• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alpha 6 br brass

Cwfrank623

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Northern Idaho
Is anyone using alphas 6 br brass. I’m curious what’s the best die to run for this brass. Anyone with experience?

Just came across your post and saw nobody has responded.
I just put together a BR build a couple weeks ago and decided to pick up 100 pieces of the alpha brass ( lapua couldn’t be found ) I loaded up all 100 with 29.5 gr of varget cci 450 primers and 105 vld 25k off the lands and my first 3 5 shot groups were 1/4”-1/2”. But I was already at pressure so I stopped and pulled the rest. Just went back out today loaded 29.0 of varget no pressure and still produced groups under 1/2” and one group that measured .071”. This is my first BR build so I can’t compare the brass to lapua , but so far it looks very promising. I have not checked velocities yet still breaking in the barrel ( stutteville prefit from impact)
As for the sizing die I started with a Redding FL bushing die sized 5 cases and stopped went an ordered a SAC Modular die which is what I should have done from the beginning. The Redding die was only sizing about 70% of the neck and left some nasty looking rings around the base of the neck above the shoulder. I have 6 sac dies and that’s all I’ll use from now on.
Overall the alpha brass looks promising having said that 3 days ago I was able to pick up 300 pieces of lapua br brass and I’ll probably be shooting that, but if the alpha was all could get I would not mind using it. Hope this helps

Reactions: Cwfrank623
I have been around alpha dasher, bra amd gt brass, they're all 269od neck loaded. Most 6br chambers are specd for lapua at 272 nk chamber. This can cause early psi signs.

I won 500 rounds of Alpha Dasher on a Gunbroker auction at a price I couldn’t pass up. I found that the neck wall thickness of the Aplha brass to be thinner than Lapua and needs to be trimmed a little more often. Also my SDs were higher with Alpha.

Quick conclusion: Go with Lapua if you can find it and afford to fire-form it. If you anneal your brass, Lapua will more than pay for itself. Do it right the first time.

I have been around alpha dasher, bra amd gt brass, they're all 269od neck loaded. Most 6br chambers are specd for lapua at 272 nk chamber. This can cause early psi signs.
What? I know a lot of bench guys that allow between 2-4 thou neck clearance. Many are starting to move away from 1-1.5 thou especially in 30 br. How would 3 thou cause pressure issues? I'm genuinely curious.

What? I know a lot of bench guys that allow between 2-4 thou neck clearance. Many are starting to move away from 1-1.5 thou especially in 30 br. How would 3 thou cause pressure issues? I'm genuinely curious.
Less room for expansion creates more pressure. 0015 per side isn't a lot clearance, especially once you get into crappy weather, water and dust get into the chamber shooting in the field. A chamber with 003 total clearance will usually not allow a bullet to fit freely into a fired case neck, it'll need be pushed in. I'm not saying you cannot run tight neck clearance, but the bench game is more forgiving, they shoot in much more controlled environments VS field conditions. As brass is fired multiple times, brass from shoulder slowly flows into the neck, thickening the lower side of neck, further reducing the clearance. I personally don't run less than 004 clearance on smaller cases and 005 minimum with magnums.