• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Altering AICS mags?

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
If you drill out the 2 spot welds in the front of an AI mag and remove the reinforcement plate, will the seam still hold the mag together?

Re: Altering AICS mags?

Why don't you try it and let us know?
smile.gif

I'd like to know before I try it.

Out of curiosity - what are you attempting to do w/the modified mags (if you're successful)?

AvsFan
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AvsFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity - what are you attempting to do w/the modified mags (if you're successful)?

AvsFan
confused.gif
</div></div>

I'll be able to run an OAL of 2.985 without the spacer.

I took one of my mags apart to examine it and the seam appears to be solidly welded along its entire length. I don't see the mag splitting apart under normal use with the modification you are proposing. These appear to be constructed the same way. You can always "sacrifice" one of the Accurate mags and save a few bucks.

Remove the bottom plate/spring and follower and with a dremel tool from the inside of the now empty box magazine, you can dremel the spacer at the location of the spot welds and the spacer plate falls right out. Replace the follower/spring and put the bottom plate back in place and you're GTG. You cannot tell it's messed with at all.

Thanks everybody for the info!
I need to load some VLD's out a little longer to touch the lands, and they won't fit the mag unless the plate is removed.
The Alpha Mags would work, but I didn't want 10 round mags.

Thanks again!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HM Spike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While on the topic of AICS mags do you polish the inside of the feed lips?? </div></div>

I do

Do the 10 round Alpha mags take a 2.95 oal without any modfiction?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everybody for the info!
I need to load some VLD's out a little longer to touch the lands, and they won't fit the mag unless the plate is removed.
The Alpha Mags would work, but I didn't want 10 round mags.

Thanks again!!</div></div>

The Alpha 10 rd mags are quite a bit smaller than he AI ones BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HM Spike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While on the topic of AICS mags do you polish the inside of the feed lips?? </div></div>

Yes.
I smooth them up with fine sandpaper like a 400 grit just to remove any burrs and rough spots.