alumni May 1,2

New shooters May 8,9

New sh. trainup May 7 ******Additional fee for this day to be determined by training cadre***** Will post ASAP

Fees: $175

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Shooters will be required to attend a safety meeting the previous night near the match location!!!!</span></span>

I am looking forward to some great events and hopefully a little better weather for the alumni than we had on the mountain at last years alumni shoot
whistle.gif

NOTE: I have Franks go ahead to post this. Please refrain from poking old sleeping dogs in this thread. It can only get one bit anyway.

Please send an e-mail to:

ascmatch at yahoo.com

with your registration requests. We can only handle so many shooters in one match, so not all who register will get to shoot, so register sooner than later!

Good luck and safe shooting!

Re: Allegheny Sniper Challenge

E-mail sent for Alumni match.

Thanks again

Rich

Email sent

Do you think the new shooter event will be too mcuh for a good shooter but no experience in this style match. I want to start somewhere.

ASC is about unknown distance shots on steel, with no laser rangefinders, so you should have some practice at using a reticle to range targets.

Some of the shots are at significant distances and angles, so you should know how to compute the elevation data for angled shots.

Basically, measure the angle, then multiply the dope for the actual range to the target by the cosine of the angle.

But the staff and other shooters will be helpful, and you've got to start somewhere. It might as well be at a beautiful venue like this.

I just picked up a new 1911 for that steel on the hill. I'm sure it with shoot better than that 2" 38 sp. See you in May.

As a reminder Impact Data Books offers a great data collection page that is designed to allow you the shooter to accurately record your shooting data while shooting at ASC. This page will allow you record all environmental data, log your shots and even keep score all on one page. This page is flexible and will even allow you to draw in any new targets or shots you may encounter while shooting this match.

These pages are available in 80 weight and RNR paper they come in 10 page sets that are printed on both sides. You will need at least 3 sets to collect a entire match and that will leave you a few left over.

http://www.impactdatabooks.com/ASC_Match_p/sss-asc.htm

SSS-ASC-2.jpg

Tom.

count me in for the alumni match. email sent. thanks Ray Dawson

LOL, Jon, if it does get that bad up there again the first day you get to be the first guy up narrowback that morning for jinxing it
shocked.gif
. On the other side of things there are probably a few of those who were new shooters from last year that are due a surprise their first return trip.
grin.gif
. I do hope the weather smiles on us after that mountaintop hurricane that first day!! I think Jon wants me to make a point here though: <span style="font-weight: bold">BE PREPARED FOR BAD WEATHER. WE PLAN ON STAYING TO SHOOT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE NO MATTER WHAT RAIN OR SNOW FALLS UNLESS THE CONDITIONS BECOME DANGEROUS</span>. I did say snow, and it is a remote possibility, though unlikely at that time of year. Watch the weather and be prepared with full Gore Tex (or better) raingear and definitely have enough clothes to keep you warm while stationary for a full day on the hill for whatever hits. We get near 4000'ASL on the mountain and the wind can howl. The RSO's including myself live here in state and will be staying there for whatever (as safety allows) as we come prepared. For new shooters, you will be packing your gear and doing some moderate walking up to a couple hundred yards in the mountains. One day of the shoot you will be walking downhill and one day you will walk uphill on a moderate incline on a dirt road up to a couple hundred yards at a time. Good waterproof boots are a necessity!! Plan to carry your gear (Eberlestock packs or assault style packs and a slung rifle are popular options) Shots are off the ground, so if it is wet you may want a shooting mat or tarp as well. When I say we pray for good weather I mean it, and it has been good most shoots, but be prepared physically and with your gear. ***One last note: You are expected to arrive with a fully operational and zeroed rifle. Your score will suffer and you may be asked to not shoot at some targets depending on what we are seeing(or not) if your gun is azzed up out of the hole.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Shooters will be required to attend a safety meeting the previous night near the match location!!!!</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think the new shooter event will be too mcuh for a good shooter but no experience in this style match. I want to start somewhere. </div></div>

You have taken the first step.
11 more to go.

Kinda sounds like ya missed 10.
Nothing is normal.

WV shoot looks cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Email sent on the new shooter match. </div></div>

Let's do this Jeff!!!

I forgot to put in my email that I was new shooter... Hopefully the "who the fuck is this guy" will fill in that blank...
grin.gif

Can't make the Alumni weekend, so I get to pick on the new shooters
smile.gif
My dad and I will see you there.

Hey Lester!!! grab Clark and Sang and come pick on the newbies with me
laugh.gif

Can't wait...

JB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb1000br</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't make the Alumni weekend, so I get to pick on the new shooters
smile.gif
My dad and I will see you there.

Hey Lester!!! grab Clark and Sang and come pick on the newbies with me
laugh.gif

Can't wait...

JB </div></div>

I would love to come just to see your Pretty Face....But that weekend the Daughter has a Big softball Commitment that Dad wants to make.

ToddConley - Capability to listen to the Range officers and to be able to mil a target to get your range, and having accurate condition corrected dope for your rifle and knowing how to do it are all part of the equation. You will not do well without these things. You should be able to group your shots decently at 100yards or you have fundemental problems you need to work on that get amplified at longer ranges. If you can mil a target, follow instruction, make the hike, take the weather, and run your gun you will have fun. If you can do this, but need a few tweeks, the new shooter trainup would be a great idea. It can put everything together to where you START using the skills together. That allows it to be fun. Just like golf its not the 15 double bogeys you remember in a day its that hole in one(one loud first round hit PING at a grand or so) that hooks you and keeps you grinning after the day is over.

Hasgun - Dude, its early, As much fun as it is its also a lot of work, so we'll go through a brief period of gladness one match is over before Rod and John get to thinking about putting on another one again!!! Especially with two in a row
crazy.gif
!!

JRose No problem, I'll check on it tomorrow for you to be sure Rod lines your app up with the right slot though
wink.gif

? We have many targets in the 600-1000 yd range and usually a couple that have gone out to 1150 or so. There is more space to set steel, but experience shows few hit at a grand or further even on nice days.

? Someone will be doing breakfast and need cofee
confused.gif
?

Is there a way to go as a spectator for this event? I don't have a capable rifle finished yet. I only live 2 hrs away and would love to see how these shoots work first hand and maybe get some ideas for the direction of my gear and my upcoming training. I've never seen anything like this except for on the net and think it looks like an event I would like to try some day.

Is there a shooters list for people that made the list?

Rich

Gents:

As of this morning, I spoke with Rod, and am happy to say that ALL shooters who have emailed for the <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NEW SHOOTERS</span></span> weekend only, <span style="font-weight: bold">as of this morning</span> are presently in.

Corey,
Probably not as we have so many people to keep track of. This has been only done with a few folks, for what I know, who have really ended up being additional staff. There are several videos from last fall posted around the net if you search for them. As you can imagine, the liability of having someone unfamiliar with the match around is huge. Pm me if you can't find them.

Good luck Steve, haven't seen you for a while. Still shooting the AR?

Rich, Not yet. Rod will publish the list soon after we fill up.

I'd like to shoot the "new shooter" match since I'm probably not going to be shooting the spring Reade match. I just gotta check my calendar at work. I'll send an e-mail.

I would like to shoot this also. I sent an email a few days ago and have not recieved a response as to where to send the MO or who to make it out to.

+1, i know you said all new shooters who sent email were in, but is there a response being sent to them to verify?

e-mail sent for the first week. Hope I have better luck getting in this year.

Guys,
Many have called/pm'ed me asking about not getting e-mails back from Rod. You WILL see a return e-mail. Keep an eye out here.

I'm in - new shooter match. I look forward to meeting you guys and learning a few things.
smile.gif