• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alliant Reloder TS15.5

goober23

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2017
So a few months back I requested a catalog from Alliant, and being the GWN, I thought it had gotten lost in the mail. Today I got home from work and found a 2021 Alliant catalog waiting for me. Looking through there, I found what appears to be a temperature stable version of Reloder 15 called Reloder TS15.5. I haven't seen anyone mention it, and I know that with everything going on it might be a while before some of us may see it on the selves, but I am just curious if anyone has seen it in the wild or actually gotten to try some?
Alliant Reloder.jpg

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
Interesting
A temp stable R15 would certainly be welcome.
Alliant has be doing good things with powder lately.
R16 and R26 are awesome.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Did it mention a TS version of RL22? My 6.5 Swede wants to know..

As far as availability, my LGS normally has a few hundred pounds of powder on the shelves at any given time. Not a single pound of powder to be had currently so I suspect it will be a while until most of us even see it, let alone get to try it.

Did it mention a TS version of RL22? My 6.5 Swede wants to know..

As far as availability, my LGS normally has a few hundred pounds of powder on the shelves at any given time. Not a single pound of powder to be had currently so I suspect it will be a while until most of us even see it, let alone get to try it.
It looks like your 6.5 Swede will have to wait for them to come out with it, no mention of it. The TS15.5 looks to be the only new powder for this year. Only other changes I can tell are a tweaked pistol powder, and now putting TS on the labels of the temp stable reloder powders.

Been waiting about 15 years now!

My 35 Whelen loves R15. When it's below 45 degrees. Warms up and groups grow. Not a big issue for it's purpose. But drives me nuts. My last jug is about gone. Have a Varget load worked up in its place.

While I’ve not seen big temp issues with Reloader 15, I would welcome TS 15.5.

I use 42-45 grain of Reloder 16 in my various 6.5 Cm loads (120-140 ELDs)
I use 130+ grains of Reloder 16 in my .45 cal Smokeless muzzle loaders....335 grain bullet
Seems pretty temp stable to me in those 2 different applications, from -30F to 100F

I'm going to start using it in my 300 WSM soon

I just thought it would be universally stable...

Last edited:
My question to opeagle was intended to reveal his particular application where RE15 is stable. They do exist... like IMR4064 with 175gr bullets in the 308.

Wonder if there is a Bofors to Alliant chart like there is for ADI/Hodgdon

So I found an article over on accurate shooter from the start of the month, and Alliant is supposed to be putting this powder into distribution in April of this year... So hopefully soon? Initial review on the powder seems good. The author was able to get an extra ~100fps with same charge of TS15.5 as they got with Varget in 6 dasher and 308.

You never mentioned he was French!

So I found an article over on accurate shooter from the start of the month, and Alliant is supposed to be putting this powder into distribution in April of this year... So hopefully soon? Initial review on the powder seems good. The author was able to get an extra ~100fps with same charge of TS15.5 as they got with Varget in 6 dasher and 308.

Yep this article:

Looks pretty impressive, and one thing to note is that it's not a temp stable RL15, they state that the burn rate lies between RL15 and RL16. According to Hodgdon's burn rate chart below, that should put this powder in a similar range as 2000-MR, CFE/LVR and Big Game, a pretty useful range with few temp stable offerings.

I'm curious about the density, other powders made with the same technology like RL16 and RL23 are fairly bulky. I'd love a fairly dense, stable powder in this in this range that might work for the ARC, heavy bullet .223 and maybe even the Grendel. Hopefully once this powder and the rumored Varget speed StaBall come out, the drought will be ending and we'll actually be able to buy some.

Attachments

• burn-rate-color (3).pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: Eric_F
I can't wait to try this powder. It appears that this new powder will land on the burn rate chart where IMR4007SSC used to reside. Since Hodgdon won't or can't replace 4007SSC with a temp stable powder I will eagerly spend my cash on this new Alliant Powder to try in my 220 Swift, 243 Win and 308 Win.

Hello. I fully tested this powder and review coming up in a little while. Basically, I dont like it for 223, as even 23.0 grains using 77 grain bullets is pretty compressed. I tried it in 90 grain weight brass with massive capacity, all the way up to 101 grain Starline 223 brass with small capacity. With so much compression on the loads, if you dont have a chamber die, and are using conventional press, I can tell you right now, you will dent up the ogives like crazy using this powder. On my press with PSI guage for bullet seating pressure, even 23.0 grains far, far exceeded the max of my guage which is 100 PSI. The loads that I did over 24 grains using 77 grain bullets were so far off the scale, that the bullets "came back up" after seating, even with .002 neck tension.

Hello. I fully tested this powder and review coming up in a little while. Basically, I dont like it for 223, as even 23.0 grains using 77 grain bullets is pretty compressed. I tried it in 90 grain weight brass with massive capacity, all the way up to 101 grain Starline 223 brass with small capacity. With so much compression on the loads, if you dont have a chamber die, and are using conventional press, I can tell you right now, you will dent up the ogives like crazy using this powder. On my press with PSI guage for bullet seating pressure, even 23.0 grains far, far exceeded the max of my guage which is 100 PSI. The loads that I did over 24 grains using 77 grain bullets were so far off the scale, that the bullets "came back up" after seating, even with .002 neck tension.

RL15.5 is slower than standard RL15 and RL15 is fully compressed before reaching max pressure. I don't know that "fully testing" is required to know that 15.5 in 223 Remington is probably not going to result in the same performance as RL15 or Varget.

Started a test in my 220 Swift with 50 grain SBK and it looks very promising. Shot 4 different work up loads and all were under .590" at 100 yards. I can't share chrono data, as my Labradar does not like anything over 3900 fps, so it's back to the range with the trusty ole Oehler 35P. Will post more data when I get out to the range again.

The issue is not that 15.5 is slower than RL15. The issue is that is WAY more bulky. If you look at RL15, it is relatively similar in bulkyness to AR Comp. RL15.5 looks just like RL16, and is SUPER bulky. For example, in Starline cases, all the way to the top of the case is 25.1. Thats ultra bulky. So for example, if you load 24 grains of RL15, that is going to be similar compression on the same bullet, as perhaps, just guessing..around 22.8-23 grains. Thats the issue. You can get OK velocity from RL 15.5 however. 23 grains with many case types results in around 2550-2600 FPS out of a 20" barrel. Another esxample, Berger 75 Match VLD, seating to 2.400 and 24.5 grains, yeilded 2700-2750 FPS depending on brass used. But even that huge seating length, that was mega compressed.

I just want to see 17 stable or not in any store in stock so I could have a chance to buy it up .

RL16 works well in Valk. So I bet 15.5 is better for Valk. I test that next. I dont think 15.5 is good for 223 at all. So many better options. As the other guy said,about Varget, or SW PR, its hard to do better, and this is nowhere near them.

The issue is not that 15.5 is slower than RL15. The issue is that is WAY more bulky. If you look at RL15, it is relatively similar in bulkyness to AR Comp. RL15.5 looks just like RL16, and is SUPER bulky. For example, in Starline cases, all the way to the top of the case is 25.1. Thats ultra bulky. So for example, if you load 24 grains of RL15, that is going to be similar compression on the same bullet, as perhaps, just guessing..around 22.8-23 grains. Thats the issue. You can get OK velocity from RL 15.5 however. 23 grains with many case types results in around 2550-2600 FPS out of a 20" barrel. Another esxample, Berger 75 Match VLD, seating to 2.400 and 24.5 grains, yeilded 2700-2750 FPS depending on brass used. But even that huge seating length, that was mega compressed.

Alliant should have used a different naming convention like they did with AR-Comp, which is another RL15 derivative. To your point though, even if RL15.5 had the same bulk density as RL15 it wouldn't have worked in 223 Remington.

Reactions: semperfireloading
in my write up on it, I am going to point out the Alliant marketing which is like "ideal for 223". Thats like saying N540 is ideal for 223 rem Hard to market a powder from Alliant "ideal for 223" when they already got a powder called "AR COMP". I honestly think this powder is for 6.5 Creedmoor and other larger catridges, not 223 rem. To cascade's point, we already knew this, because slower than RL15 is not going to be great at all. What for?

Last edited:
Reactions: briang7511
in my write up on it, I am going to point out the Alliant marketing which is like "ideal for 223". Thats like saying N540 is ideal for 223 rem Hard to market a powder from Alliant "ideal for 223" when they already got a powder called "AR COMP". I honestly think this powder is for 6.5 Creedmoor and other larger catridges, not 223 rem. To cascade's point, we already knew this, because slower than RL15 is not going to be great at all. What for?

Looking forward to your write up. intending to try this in 224V, 6gt and maybe 6.5x47, 6.5cm. it does say enhanced velocity in 6mm wildcats. if it can perform in the 6 gt im good with that since varget is not easy to get.

if someone has a starting point in the 6gt? was going to start at 32.0 gr

well...its December of 21, all the above is much to do about nothing.

Powder availability remains near impossible including this new RL flavor.

Party line is powder is all being used up by big ammo companies to make ammo (their profits are huge now) but that kind of goes flat ..no one is making ammo with RL 15.5 so that kills that story line. We're pushing 2 years now with powder & primer being extinct components, and no end in sight. Outrageous and unacceptable !

Looking forward to your write up. intending to try this in 224V, 6gt and maybe 6.5x47, 6.5cm. it does say enhanced velocity in 6mm wildcats. if it can perform in the 6 gt im good with that since varget is not easy to get.

if someone has a starting point in the 6gt? was going to start at 32.0 gr
@briang7511 Did you ever get a chance to try it in 6gt? Im working some loads up today for my 6gt and RL15.5

@briang7511 Did you ever get a chance to try it in 6gt? Im working some loads up today for my 6gt and RL15.5
After you get some data, please add it to the 6GT reloading thread, 15.5 certainly looks like it would be about perfect for the GT

i want to try some in my dasher but like everone can't find it anywhere

RL16 is all I shot in my 6.5CM. Loved it, now shooting 6Dasher. Couldn't wait for 15.5 so I went the VV N140 route. Honestly, this is probably where I'll stay. Can confirm RL16 doesn't work as well in the Dasher Peterson brass. I've only seen 15.5 in the wild twice. I think at powder valley and grafs or precision reloading a couple months back, Octoberish. It'll come around eventually.

Powder availability remains near impossible including this new RL flavor.
Maybe where you live

Party line is powder is all being used up by big ammo companies to make ammo (their profits are huge now) but that kind of goes flat ..no one is making ammo with RL 15.5 so that kills that story line. We're pushing 2 years now with powder & primer being extinct components, and no end in sight. Outrageous and unacceptable
Not only do you not know the profit margins in the ammunition business, you also don't know for a fact that no factory ammo uses RL 15.5, nor do you know if the manufacturing resources needed to make RL 15.5 are being used for other powders that are in higher demand.

How come I keep finding bullets, primers, and powder? How come you can't?

So you think the situation is outrageous and unacceptable.......wtf are you going to do about it? I'll tell you what you'll do: you'll sit the hell down and wait with the rest of everyone else.

Components are certainly around and easier to find. I too went the N140 route for dasher and couldn't be happier. You have to be on top of it, but things are available and you need to purchase immediately.

wait, there’s a 6gt reloading thread? Lol
Yes, usually right near the top of the stickies in the reloading section. It's a dandy place to accumulate user load data observations for the 6GT.

I load 38.9 rl15 behind 130eldm in my 6.5 creed. Works like a champion. Fast and accurate. Shot it from 25 degrees to about 85 degrees and never seen the slightest bit of temperature issues. Off the top of my head I’d say 2,500 rounds with that load runs great!