• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alpha or Lapua SRP Brass-6.5 Creedmoor

drummachinejoe

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2019
Riverside County, CA
Looking to upgrade to some new brass with my new barrel. Been shooting a Savage 24” 1:8 6.5 CM that I got started with and always just used once fired Hornady brass. I’ve had great results with this rifle especially for what I paid for it but would like to have a matching SA Origin build like my LA Origin 300 PRC in KRG Bravo chassis.

Would like to know if anyone has used SRP Lapua & Alpha brass for 147-156 gr projectiles? Findings, accuracy, different MAX loads, pressure tolerance? Pretty much decided on SRP.

Planning on shooting:
153.5 gr w/ RL26 (maybe RL23)
147 gr (maybe 144 gr) w/ RL16

Barrel:
Preferred Barrel Blanks
6.5 Creedmoor Chamber (using Alpha SAAMI Reamer 0.199 FB)
1:7 twist
27”

Been researching Lapua vs Alpha brass for at least a week now and haven’t seen any definitive claims that either is clearly superior. I do
Know Alpha SRP has standard flash hole size (0.08”) while Lapua has 0.06”. Seems like Alpha had some initial issues when it was first released and maybe up to first 1-2 yrs. Also, some people claim to not be able to get as high of velocity loads in Alpha brass as they were using in Lapua. However, others say just the opposite and no difference or same amount of reloads/firings.

Any experience/insight on deciding between the 2 would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
While Lapua is essentially the benchmark, and there shooters out there who won’t shoot a cartridge if Lapua doesn’t make brass for it, Alpha is American made and in my experience, every bit as consistent.
Don’t overlook Peterson also.

Lapua is better than Alpha or Peterson in my opinion.

I only use Alpha on niche calibers that I can’t have Lapua brass (7SAW, 6Dasher, etc)

Reactions: drummachinejoe
Lapua is better than Alpha or Peterson in my opinion.

I only use Alpha on niche calibers that I can’t have Lapua brass (7SAW, 6Dasher, etc)
Anything that you’ve noticed that makes Lapua better over the other two? More consistency or just ran into issues with Alpha brass that you wouldn’t typically have with Lapua?

I have Lapua brass for my 300 PRC and have not complaints about it. Excellent quality.

First question should be: Which one is in stock somewhere, or can actually be purchased at a reasonable price?
We can have the "this brass is better than that brass" argument til we're blue in the face, but if it's not available for purchase, it doesn't matter.

First question should be: Which one is in stock somewhere, or can actually be purchased at a reasonable price?
We can have the "this brass is better than that brass" argument til we're blue in the face, but if it's not available for purchase, it doesn't matter.
I have found both in stock multiple places. But up until recently that definitely was a concern. I also don’t have my barrel yet and am not ready to start reloading for it. But north are available currently.

Reactions: kindabitey
I just got some alpha SRP creedmoor brass. The same powder charge was the same velocity as the Lapua SRP brass

Last edited:
Would like to know if anyone has used SRP Lapua & Alpha brass for 147-156 gr projectiles.

I cant help with the 147-156 in 6.5 because I have never owned a 6.5 oddly enough. I can chime in on the brass quality though. You wont go wrong either way. They are both high quality. My personal opinion is that one is not any better than the other.

I cant help with the 147-156 in 6.5 because I have never owned a 6.5 oddly enough. I can chime in on the brass quality though. You wont go wrong either way. They are both high quality. My personal opinion is that one is not any better than the other.
Awesome. Glad to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

I was considering just getting 100 of each to try. See if one gets me to the velocity/accuracy I want with 153.5 Berger’s.
What velocity are you shooting for?

You aren't going to see drastic difference between the two. Sure brass thickness and case capacity will be very slightly different due to them being 2 different brands but they will be close enough to each other to the point that you are down to splitting hairs in my opinion. Unless there is an outrageously specific result you are hoping for across the entire board of your load development that ONLY your brass can accomplish, I would just pick one that you find a better deal on load em up. You truly will not go wrong with either choice. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Almost identical velocities between the 2?
No noticeable differences between the 2 quality/performance wise so far?
Sorry missed the key word. Yes velocities were essentially identical. Just loaded a few to test that. The alpha will probably be saved for my next barrel as I have several hundred Lapua to get through first

What velocity are you shooting for?

You aren't going to see drastic difference between the two. Sure brass thickness and case capacity will be very slightly different due to them being 2 different brands but they will be close enough to each other to the point that you are down to splitting hairs in my opinion. Unless there is an outrageously specific result you are hoping for across the entire board of your load development that ONLY your brass can accomplish, I would just pick one that you find a better deal on load em up. You truly will not go wrong with either choice. Just my 2 cents.
> 2700 fps (ideally 2775-2875 fps) with 153.5 gr Bergers and RL26, maybe RL23 if can’t secure any RL26.

I would be working up to that carefully though and stopping if any signs of pressure more than flattened primers/slight cratering/faint ejector swipe.

> 2700 fps (ideally 2775-2875 fps) with 153.5 gr Bergers and RL26, maybe RL23 if can’t secure any RL26.

I would be working up to that carefully though and stopping if any signs of pressure more than flattened primers/slight cratering/faint ejector swipe.
Again, I have no experience in loading for 6.5 CM as it was never a cartridge that I picked up. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

A quick search on Bergers website shows the 153.5gr factory ammo out of a 26" barrel moving at 2702 out of the muzzle. Berger loads their factory stuff in Lapua brass but with LRP's. Seeing as how factory ammo does not tend to run all that hot, I would assume that you would not have any issues bumping your loads to hit your stated velocity goal out of a 27" barrel before you run into any pressure issues. Work slow to make sure but that is my first thought.

Again, I have no experience in loading for 6.5 CM as it was never a cartridge that I picked up. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

A quick search on Bergers website shows the 153.5gr factory ammo out of a 26" barrel moving at 2702 out of the muzzle. Berger loads their factory stuff in Lapua brass but with LRP's. Seeing as how factory ammo does not tend to run all that hot, I would assume that you would not have any issues bumping your loads to hit your stated velocity goal out of a 27" barrel before you run into any pressure issues. Work slow to make sure but that is my first thought.
This is just what I’ve gleaned.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1451.jpeg
    IMG_1451.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1448.jpeg
    IMG_1448.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1446.jpeg
    IMG_1446.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
Reactions: TSULLI

This is what I saw from their site on factory loaded. I agree with you. Usually not super hot loads in their factory loaded ammo.

And out of a 20” barrel also.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 54
This is what I saw from their site on factory loaded. I agree with you. Usually not super hot loads in their factory loaded ammo.

And out of a 20” barrel also.
Even better. That was exactly what I was looking at but I accidently read it wrong as 26". I would say you are good to go. Grab some Lapua now that you have some data that leads you to believe you wont have any issues hitting your stated goal with that brass specifically. Let us know how it turns out.

Even better. That was exactly what I was looking at but I accidently read it wrong as 26". I would say you are good to go. Grab some Lapua now that you have some data that leads you to believe you wont have any issues hitting your stated goal with that brass specifically. Let us know how it turns out.
So you think just go with Lapua over Alpha as long as it’s available.

Thanks!
Oh, the 156 gr EOL they show with a 26”. Even though it’s only 2.5 gr heavier it didn’t get that much higher of velocity even with 6” more barrel
length for some reason. Seems strange

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 27

Thanks!
Oh, the 156 gr EOL they show with a 26”. Even though it’s only 2.5 gr heavier it didn’t get that much higher of velocity even with 6” more barrel
length for some reason. Seems strange

I got 2460 with the 156gr factory load from a 20” and my buddy got 2480 from a 22”. This was on 95+ degree days. The stated velocity seems extremely optimistic for performance with a 26” barrel.

Given that your original concern was which brass between Lapua and Alpha would help you achieve the velocity you were going for and you now have some info showing you most likely wouldn't have any issues, I would.