• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Almost Feels Like Cheating

CharlieNC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Yesterday I was finally able to stretch the 6.5 X 47 out to longer range with Dan Newberry at Bangsteel.com. I have only shot 1000 yards a couple of times before with the 308, and the new rifle shocked me. Conditions were ideal with no mirage and fairly consistent light wind, and I was able to get a 3" group at 1000 yards and 2" at 1100 yards (3-shot groups). Kicked the steel 5 out of 5 shots at 1200 yards on 18" plate. To say I was thrilled was an understatement; compared to the old 308 it almost felt like cheating, but I need all the help I can get. Thanks to Tooter at Meredith Customs for a sweet rifle; while I like my Savages I must say the custom is more consistent and fits like a dream.

You are right Stang; much more addictive when it goes well vs frustration of fighting problems. DT I shoot 123 Scenar and 41.5 PowerPro2000MR for 3050fps out of 26" barrel.

LV I got turned onto 2000MR based on reports for the 308. OCW / ladder results with it showed the vertical POI shift was much less sensitive than other powders plus the velocity improvement. Since the intent of the 6.5x47 was for long range shooting and hunting, it was a natural to try. Same results. Well now I have 1300 Scenars and need to pick up a little more 2000MR and I will be set for a while. That is except to work up a load for the Berger 140 Hunting VLD for Craig, Co hunt this Fall!

Great shooting!

Yup, anything built off of x47 just flat out shoots! Well, provided the rifle was built right.

I hadn't shot my 6x47L in 2 months but when I did last week I didn't miss a steel. Feels like cheating to shoot the darn thing!

Last edited:
LV I got turned onto 2000MR based on reports for the 308. OCW / ladder results with it showed the vertical POI shift was much less sensitive than other powders plus the velocity improvement. Since the intent of the 6.5x47 was for long range shooting and hunting, it was a natural to try. Same results. Well now I have 1300 Scenars and need to pick up a little more 2000MR and I will be set for a while. That is except to work up a load for the Berger 140 Hunting VLD for Craig, Co hunt this Fall!
Works for me with 142 smk in 6.5 creedmoor....2900 something m.v....have to look at my data.

Works for me with 142 smk in 6.5 creedmoor....2900 something m.v....have to look at my data.
You're meaning PP-2000 MR with a ~ 140gr bullet in 6.5CM, correct? Interested in your load and data if you've good accuracy along with your stated speed.

Yesterday I was finally able to stretch the 6.5 X 47 out to longer range with Dan Newberry at Bangsteel.com. I have only shot 1000 yards a couple of times before with the 308, and the new rifle shocked me. Conditions were ideal with no mirage and fairly consistent light wind, and I was able to get a 3" group at 1000 yards and 2" at 1100 yards (3-shot groups). Kicked the steel 5 out of 5 shots at 1200 yards on 18" plate. To say I was thrilled was an understatement; compared to the old 308 it almost felt like cheating, but I need all the help I can get. Thanks to Tooter at Meredith Customs for a sweet rifle; while I like my Savages I must say the custom is more consistent and fits like a dream.
I hope you took a picture, as this is not normal and you may spend the rest of your shooting career trying to do it again.
The shooting gods have you addicted.
Scott

You are right Scott, and happily I got the pics too. Conditions were perfect; T4A stock fits like a glove; good loads. Dan's son was spotting for me and I let him shoot it as final at 1200, and of course a hit. Tooter builds a great rifle too!

nice shooting. i just got a lefty meredith rifle in 6.5 x 47 L built on a big horn action and mcree stock. the thing is a laser. 26 inch barrel with brake.

for those doubting Meredith rifles , you try him . very nice rifles and super nice guy to deal with.

I've got a 30" .308 Meredith in the works as we speak, just trying to get some others imput on their experiences / results

nice shooting indeed but no realy big surprise for me, never heard of a 6.5 that didnt shoot great.