• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Almost ready to start my Stevens 200 build!

Temp9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
SLC, UT
I've been bouncing around the idea of building a bolt gun for a while now. I decided to do a 6XC build centered around a Savage/Stevens action, for the sake of saving time and money on gunsmithing work. This started out as a budget build, but after some gradual price creep ("Well ____ is only a little bit more money...."), I decided to just go with what I wanted, right off the bat. Here's what I have planned at this point:

Action:
Stevens 200, .308 Win

Barrel:
Pac-Nor Stainless Super Match
6XC
25"
1:7.5" twist
#7 contour

Stock:
McMillan A5
Integral Clamp Bar Cheekpiece
Seekins Rail
Flush cups on left buttstock, and left forend
Molded in marble (70% med tan, 15% med brown, 15% black)

Misc:
CDI Precision bottom metal
Savage "Ball" bolt handle
EGW 20MOA rail
Holland's Competition recoil lug, .250"

Wheeler barrel nut wrench
PTG headspace gauge

Scope:
Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP

I plan to pick up the Stevens 200 next week and hopefully start placing orders by next weekend. Until then, I'd appreciate any suggestions, comments, criticisms, questions, or concerns. I'm still a bit nervous to be dropping this much cash on a rifle all at once, especially since I probably won't get all the parts for another 6 months or so.

Re: Almost ready to start my Stevens 200 build!

Action wrench sure makes getting that factory barrel nut off a lot easier. And you might consider an aftermarket trigger.

I was hoping to make due with a vise and a couple blocks of wood, but an action wrench is probably the smart way to go. The Wheeler #2 Action Wrench should do the job, right?

Not sure how I forgot to list the trigger. I'm planning on a "Savage Competition Trigger" from TacticalWorks.

i bought one of those sss triggers for my stevens 200 build and do not regret it. i justified the 92 dollars as i will be selling my stock, trigger and barrel to cover most of the cost of the trigger. i spent time making sure i have the minimum amount of movement so that i can remove my bolt and still use my saftey, both cocked and uncocked. i have tested my trigger several times using a digital fishing scale at 1 pound 8 ounces(1.5lbs). there is absolutely zero creep it break crisp at the poundage i mention above. i think the more important aspect of a trigger is having zero creep. im okay with 4-5lb trigger pulls as long as there is zero creep.

i know most the other triggers can remove all the creep too so go with what you feel comfortable with. a lot of savage/stevens owners have an aftermarket trigger on their rifles test out some and make an informed decision based on your experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping to make due with a vise and a couple blocks of wood, but an action wrench is probably the smart way to go. The Wheeler #2 Action Wrench should do the job, right?

Not sure how I forgot to list the trigger. I'm planning on a "Savage Competition Trigger" from TacticalWorks. </div></div>

You can buy an action wrench if you want but I removed my factory Stevens 200 barrel with two wooden blocks and a vice. I had to take a heat gun to the barrel nut for a few minutes...after alot of cussing it will break free. I think savage has a gorilla tighten those things down!

As for triggers I just installed a Rifle Basix Sav-1 on my gun (easy to do if you're not stupid like me
wink.gif
) and I love it!

Other than that your list looks pretty good! Be sure to post pics when its all done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BenY 2013</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping to make due with a vise and a couple blocks of wood, but an action wrench is probably the smart way to go. The Wheeler #2 Action Wrench should do the job, right?

Not sure how I forgot to list the trigger. I'm planning on a "Savage Competition Trigger" from TacticalWorks. </div></div>

You can buy an action wrench if you want but I removed my factory Stevens 200 barrel with two wooden blocks and a vice. I had to take a heat gun to the barrel nut for a few minutes...after alot of cussing it will break free. I think savage has a gorilla tighten those things down!

As for triggers I just installed a Rifle Basix Sav-1 on my gun (easy to do if you're not stupid like me
wink.gif
) and I love it!

Other than that your list looks pretty good! Be sure to post pics when its all done!</div></div>

Thanks for the advice, guys. Did you use the blocks on the barrel or the action?

I'll look into that trigger. If anyone knows of a good two-stage trigger for Savage actions, let me know. I have a strong preference towards two-stage triggers, but my research hasn't turned any up for Savages.

Nice build man! im getting one in 6.5-284 in a couple of weeks! hope you like you're Stevens!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BenY 2013</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping to make due with a vise and a couple blocks of wood, but an action wrench is probably the smart way to go. The Wheeler #2 Action Wrench should do the job, right?

wink.gif
) and I love it!

Other than that your list looks pretty good! Be sure to post pics when its all done!</div></div>

Thanks for the advice, guys. Did you use the blocks on the barrel or the action?

I'll look into that trigger. If anyone knows of a good two-stage trigger for Savage actions, let me know. I have a strong preference towards two-stage triggers, but my research hasn't turned any up for Savages. </div></div>

I had the blocks clamped around the barrel. I started with just a block of wood and drilled a hole in the center them cut that in half and had my two blocks. Use good wood and drill the hole through the longest section of the block or else you'll break your blocks when tightening them down.

use a good hardwood for the blocks and clamp the barrel. i made my vise from stuff i had around.

4400593276_fb3a513773_b.jpg

I use notched hardwood barrel blocks in a bench-mounted shop vise. Tighten that thing up snug and take a 1lb hand sledge to the nut wrench - couple good whacks and even the toughest nuts break loose. Barrel may slip a little in the blocks and that's okay; if it does it too much, use some brown sugar or baseball resin between the barrel and the wood blocks.

First time I've heard of using brown sugar to increase friction. I learn something every day! Quick question, do you guys recommend using anti-seize on the barrel shank threads? Or is it not needed?

Well, I checked four local stores for Stevens 200's, and none of them had any. A handful of Savage Edge/Axis, but no Stevens. Looks like I'll be ordering online. I have to wonder whether or not Savage is going to try to phase out the Stevens line of rifles, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
i have not called savage directly to verify this but i think stevens 200's are no longer being produced; think it might be close to a year i have heard they stopped production. recall reading several places that the stevens 200 has been replaced by the axis.

allow others to confirm or deny but i have seen this posted many times and also seems to coincide with what i see in stores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: logic factory</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
i have not called savage directly to verify this but i think stevens 200's are no longer being produced; think it might be close to a year i have heard they stopped production. recall reading several places that the stevens 200 has been replaced by the axis.

allow others to confirm or deny but i have seen this posted many times and also seems to coincide with what i see in stores. </div></div>

I think the 'replaced by the Axis' story started in a gunshop somewhere and spread like wildfire on the internet...

The Stevens 200 is still listed on Savage Arms' website as a current production model, and while nobody local to me carries them and I haven't seen them on an Academy Sports rack in the last 6-12 months, they are still widely available from places like Bud's Gun Shop.

Regardless, production of the Stevens 200 must have been significantly decreased. I seem to recall seeing the 200's everywhere until the last 6 months or so.

I'll place an order for my 200 tonight, just in case.

i will call savage tomorrow and get to the bottom of this as i suspect the stevens 200's are just back stock that are being sold now. i recall seeing out of stock for several months when i was shopping for one. i checked frequently with the larger online retailers and it never became instock; to include bud's. ill make a call tomorrow and try and get an official response. ill update this thread with what i find out.

Orders have been placed for the rifle and stock. I'm committed now!

Minus the scope, how much do you have into this project??

My initial estimation was around $1700. I've since changed barrels from McGowen to Pac-Nor, and added the spacer system onto the McMillan stock. I would say I'm pretty close to $2000, now, including tools, but I haven't actually ran the numbers.

By the way, the barrel is now on order!

What bullet do you plan to shoot?
You asked for input, so here is mine.
I have two savage stevens actions that wear a variety of barrels, and my shooting buddy has one savage action that he ordered an aftermarket barrel for as well. I would look towards Northland Shooter Supply on the savage shooters fourum for barrels. He has savage drop-ins for cheaper than just about anywhere else, so unless you are married to pac-nor I would pick up a CBI (Krieger's button rifled barrels) from him for a fair bit cheaper than a Pac-nor. They don't have the 1-7.5 but do have a 1-8 twist, but an 6xc with an 8 twist should stabilize even the 115 DTAC especially at the altitude of SLC.

By the way I don't use any antisieze, but I also don't torque my barrels back on as tight as my two were from the factory, and switch them fairly often.

i just got off the phone with kathy(sp?) at savage and was informed that the website is indeed correct as boilup indicated. the stevens 200 are still being produced in 3 calibers.

DogMessiah, thanks for the input, and I'll definitely take Criterion into consideration on future builds. I plan to shoot 155gr DTAC's. From my understanding, a true 1:8" twist will stabilize 115's, but many button rifled barrels are not dead on what they say they are. Like you said, I probably would be okay since I'm at such high altitude, but I wanted to make sure I would still have a fast enough twist to shoot the 115's during winter. If Criterion had a 1:7.5", it would be an easy choice.

Thanks, Logic Factory. That's kind of what I expected. I'm still not too happy that they're so hard to find locally, but as long as the Stevens 200's are still around, this won't be my last Savage build.

I got my order in from TacticalWorks Inc. this afternoon (Saturday). I ordered it Thursday, so very impressive shipping time. This order contained my trigger, DBM, and scope base. No rifle, yet. Anyways, I had some free time, so enjoy some pictures.

Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger:

dsc6073.jpg

dsc6078.jpg

Note the four adjustment screws in the bottom picture. I've played with the sear adjustment screw, and I can't help but get excited. With the sear properly adjusted, it's very difficult to detect any movement in the trigger when it breaks. The other screws seem straight forward to adjust. One for spring weight, one for safety engagement, and the last for overtravel. Build quality seems good, although you can see where they didn't do a great job finishing the non-functional areas. No big deal, none of these areas will be visible once the trigger is installed, anyways.

CDi Precision DBM, 4.40"

dsc6086.jpg

dsc6088.jpg

Overall quality of this DBM is very, very nice. The machining is good, with virtually no machining marks remaining. The anodizing is even and smooth. The magazine release operates smoothly with a good amount of spring tension. Interestingly enough, it didn't strike me how simple this component is until I actually was holding it. It's machined out of a solid piece of aluminum, with a steel release and spring held in by a roll pin. So far, I'm pleased with this bottom metal. Hopefully it functions as nice as it looks.

EGW 20MOA "Tactical" scope mount - short action, round back

dsc6082n.jpg

dsc6083z.jpg

dsc6085b.jpg

An important thing to note here is the shape of the screw heads. The screws all incorporate a countersink, which mates with a countersink in the screw hole. This allows the scope base to self-center in both directions. According to EGW, this design negates the need for a recoil lug, as the countersinks don't allow the base to move in any direction, including parallel to the bore (ie. against the recoil forces). Therefore, recoil lugs should only be necessary on bases using flat screws.

The theory is sound, in my mind. I also haven't heard any first hand claims that their scope base moved, so I suppose this method works. The quality of the base seems good, particularly the machine work. The anodizing is even, however, not as smooth as the DBM. It has a rougher, grainy feel to it. I believe this is an attempt to make the finish as flat and non-reflective as possible, which was achieved.

Thanks for the kind words, Short-bus! I used to be a hobbyist photographer at one point. Then I realized I had to pick between shooting guns and shooting cameras, thanks to college. So here I am!

Wow, I just tried to get the barrel nut off. I used a two pieces of wood with a hole drilled between them, as well as rosin between the barrel and blocks. Cranked the sucker down in a large vise using a 4 foot cheater bar over the vise handle. I got enough friction to apply 130ft-lbs of torque on the wrench before slipping.

I beat the damn barrel nut wrench senseless with a 1lb steel framing hammer, but the nut is still jammed on there like nothing happened. Overnight soak in penetrating oil, nothing. Propane torched it, still no movement. To be fair, I may not have heated it enough, though.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy an action wrench, or just cut the barrel nut off....

On a happier note, I got my SSS trigger installed. The thing is amazing - no creep or overtravel at all. The trigger hardly moves. It's a bit lighter than I'd like (1.5lbs) so I'll probably install a heavier spring later on.

I also got an SWFA 5-20x50 instead of the Vortex. Very nice scope, if I may say so myself.

I had the same issue with the barrel nut on my Stevens. I put the propane torch to it for a good while...if I remember correctly the barrel might of had some type of loctite or something holding it tighter...I may be completely wrong on this though. Good luck with that thing it'll eventually come off!

About how long did you heat it for? I'm afraid of damaging something.

Make sure you're trying to turn the nut the proper way; you want to spin the nut "onto" the barrel...ie clockwise as you look up the action & barrel.

I mention this because I was going the wrong way the first time I did a swap...

just whack that bar instead of trying to turn it off. a good sharp impact will break it. i hit the nut wrench with a 2x4 to break mine off on the second whack

So staring from action end towards the muzzle, as if I were shooting the gun, I should be going clockwise, right? Standard right hand threads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just whack that bar instead of trying to turn it off. a good sharp impact will break it. i hit the nut wrench with a 2x4 to break mine off on the second whack</div></div>

I've been hitting it with a 1lb steel hammer. The edge of the wrench looks like hell now.

Been there done that I whacked off my first Stevens barrel but it was a pain in the ass like you are describing. That's why I got an action wrench to do my next two.

I ended up cutting the nut off. I noticed there were some tiny beads in the barrel threads. Maybe from bead blasting?

Anyways, I'm a bit worried I heated it too much when I was working it with the torch. I never heated directly on the receiver, rather I kept the flame on the barrel nut. But still, if I look, there's a tiny difference in the color of the receiver up to about an inch back from the face. I heated for maybe 60 seconds on the nut. Did I screw this one up real good, or am I being paranoid?

We had an open flame on my barrel nut for longer than 60 seconds, however I am clueless when it comes to knowing metal tempering. Maybe someone with more experience will give some advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BenY 2013</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had an open flame on my barrel nut for longer than 60 seconds, however I am clueless when it comes to knowing metal tempering. Maybe someone with more experience will give some advice.</div></div>

Thanks! What is your rifle chambered for? Also, do you notice any discoloration on your receiver at all? Mine is about half a shade lighter on the muzzle end (near the heated part). That's the part that worries me.

Anyone else?

I'd use Kroil to help with removing barrel nut first time.

you don't need heat...

you don't need a hammer...

you don't need oil even...

you NEED the right tools...

I've taken apart countless Savage actions, I've never heated one, I've never used a hammer, and I've never soaked one in oil...

I put the action in an action wrench, put the action wrench in the bench vise, put the barrel nut wrench on it, put a breaker bar on the barrel nut wrench (you should have noticed two square holes in it), then w/ very little effort on my part it comes off

Ya, an action wrench would've been smart. I used a big ass vise with wood blocks and rosin on the barrel, a 3 foot breaker bar, and a hammer on the wrench itself. Hell, the nut was still tight after I cut it. Whatever they put on the threads of mine was nasty. It came off after a very loud *pop* when I split the cut with a large screwdriver.

Next time, there's no doubt about it. I'm getting an action wrench and saving myself the headache.

But the nuts off now, so I just want to make sure the heat I applied to the nut didn't affect the receiver. Thoughts?