• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

alpha mag problems

heitmann45

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
CA
Just got my two new alpha mags and was extremely excited until I found they did not seat in my rifle. It is a stock Remington 700 action in an AICS 2.0 action. The mags insert smoothly but don't seem to go in far enough to fully seat even with a firm smack. Any ideas?

Re: alpha mag problems

I doubt it's the magazines.

A stock 700 has a tapped and threaded boss for the OEM ADL/BDL magazine box at the aft bottom of the magazine well -- chances are that's what's binding on the top rear of the magazine preventing it from locking in the magazine well.

You don't need it if you're going to be using detachable box magazines.

About three minutes with a Dremel will fix your locking problems.

I see. Does this issue normally cause problems for AICS magazines? I've been using them with no problems for over a year. I'll look into it, thanks for the help.

Had the same issues. It was causing feeding issues. I took a little metal off of the top. No issues putting the mags in and no feeding issues. Hope this helps. Great mags. Love double stack/single feed mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heitmann45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got my two new alpha mags and was extremely excited until I found they did not seat in my rifle. It is a stock Remington 700 action in an AICS 2.0 action. The mags insert smoothly but don't seem to go in far enough to fully seat even with a firm smack. Any ideas? </div></div>

Call me up if you think it's a mag issue, I have you covered.

Thanks,

Chris

I just got two mags in and both were doing the same thing. Both would not fit in ether my gap 7wsm or both aics stocks. I had to take a hammer and pound the top front, where the metal fold around to hold the follower in. After a few hits. I was able to get both to click in now. They also changed there color to an off gray. I don't like it.

Well I had a message from chris on my phone pretty quickly after I emailed him about the issue. We've been playing phone tag ever since, but he seems to be really be working at helping me out. Other than not seating, the mags appear to be really well made. I'll keep working at it and see what happens when I get a hold of him.

Same thing with 2 mcrees, an xlr as well as a McMillan w/cdi bm. 5 minutes with a file.

I was going to post the same thing except it was with the factory AI mags that came with the AISC.
I decided to wait to check the Alpha mags that I had on order (thanks btw for calling that they were on the way).
The first Alpha mag seated perfectly so I apparently have a similar problem with the AI factory mag.
I am not worried and know this can get solved.
Those Alpha mags look great, btw.

most of my alpha mags took a little work to get them to run perfect in my badger DBM's. Most of this I attribute to the rad tac latch that I run. They wouldn't "click" into place. Most of the guys told me to grind some off the rad tac latch, but I just took a metal file to the back lip of the mag. Took a few thousands off of it and they run fine now. I had one issue with the feed lips, but they took care of that one for me.

Similar experience with the customer service too. He was a great help and walked me through what to do, and if I messed any of them up trying to fix it, he said he would send me new ones.

I ONLY run alpha mags now... they are great

I just got two Alpha Type I .308 mags in and they will not seat in my AX chassis without a very firm smack. The ramp on the magazine's catch is at too sharp an angle and I can see where the AX's mag latch is hitting it. I will try to file the mag catch down to see if that works.

Both AI AICS and Accurate Mag AICS mags work fine in my AX.

Sounds like great customer service from Alpha. Hearing this makes me comfortable ordering from them for my chassis
(when I get it). Any manufactured product can be out of spec from time to time. All manufacturers deal with this (some more than others). The difference to me is how do they make it right for the customer. Sounds like Alpha is GTG.

I ordered two Alpha mags and tried them in my McCree stocked 700. Neither feeds reliably. They were both VERY stiff getting into the magwell, and I had to really smack them to get them to seat. I just kept putting them in and taking them out, and now they go in with more effort than the AICS, but nothing terrible.

Where my real issue comes from is the round not feeding. The rounds randomly catch under the feed ramp, and are stuck until you reach up and pull the round all the way back. I don't want to go bending the feed lips unless I knew what I was doing would actually fix it (don't want to make it worse).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix, or did I waste $130? I really like the size of these mags, but if they won't feed they're useless. They are perfect for leaving in the gun for callouts, and the AICS 10-rounder is easy to get in and out of pouches. The five rounder is great for throwing in a stock pouch with barrier rounds in it. So the size is right, I just want them to work. Someone help a brother out.

Pic of the 3 next to one another.

2011-11-12214457.jpg

The rifle it's intended for:

2011-11-12214928.jpg

I've had that issue. In a McRees stock. I still have the stock. I don't have any more Alpha mags. I never tried to fix it.

I've worked on a mag to get it to run in a AI AE Mk III and will get it back to Chris hopefully next week. I don't want to get hopes up but so far it has ran 100% in my AE.

I don't know if the prototype/modded mag that I have will cure the problems encountered with the McRee stock as I don't have one to mess with but I'm hoping so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered two Alpha mags and tried them in my McCree stocked 700. Neither feeds reliably. They were both VERY stiff getting into the magwell, and I had to really smack them to get them to seat. I just kept putting them in and taking them out, and now they go in with more effort than the AICS, but nothing terrible.

Where my real issue comes from is the round not feeding. The rounds randomly catch under the feed ramp, and are stuck until you reach up and pull the round all the way back. I don't want to go bending the feed lips unless I knew what I was doing would actually fix it (don't want to make it worse).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix, or did I waste $130? I really like the size of these mags, but if they won't feed they're useless. They are perfect for leaving in the gun for callouts, and the AICS 10-rounder is easy to get in and out of pouches. The five rounder is great for throwing in a stock pouch with barrier rounds in it. So the size is right, I just want them to work. Someone help a brother out.

Pic of the 3 next to one another.

2011-11-12214457.jpg

The rifle it's intended for:

2011-11-12214928.jpg
</div></div>

I'm assuming these are the type II mags. If so there should be a piece of paper with them that explains this situation and how to fix it. Basically the bullets are sliding under the feed ramp either due to the recoil bringing them forward or when the bolt strips a fresh one it is bringing the one below it forward enough to catch the lip. Since the type II accomadates a larger length the feed ramp must be notched so the bullet will not catch. It is about a 15-30 min process with a dremel tool and a grinding stone. I am also sure any decent gunsmith could do it.

If you don't need the length the other option is to get type I mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered two Alpha mags and tried them in my McCree stocked 700. Neither feeds reliably. They were both VERY stiff getting into the magwell, and I had to really smack them to get them to seat. I just kept putting them in and taking them out, and now they go in with more effort than the AICS, but nothing terrible.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix, or did I waste $130? I really like the size of these mags, but if they won't feed they're useless. They are perfect for leaving in the gun for callouts, and the AICS 10-rounder is easy to get in and out of pouches. The five rounder is great for throwing in a stock pouch with barrier rounds in it. So the size is right, I just want them to work. Someone help a brother out. </div></div>

You have at least one, possibly two issues. If there is no notch cut in your feed ramp and these are type II mags they will hang up repeatedly. You have two choices, fully adopt the type IIs and have your feed ramp notched, or go to type I mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm assuming these are the type II mags. If so there should be a piece of paper with them that explains this situation and how to fix it. Basically the bullets are sliding under the feed ramp either due to the recoil bringing them forward or when the bolt strips a fresh one it is bringing the one below it forward enough to catch the lip. Since the type II accomadates a larger length the feed ramp must be notched so the bullet will not catch. It is about a 15-30 min process with a dremel tool and a grinding stone. I am also sure any decent gunsmith could do it.
If you don't need the length the other option is to get type I mags.
</div></div>

Even with a notch I had feeding issues. You really have to go all in on the Type II mags. You need the ramp notched, and you need to load the rounds long enough that they don't have room to slide forward in the mag because they are already at length. Even then, with a double stack mag, they may hang.

I could not get the type IIs to feed reliably and have a much bigger notch, which started as a notch and I widened to oval, than most with the same modification. I have since adopted Type Is for my primary load and they run fine. I had to tweek the lips a bit as my ramp was steeper due to the mod, but after that its been just fine. At some point I plan to load some 208s up long again to see if loading them to max length possible helps their reliability.

IMHO if you want to run type IIs reliably, you need the entire ramp shortened to match the box of the bottom metal or chassis the rifle is mounted in. The rounds still hang up under the ramp even with a notch. If you aren't loading stuff really long, I wouldn't bother.

Rich

Like the guy above me said, you gotta be willing to jump into Type IIs with both feet. They offer a substantial advantage over AI mags but the rifle and ammunition must be purpose built.

On a side note, has anyone who notched their feed ramps gone back to an AI mag? Any issues? I have a bunch laying around and wouldn't mind keeping em as backups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the guy above me said, you gotta be willing to jump into Type IIs with both feet. They offer a substantial advantage over AI mags but the rifle and ammunition must be purpose built.

On a side note, has anyone who notched their feed ramps gone back to an AI mag? Any issues? I have a bunch laying around and wouldn't mind keeping em as backups. </div></div>

I went to type Is from type IIs, because the ramp was shortened where the notch was cut, the rounds would push forward in front of the bolt and hang on the flat face of the ramp where the bit cut the notch. I used my dremel to bevel and ramp the flat of the notch so the rounds would hit and ride up. That with a little feed lip tweek got everything running ship shape again at regular mag length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the guy above me said, you gotta be willing to jump into Type IIs with both feet. They offer a substantial advantage over AI mags but the rifle and ammunition must be purpose built.

On a side note, has anyone who notched their feed ramps gone back to an AI mag? Any issues? I have a bunch laying around and wouldn't mind keeping em as backups. </div></div>

I went to type Is from type IIs, because the ramp was shortened where the notch was cut, the rounds would push forward in front of the bolt and hang on the flat face of the ramp where the bit cut the notch. I used my dremel to bevel and ramp the flat of the notch so the rounds would hit and ride up. That with a little feed lip tweek got everything running ship shape again at regular mag length. </div></div>

Excellent. I'll be sure to test run em before they go out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the guy above me said, you gotta be willing to jump into Type IIs with both feet. They offer a substantial advantage over AI mags but the rifle and ammunition must be purpose built.

On a side note, has anyone who notched their feed ramps gone back to an AI mag? Any issues? I have a bunch laying around and wouldn't mind keeping em as backups.</div></div>

I go back and forth with no problem

I've had the same issue with both of my Alpha mags not setting in my McCree I even spent a bunch of time with the dermal and they will still not seat consistently. I had a few call back and forth with there CS and was supposed to get replacements and it never happened so i just bought more 5 and 10 rounds AI mags as they fit and seat more consistent. I'm gonna try the 2 Alphas I have in a Savage Build with CDI bottom and hope they work there.