• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alpha mags in a savage action?

scatterbrains

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
I am building up a stevens action it is sitting in a XLR carbon chassis. My question is do the alpha mags fit in the savage/stevens actions w/o modifications?
Ive found conflicting information on the web. Any ideas?

Thanks

I know for a fact that the 4.41" Savage actions will work with Alpha type 1 mags, and I'd venture to guess that there'd be no problem with the type 2's because they are the same mag without the plastic spacer in the front, as far as I understand.

I ran the type 1 mags in my model 12 LRP in .260 with CDI bottom metal for a while, but recently purchased some AICS 5 and 10 round mags too. All work well, but I think the AI mags feed a bit smoother. Never had any malfunctions with the Alpha's though.

Justin

As listed above, Alpha Type 2s work great in a Savage centerfeed (or staggerfeed, for that matter) short action.

The type 2 allow a longer COAL correct? any mods needed to the feedramp?

Yes they do allow 2.95" COAL if I recall correctly (I ran 130gr Bergers in my 260 @ 2.94 and they were flawless) and no, no feedramp mods required on a Savage.