• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alliants new Power Pro 2000mr

Re: Alliants new Power Pro 2000mr

it hit my street with 2 lbs.also 300mp and 400mr

I find this whole Powder Pro release pretty piss poor marketing on Alliant's part. They of course build it up like it's the next great thing but didn't send out any to people who would test it and get the word out. Now it's available through retail and there is no data on it?? Not even their site has much useful info. They annouced the release of this stuff over a year ago and still no data from anybody. lame.

Berger bullets always gives out bullets ahead of a new release so those select few will get the word out.

What cartridge does it work in??? Never heard of it.

I was also curious, so I spoke to Alliant about these powders. All of them are ball powders (except 4000 MR), so you can get more powder in the case than you can an extruded powder. The 2000MR powder has a similar burn rate to R-15, 3000LR close to R17 and R19, and 4000MR similar to R-22.

2000 MR, 300 MP, and 4000 MR is all that's out right now. They said they were still working on the formula for the 3000 LR.

I believe the formula is similar to 8208, but it's burn rate is slower. I think 2000 is going to work well in .223 and 6br.

I cannot remember but some how I came across a place at Alliants site to get a Reloaders guid.and the guid has the newer powders in it with loads useing the newer powders.but one thing seems to puzzel me about the newer powder you are asking about.in the new guid they show a pic list of all the powders they have and show a Power Pro 2000MR.but in the load part of the guid shows a Power Pro 2000LR.just which one is it MR or LR?or is this just a typo.

but this is something to work with.

150gn BTSP speer 51.5C
150gn Fusion 53.0C
165gn BTSP speer 50.0C
165gn TBBC speer 49.2C
165gn Fusion 51.0C
168gn HPBT 48.5C
175gn HPBT 47.7C
180gn Fusion 48.5c

now as said I hope this is the same powder as you are asking about.so use caution and make sure of my findings.this has all come from their Alliants reloading guid.just hope this helps you out.

I saw some of this at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day but I knew nothing of it so I just thought, well, here's another powder I need to research. Be interesting to see how it works out. Tag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was also curious, so I spoke to Alliant about these powders. All of them are ball powders, so you can get more powder in the case than you can an extruded powder. The 2000MR powder has a similar burn rate to R-15, 3000LR close to R17 and R19, and 4000MR similar to R-22.

2000 MR, 300 MP, and 4000 MR is all that's out right now. They said they were still working on the formula for the 3000 LR. </div></div>

Ball powders with the burn rate of H4350 and RL-22? My mind is afire with the possibilities
laugh.gif
Thanks for the info Chad!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome! There are also ball powders that burn slower than this. MagPro would be one of these. Ramshot has a lot of good ball/spherical powders. </div></div>

I wasn't aware of that... anything that burns like Retumbo? I'm currently trickling all the loads for stick powders, if I can get good ball powders to work I can probably skip a lot of that and cut down my reloading time.

I disagree with the assertion that all PowerPro powders are spherical or ball powders (yes, I know it came from Alliant). PowerPro 4000MR is an extruded powder that they then squish a bit. You can see a good photo of it here in post #4239882:
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4231908/2

There's PowerPro 4000MR, W760, and Re-17 side-by-side. The PowerPro is most obviously _not_ a ball powder. It may still meter better than a more 'conventional' stick powder, though.

OK, I'm a little disappointed, but I think I'll still try some to see how it meters. The RL series powders meter like gravel through a drinking straw...

I looked at Alliant's website and it showed something like 2920fps out of a 24" .308 with a 150gr bullet for the 2000mr as a max load...any body got some info on this stuff for the 155amax

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xcount</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find this whole Powder Pro release pretty piss poor marketing on Alliant's part. They of course build it up like it's the next great thing but didn't send out any to people who would test it and get the word out. Now it's available through retail and there is no data on it?? Not even their site has much useful info. They annouced the release of this stuff over a year ago and still no data from anybody. lame.

Berger bullets always gives out bullets ahead of a new release so those select few will get the word out. </div></div>

You are totally right. Alliant is piss poor and their website is crap.

However, if you want data, <span style="font-weight: bold">here it is</span>. You just have to do some snooping on the website. This has been this way for a long time, and they don't seem to care. I am pretty disgusted with Alliant anyway, they're pretty sloppy overall and as I said, they don't care.

Edit: Note that ALL the data in there is for 100% speer and federal bullets.

thanks for the reply. I had actually found that data before and I still thought their release 2000mr powder was poor and that their load manual was weak. I think that ATK owns Alliant and FED, not sure about Speer so that probably explains the limited data. They only want us to shoot their stuff. I know that they can't have every combo tested and posted but their load manual only has only one powder for 223Rem and 80gr bullets. They make several powders that work.

ok boyos, here it is. just got to go play with some. loved it. very fine grain ball (almost miniature pebbles) some larger some smaller, meters almost perfectly in my uniflow. i think i had to adjust 3 throws in a total of 32 loads. otherwise it threw it right on the money. I loaded several loads, with the sweet spot being 50.5grs behind a 155 scenar seated to 2.900". accuracy through my model 700 was 1.7" ctc at 400 yards. unfortunately i dont own a chronograph, but it only required 7MOA elevation to reach zero at 400. i'm guestimating that that is somewhere around 2820-2850 fps, but it is just a guess till i put a chronograph on it. i did load one set at 51grs, and that was a very slight compression, but accuracy was just pittiful with that .5grs more powder.
there were absolutely no signs of pressure what so ever shown even up to 51grs, however Alliant shows up to 53 grs behind a federal fusion 150 reaching some 3050fps. later i might get brave and try pushing higher with my 155's, but accuracy is excellent where it is. if yall are looking at trying it, i say bite the bullet, pardon the pun. I am really liking it so far.

Do you know anything about AA's new AA2200 ball powder, one of their tech guys told me it was made by St Marks also and was along the same lines as the new Powder Pro and Superformance ball powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ain't bragging, but I made the reference lot. This powder was originally designed for the 175 grain .308 load. Fill it up to 100-104% loading density, and THEORETICALLY the pressure should be right about SAAMI max.

Might want to give it a try. Shoots like a house-a-fire, no powder positioning issues, really high velocity, flash suppressed, dumped, not weighed. </div></div>

How high is high Ken, velocity wise?

This might be the ticket for the guys that want to run their Dillion and not deal with stick powder I think.

Cool stuff....

JLM,
You may be able to achieve 2700-2750 fps, out of a 24 inch tube with a 175 SMK. It'll depend on your chosen primer and case (and barrel). If you're shooting a 26 inch barrel, I would not be surprised to see ~ 2800 fps.
Of course, I must provide the additional advice: START LOW, AND WORK UP SLOW! Don't be a velocity whore at the expense of a re-arranged cranium! While this propellant will work well with the better part of a full .308 case, care must still be taken. I'm not saying there are skeletons in the closet, but any reloading effort should be carefully executed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JLM,
You may be able to achieve 2700-2750 fps, out of a 24 inch tube with a 175 SMK. It'll depend on your chosen primer and case (and barrel). If you're shooting a 26 inch barrel, I would not be surprised to see ~ 2800 fps.
Of course, I must provide the additional advice: START LOW, AND WORK UP SLOW! Don't be a velocity whore at the expense of a re-arranged cranium! While this propellant will work well with the better part of a full .308 case, care must still be taken. I'm not saying there are skeletons in the closet, but any reloading effort should be carefully executed!</div></div>

I am getting 2700 with a 180 SMK in a 24" tube with RL17. So what does this powder give me over RL17? I think I am missing the point...

Point being this powder dumps beautifully, you can run it thru a Dillon with no problem, the temperature sensitivity is very good, it's flash suppressed, and I'm betting the velocity/charge weight/pressure relationship outperforms RL-17. By the way, is there any published reload data for the 175 SMK with RL-17? Like I said, "I'm betting". However, I'd still like to see some published numbers!

I have been using it and love it. i like it much better than varget. with 155's i am seeing a genuine 3000fps with a 50.5gr charge. also i have not found that it is that temp sensitive...but that is between two range sessions...first session was at 80f and second was at 39f. neither session i saw any signs of pressure. the best part is that it meters like water

oh as for load data on the 155's none exists. I started about 12% below book minimum for the 150's and worked up from there. I found best accuracy at 50.5gr with the book max starting at 51gr behind one of speer's longer bullets.

I have standard CCI primers

Lake city standard brass

155 sierra match kings

Starting load should be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point being this powder dumps beautifully, you can run it thru a Dillon with no problem, the temperature sensitivity is very good, it's flash suppressed, and I'm betting the velocity/charge weight/pressure relationship outperforms RL-17. By the way, is there any published reload data for the 175 SMK with RL-17? Like I said, "I'm betting". However, I'd still like to see some published numbers!</div></div>

I have not seen any. i was playing around with 200 gr but I had some 180gr SMK so I just loaded some up to see what happens. I have not used it long enough to gauge the temperature sensitivity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaisersose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have standard CCI primers

Lake city standard brass

155 sierra match kings

Starting load should be? </div></div>

My start was 10% below book max. roughly 46.4grs that was for 51gr max. the book lists 3 different max charges that being the lowest, which i also believe was for the longest bullet. so start there and work up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JLM,
Of course, I must provide the additional advice: START LOW, AND WORK UP SLOW! Don't be a velocity whore at the expense of a re-arranged cranium! While this propellant will work well with the better part of a full .308 case, care must still be taken. I'm not saying there are skeletons in the closet, but any reloading effort should be carefully executed!</div></div>

I am getting 2700 with a 180 SMK in a 24" tube with RL17. So what does this powder give me over RL17? I think I am missing the point...
</div></div>

RL 17 is already a radical pwder in the 6.5/30 cal cases. So yes,..tell us,..what does this new powder line add?

Is it just easier to dispense or will we see even better efficiency?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JLM,

</div></div>

RL 17 is already a radical pwder in the 6.5/30 cal cases. So yes,..tell us,..what does this new powder line add?

Is it just easier to dispense or will we see even better efficiency? </div></div>

Wellll, temp stability is a nice thing to have no? IIRC RL17 is hella temperature sensitive.

Well, what's up with the RL 17 in a .308? I'd like to see some comparable data against the 2000MR. Might anyone have data? Has anyone shot them both over a chronograph with the same load? Has anyone brought both up to pressure, then shot them for accuracy?

Maybe I need to do this.....

Has anyone tried this powder in a 6.5x47 lapua or 243? Is it for sure more temp stable than RL 17?

It was my understanding that the coatings that make extruded powders temp stable weren't able to be applied to ball powders and that is why they are all extremely temp sensitive. Has something new been developed for this powder? I guess it will be up to someone to do a proper test like what Kombayatch did with RL15 and 17 vs Varget.

See #1397809 in the 208Amx/RL-17 thread posted on 10-22-2009.

Essentially, he tested the loads (RL-17, Varget, IMR 3031) at 3 different temperatures, and then graphed the results to see how flat the "curve" of each was of velocity increasing with temperature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, what's up with the RL 17 in a .308? I'd like to see some comparable data against the 2000MR. Might anyone have data? Has anyone shot them both over a chronograph with the same load? Has anyone brought both up to pressure, then shot them for accuracy?

Maybe I need to do this..... </div></div>

I'm not sure either Ken
grin.gif

I'll have to try some of your new powder if I can find any in my neck of the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know anything about AA's new AA2200 ball powder, one of their tech guys told me it was made by St Marks also and was along the same lines as the new Powder Pro and Superformance ball powders. </div></div>

EWP,
The AA2200 is also among our "high energy" line, as is AA2460. They're both supposed to be pretty good powder.

</div></div>

I had read on another forum, supposedly from a stockholder, that Alliant was adding additional powders of the same chemistry of Reloder-17, but of different burn rates. I asked Alliant about that rumor and asked for the release date and any load data for the Power Pro 3000 powder.

The response I got was that "NO" there are no other powders in the works along the line of Reloder-17's chemistry.

I was also informed that they had not yet finalized the formulation of Power Pro 3000 and no release date or data would be available until then.

On another note, I have a question for 1SMALLJOHNSON:

You said AA2200 and AA2460 are "high energy" powders, but do they share the flash suppressant that PP2000 has as well?

Thanks!

Dang fellas, I've been testing this stuff out extensively the last 2 months. It's amazing, I've mangaged to get my vertical dispersion down to 1" at 500 yds. Here is an old thread with all my chrono data for the Beger 185 BT LR:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2363447

I might add that since this testing, I ran a ladder test at 500 yds, the node for my barrel was right between 47.9-48.1 grns behind the Berger 185 BT LR. I did run the test all the way up to 49.1 grns which is a full 1.1 grns above the max listed load on Alliants sight for the 180 grn Fusion bullet. I was not dumping primers but was starting to see light ejector marks. The accuracy was crap anyway at that charge weight so I didn't feel the need to go any further. Just thought I'd add that for a little more info on the where this powder falls in terms of generated pressure. It's great stuff.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point being this powder dumps beautifully, you can run it thru a Dillon with no problem, the temperature sensitivity is very good, it's flash suppressed, and I'm betting the velocity/charge weight/pressure relationship outperforms RL-17. By the way, is there any published reload data for the 175 SMK with RL-17? Like I said, "I'm betting". However, I'd still like to see some published numbers! </div></div>

So Ken, do you think this would be something worth trying with the 208 A-Max, like the guys running RL17 with it? Where I live temp sensitivity is a no go. I might go from -10 to 100F.

As for 208 Amax, I don't know if, and at what charge weight it might work. I do know that this powder was designed for heavier .308 bullets, but will also work very well with the 155's. Stretching it up to 208's, who knows. Seems to me that the pressure/time curve would change to the beneficial side, and that's normally a good thing.

Conversely, I"m pretty much doubting this powder would work well for 110 grainers!

I've played around quite a bit with RL17 and 175 grain Nosler CCs. I did OCW and ladder tests, and settled on 48.8 grains for 2,640 fps out of a 20" gas gun. Quickload says that 49 grains is optimal for the rifle, and 49 is still in the middle of the node. I got no pressure signs even though QL lists it as a max load. Considering I went to almost 49 grains of RL17 under the 208 Amax, I'd say that I'm nowhere near max charge with the 175.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I shot 2000MR against some "other" powders. Shot it at various temperatures, shot it in powder positioning tests, shot it with different bullet weights.

I'm not trying to start any kind of "horse race" between powders, but I will say this much:

If you're loading .308's, from 155 grain SMK's to 175 grain SMK's, and likely many, many bullets in between (maybe even the 208's as well), I think you're going to like this powder.

There are other cartridges where this powder will work, but it would take me years to perform all the testing.

</div></div>

I haven't loaded it in any other calibers besides .308 yet, but I agree with you. It's now gonna be my go to powder for the .308 win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I shot 2000MR against some "other" powders. Shot it at various temperatures, shot it in powder positioning tests, shot it with different bullet weights.

</div></div>

What kind of temp sensitivity are you getting? I know sagebrush was getting 1 fps per degree, which is right there with Varget. Is that about what you are getting?