• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alpha Brass Processing Questions

mbeavers1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2019
Montgomery, TX
I recently purchased 200 RSS of 6.5CM SRP 1x fired brass to neck down and use for my 6CM.

Since this is all new brass to me, I was planning the following:

1) Uniform flash holes and chamfered w 21st Century Flash hole tool.
2) Uniform/clean primer pockets w Sinclair SRP tool
3) Anneal
4) Size with FL sizing die
5) Trim to the Trim to length for 6CM and chamfer

A few things I have noticed:

1) Alpha brass has SRPs but large flash holes - 0.080" vs 0.062" like my other Lapua brass.

Is this normal?

2) VERY tight primer pockets.

I am having a hard time uniforming the pockets and some cut a long ways down. I have the Sinclair tool mounted on my Hornady Case Prep center and it rips the brass out of my hand sometimes because it gets so tight.

It also seems that the lip of the flash hole is getting thin when chamfered. I have never noticed this with my Lapua brass. I havent chamfered many yet but stopped with all pocket and flash holes.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences with Alpha brass? I was suprised because I have seen good reviews on it but these are my first pieces.

Left = uniformed pocket and chamfered
Middle = uniformed pocket and not chamfered
Right = Depth where cutter meets resistence and starts cutting.

20200322_112753.jpg20200322_112711.jpg20200322_112306.jpg

Last edited:
I bought Alpha brass for my 6XC and primer pockets are insanely tight. Could not hand prime at all, I had to prime on my Co-Ax and even that was a bit of a struggle.

I bought Alpha brass for my 6XC and primer pockets are insanely tight. Could not hand prime at all, I had to prime on my Co-Ax and even that was a bit of a struggle.

So this tells me I should fight through and uniform so I can hand prime. Otherwise I’ll fight every time it’s loaded. I’m just worried the bottom of the pocket will be to thin because of the amount it will remove on some cases.

Load it and shoot it, other than chamfering there's nothing that needs go be done to it. That's why you buy premium brand. The pockets are tight but they get better. I've loaded all mine on a 650 dillion including seating the primers.

Reactions: Tokay444
They're tight so they'll last a good long while with stout loads.

I'd just load and shoot. But if they're that tight I'd probably prime with the Dillon just for ease.

Don’t fuck with them.