• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Alligator hunting

sixpack340

Thrower of angry avocados
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
york, pa
Any of you guys do alligator hunting? I'd love to go kill a monster gator to have mounted for my basement hangout room. I'm kinda leaning toward just capping one with a rifle rather than bow or whatnot. Anyone have a honey hole they hunt and wanna show an out of towner a good time?

I know everybody has seen it done on tv but it’s kind of different in real life when a 12’ gator is thrashing all against your boat and about to turn it over.

Oh my I can imagine. That's why I'm thinking I'd rather just shoot the big bitch from 50 yards away and then go get it out of the water. Im not much interested in doing it the swamp people way.

Reactions: TACC
Well I can tell you I have hunted alligator in South Carolina, Florida, and in Texas. In every one of the states you CAN NOT shot across the water. It has to be swamp people style. In Texas it is swamp people style but from the land. In Florida you can only use a bang stick no guns whatsoever. In South Carolina they had weird rules as well. So if you want to shoot one from 50 yards away stay away from those states. 131D1B5A-2ED5-4B05-A47A-20CDEDE86D5D.jpeg9AD9565E-AA6C-4CB5-8AA0-3BF2B0B2622B.jpeg4CD04F20-4397-4164-B154-D14F4A45750F.png

Well I can tell you I have hunted alligator in South Carolina, Florida, and in Texas. In every one of the states you CAN NOT shot across the water. It has to be swamp people style. In Texas it is swamp people style but from the land. In Florida you can only use a bang stick no guns whatsoever. In South Carolina they had weird rules as well. So if you want to shoot one from 50 yards away stay away from those states.

Damn. I didnt know they were like that. Florida is the one I see a lot of outfitters based out of. I just kinda figured you run what ya brung for alligator hunting. Thanks for the heads up

I’m also a taxidermist as well. I will tell you that paying for tag, guide, ext is the cheap part. You kill a monster 10’ plus and your Taxidemy bill is going to slap you in the face. Your looking at 200-250 a foot.

Yeah I figured a big one would cost a pretty penny. Gator is kind of a bucket list hunt for me that I've always wanted to do. But I dont intend on heading that far south to only kill a 6 footer.

I once saw a man died on TV, somewhere in Africa a gator took down a boot with a man in it. America wild life film maker, his body was never found. Gators aren't deers or coyotes.

In Africa, that would be a croc.

Gators only live in the south and eastern part of our great country.
South Florida has some smaller type salt water crocs also.

Reactions: TACC
Have killed a few. It's fun catching them on a rod an reel using a leg quarter like a top water lure. They will hammer it just like a bass would.

Reactions: lash
I’ve hunted gators in Florida for over 30 years it’s a great time. All we ever used was a hand held harpoon and occasionally a speargun. Only dispatched with a fix blade buck knife never a gun or bang stick. I’ve never used him as I didn’t hunt with guides but I personally know Phil Walters and he is a good guide with lots of experience may be worth you looking up. Get with a good guide and he will improve your odds for a large gator, a good time and keep you safe. It’s a great time for sure and will provide you with some great exhilarating memories and stories. I moved to the mountains a couple years ago and my gator hunting partner moved to Alabama otherwise I’d try to take you. Still have all my gear thought I would keep it for the game room, we have a 10’ mounted my wife calls her Lucille. Biggest I ever killed was an 11’8” with a bob tail so probably would have been a touch over 12 otherwise. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I’ll try to get you set up with answers and put you in touch with Phil.

They are always sleeping on a bank, probably the least sporty hunt you can do. Used to catch them by hand for shits and giggles.

lol god bless you till I see one of them per raiding down my street i have zero chances that I will ever get in the water looking to find one of them on a side not the same goes for sharks . Shark in the water I am on the boat hell with swimming with a fish that's longer than the boat is I don't kneed to know what my lunch feels like I like my arms and legs perfectly fine where they are . Shark week on tv is as close to jaws , as I ever want to be .

Reactions: gatorbait308
Spearfishing is the ultimate form of hunting. The guys that spear wild boars have my respect, but you have less chance of drowning or getting sized up by a tiger or white shark.

Catching water moccasins and alligators, freediving and shooting cobia off bullsharks, typical florida man shit we used to do when we were young and indestructible.
Just about everything that can kill you with it’s face lives In Florida

Catching water moccasins and alligators, freediving and shooting cobia off bullsharks, typical florida man shit we used to do when we were young and indestructible.
If you plan on doing that again, I'm sorry I'm busy that weekend!

• Haha
Like others have said, bucket list go harpoon/x-bow and knife. SC and GA if you don’t mind waiting a few years to draw a better zone.

SC I believe you could use a rifle on a Landowner tag but I’m not positive. I went the harpoon method and if you think you can roll up on a big one that’s been hunted it’s not as easy as it sounds. We try keeping them on shore until we can harpoon but you don’t box in an 11’ gator easily. I had one charge the Jon Boat in the dark and head butt it nearly tossing me in off the front platform. I also had one 6-8’ above the water line jump in the water and just miss the boat. He caught a harpoon in the cheek and we got him.

4 years ago I passed an 11’ boat side in the daylight and got skunked. Then forgot the draw date a few years so I’m down points. 3 is pretty much a guarantee in SC unless your in the best zone. Then it’s still close.

GA I’ve also missed a few but points carry. Unfortunately it looks like it’s 8 points roughly to draw the zones I want.

Good luck and think of it as an experience not necessarily a hunt. My second time we hunted them more but mostly because the guide didn’t feel safe in an unknown lake with cypress stumps everywhere in the dark. The first hunt was over in a very eventful night. It’s sort of like fishing and hunting mixed.

I’d also ignore sizes on shows. Seeing an 11’+ in person the ones I saw on shows after didn’t appear close to the same size. There’s also a difference in a 5-700 lbs 12’ gator and a 3-400 lbs 12’ gator. Like deer or people they are pretty different.

The taxidermist cost is definitely a consideration. I have an 11’ Head with neck done by a very well know Taxi who happens to be in gator country so has had plenty of experience. It was $1500 ish IIRC. Hides of wild gators aren’t valuable but at that time they cost $2k ish for clothing tan. Taxi tan was $5-600ish. Now I’ve found Clothing tan is about what taxi tan cost me.

While it was a bucket list for me I’ve gotten bit a little and a few years ago before my schedule blew up I was talking to PH’s in SA about harpooning and knifing a Croc. That’s my new bucket list for reptiles.

Like others have said, bucket list go harpoon/x-bow and knife. SC and GA if you don’t mind waiting a few years to draw a better zone.

SC I believe you could use a rifle on a Landowner tag but I’m not positive. I went the harpoon method and if you think you can roll up on a big one that’s been hunted it’s not as easy as it sounds. We try keeping them on shore until we can harpoon but you don’t box in an 11’ gator easily. I had one charge the Jon Boat in the dark and head butt it nearly tossing me in off the front platform. I also had one 6-8’ above the water line jump in the water and just miss the boat. He caught a harpoon in the cheek and we got him.

4 years ago I passed an 11’ boat side in the daylight and got skunked. Then forgot the draw date a few years so I’m down points. 3 is pretty much a guarantee in SC unless your in the best zone. Then it’s still close.

GA I’ve also missed a few but points carry. Unfortunately it looks like it’s 8 points roughly to draw the zones I want.

Good luck and think of it as an experience not necessarily a hunt. My second time we hunted them more but mostly because the guide didn’t feel safe in an unknown lake with cypress stumps everywhere in the dark. The first hunt was over in a very eventful night. It’s sort of like fishing and hunting mixed.

I’d also ignore sizes on shows. Seeing an 11’+ in person the ones I saw on shows after didn’t appear close to the same size. There’s also a difference in a 5-700 lbs 12’ gator and a 3-400 lbs 12’ gator. Like deer or people they are pretty different.

The taxidermist cost is definitely a consideration. I have an 11’ Head with neck done by a very well know Taxi who happens to be in gator country so has had plenty of experience. It was $1500 ish IIRC. Hides of wild gators aren’t valuable but at that time they cost $2k ish for clothing tan. Taxi tan was $5-600ish. Now I’ve found Clothing tan is about what taxi tan cost me.

this post is worthless without pics😛

Only photos handy, you can see the knife mark just behind the head in the “sweet spot”. Grab them by the jaws, pull them with all your worth INTO the boat, push down hard on jaws basically bending their head down and body up on the side of boat, then quickly drive knife between neck vertebrae using all the force you can. The feeling of hot breath from a dinosaur on your hands is a feeling I’ll never forget or be capable of describing. Knife and harpoon all the way.

Needs a spot still and a dusting. One cheek started collapsing before we moved and I wasn’t sure if my kids knocked it over as we packed or if the foam collapsed from tightening skin but it was 3 years or more after it was finished so I suspect my kids and it had been sitting like this on a Finished concrete Floor. The Taxi had it shipped to them, fixed it, and returned it no charge.
441C1CD1-7312-4708-8222-9C47F79D3E02.jpeg
85BF451B-94B1-4DE2-868D-FFE2A9D31E0D.jpeg

Im scared of sharks and gators. And bears. But an Australian saltwater crocodile... I went on the "Spectacular Jumping Crocodiles" tourboat on the Adelaide River in NT Oz... 24' monsters with a head one meter long! Had no feet. The tour guide said, "'e's 'armless! The BIG ones bit 'is feet off!"

I've got some in the pond behind the house as we speak! come shoot'em all! we're fry the tail and never talk about it again lol

Reactions: sixpack340
Lol, a few of the Techs at a Site I built in SC laughed about me wasting money on a lottery and hunt when we could go clubs few eaten sized ones that very night. Same Techs Son called in late because he picked off a doe on his commute in and had to run home to clean it before it got hot.

• Haha
Reactions: BCX
Shooter65, nice pumpkin heads. Makes me regret missing applying two seasons. I’d be heading south in Sept if I hadn’t missed preference points.

Reactions: shooter65
Im scared of sharks and gators. And bears. But an Australian saltwater crocodile... I went on the "Spectacular Jumping Crocodiles" tourboat on the Adelaide River in NT Oz... 24' monsters with a head one meter long! Had no feet. The tour guide said, "'e's 'armless! The BIG ones bit 'is feet off!"

Brutus perhaps? I think he’s one armed. I’ve it in my head to harpoon and knife every Leviathan I can and if OZ ever gets to opening a limited set of tags I told my wife I’d go as far as mortgaging the house to buy one. Imagine a 20’ saltie on a harpoon “dart” and float?!? Who’d want to be the first to reach in and grab a float resting on the water....

I recall the emotions after mine tried hopping in the Jon boat from overhead on a bank. I had no idea what we had but pulling up that float real slow and looking “deep” with neck hair tingling only to see a full length Gator rising at inches below the surface was a bit like watching a horror movie. I’ve always had a weird phobia of murky water and oceans. Heart racing isn’t close to a strong enough word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonsza1