• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Almost perfect bipod?

gugubica

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2005
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
So, what do you do with a $300 bipod that is almost perfect? Try to distroy it by drilling holes and cutting it!

I love the Atlas, it is leaps and bounds better than anything else out there. But...

I have a problem with unlocking the legs to adjust the height every now and then. When I was at Mammoth, I lost quite a bit of time messing with the bipod. It was hard to get a good grip on the locking collar with gloves on (or with numb fingers).

So, when I got home, I went to work. I pulled it apart and figured out a plan. This is what I came up with.

2011-01-13_11-55-23_155.jpg

2011-01-13_11-55-30_295.jpg

I liked it...a lot. But, it kind of bugged me that the legs would spin and I would have to turn the leg to get to the lever, not a big deal, but it bugged me. So, I went further.

I took the legs apart and cut a trough into the inner leg. Then tapped a worm screw into the outer leg...now the legs dont spin.

2011-02-15_18-55-37_892.jpg

I am to the point that there is nothing I dont like about the Atlas now.
grin.gif

Re: Almost perfect bipod?

Thats pretty cool- take what you don't like and make it better. Good work, sir.

Hey guys, I got banned for advertising on Sniper's Hide without being a sponsor or a member past 2 posts, so now i get a time out as a warning to others, don't do what I did, because it is wrong not to mention against the rules I agreed to when I signed on.

Bye bye bouncer...

My sixth sense says the ban hammer is approaching at a high rate of giddyup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bouncer56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I got banned for advertising on Sniper's Hide without being a sponsor or a member past 2 posts, so now i get a time out as a warning to others, don't do what I did, because it is wrong not to mention against the rules I agreed to when I signed on. </div></div>

That thing is wouldn't find a home on any of my sticks. BTW, you need the ban hammer.

Necessity, the mother of all invention.

What exactly are you using for the thumb? Just a screw with a nut to lock it down to the collar?

I had the same problem using my friends Atlas, great idea(s)! Find a way to matte the trough and the lever then it will be perfect.

Cool mod. I love it when someone is willing to tailor something to suit their needs.

Good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I took the legs apart and cut a trough into the inner leg. Then tapped a worm screw into the outer leg...now the legs dont spin.

2011-02-15_18-55-37_892.jpg
</div></div>

Great! I love it!
I'll put this is on top of the wish list for the upcoming versions of the Atlas.

Am I missing something here? What problem could the legs possibly cause by being able to spin/rotate? It seems like you created a problem where there wasn't one before.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing something here? What problem could the legs possibly cause by being able to spin/rotate? It seems like you created a problem where there wasn't one before.
confused.gif
</div></div>

The problem is being in the prone, and going to adjust your leg height without leaving your position too much. I feel his pain.

The OP decided he needed/wanted a thumb lever to actuate the lock collar that controls leg extension/retraction, rather than the OEM collar, to reduce the time necessary to deploy and adjust the legs. To maintain the thumb levers position as constant, he made the legs anti-rotate as well.

I think it is a genius mod, thank you for sharing.

It is great ideas like this that keep the modern advancement of equipment rolling.

Did you consider getting the V8 upgrade?

About that warranty...lol!

Actually the OP and I have spoke and he showed this to me. I suspect his actions are in part based on the company he keeps! Anyhow, it made sense to have extra leverage or "bite" to help when shooting with gloves and numb hands!

So my take away was to design new leg adjustment collars that have a raised ridge at the bottom of the knurling that will "catch" the finger to assist in making adjustments. This way it will remain non-directional in its orientation.

We'll start running them in the next batch. And yes we'll do upgrades.

aggiesig, I have, it didn't.

19Scout77, that is a V8.

ALSO, I hope most shooters understand there is a bit of difference between battle field and range use and application. We designed the Atlas to meet military specifications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
19Scout77, that is a V8.
</div></div>

My keen powers of observation shining through!! I completely misunderstood the purpose of the modification.

Yup, I showed it to Kasey first. He came up with the ledge on the collars idea that I think will work out well.

Originally, I cut the trough in the leg by running it under a chop saw blade, this was functional, but ugly. I then took it to Hellbenders shop (the company I keep
laugh.gif
) and milled it.

I have heard of people saying the legs roll, and this does prevent that, but honestly, I have never had an issue with that.

Ballistic is correct on why I did this. With Kaseys idea, it is a non issue. When Kasey gets it figured out, I think it will be a very worthwhile upgrade.

It wound up being way more comfortable and faster to unlock the legs. I am happy with it.

As to the warranty...honestly, if I break an atlas, I did something stupid enpugh that I would be embarrassed to send it back to the manufacturer...not to worried about that.

Hillbilly? You gotta be South of 60 to be a hillbilly! You Northerners don't qualefy!
wink.gif

(For the record I'm from Cassville, only visiting Tulsa)