• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alliant Powder AR-Comp Powder???

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I am looking for a little info on Alliant Powder AR-Comp Powder. What results are you getting out of using this powder?

Thnaks

Re: Alliant Powder AR-Comp Powder???

Just got some last week and have loaded some rounds but the weather is keeping from going to the range. I'm anxious to see how this stuff performs.

would this powder be useable in a Creedmoor? Ive never seen any info on it at all.

It is supposed to be a reformulated Reloder-15 and just a tad faster. Here's a link.

I don't have any specific loads to share and didn't see any for the 6.5 Creedmoor on Alliant's site. It was about 230 fps slower than the best powder on Hodgdon's site (Superformance) in .243 Win with 80 grain bullets.

AR-Comp shows to be about 60 fps slower than Hodgdon's best (fastest velocity) CFE223 in .308 Win with 155 grain bullets. The pressure seems higher for CFE223 than other powders, so they may be pushing it.

Reloder 15 is faster than H4350 (which seems to be very popular with the 6.5 Creedmoor), Superformance, and probably CFE223 (I believe it to be similar to BLC(2)).

I may have been FOS in my last post. Here's another SnipersHide thread in .308 Win with some real data against Varget and it did very well. It showed even more temperature stable and nearly equal velocity capability (60 fps less)at max. charge.

It's actually more like H4895 than Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 244</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is supposed to be a reformulated Reloder-15 and just a tad faster. Here's a link.

I don't have any specific loads to share and didn't see any for the 6.5 Creedmoor on Alliant's site. It was about 230 fps slower than the best powder on Hodgdon's site (Superformance) in .243 Win with 80 grain bullets.

AR-Comp shows to be about 60 fps slower than Hodgdon's best (fastest velocity) CFE223 in .308 Win with 155 grain bullets. The pressure seems higher for CFE223 than other powders, so they may be pushing it.

Since Reloder 15 is faster than H4350 (which seems to be very popular with the 6.5 Creedmoor), Superformance, and probably CFE223 (I believe it to be similar to BLC(2)), <span style="color: #FF0000">I'd say it would be a good, but maybe not the best, performer with lighter bullets and losing ground with increased bullet weights. </span></div></div>

Pretty sure Alliant makes the claim for the exact opposite; that it works better with heavier 223 and 308 bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 244</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is supposed to be a reformulated Reloder-15 and just a tad faster. Here's a link.

Since Reloder 15 is faster than H4350 (which seems to be very popular with the 6.5 Creedmoor), Superformance, and probably CFE223 (I believe it to be similar to BLC(2)), <span style="color: #FF0000">I'd say it would be a good, but maybe not the best, performer with lighter bullets and losing ground with increased bullet weights. </span></div></div>

Pretty sure Alliant makes the claim for the exact opposite; that it works better with heavier 223 and 308 bullets. </div></div>

I was referring to its use in 6.5 Creedmoor in the post above that one by Finnewerk757 when I made that comment. I was feebly (and likely erroneously) trying to predict its usefulness.

My next post points out my probable error; FOS = Full Of Sh@t. I guess I could delete or edit it.