• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alternative Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution?

wbeard

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Ohio
Anyone have a home recipe alternative to the gun-store expensive cleaners for either cases or parts in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Re: Alternative Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution?

Vineger cleans carbon rather well. I did find that it will remove blueing also. Otherwise soap and warm water. If you use vineger rinse well after cleaning. I always blow dry. It is a mild acid.

1/2 vinegar, 1/2 distilled or osmosis water, Blob of dishsoap with a surfactant,
Tablespoon (per 12 ounces) of lemishine and a couple drops of iodine. My machine has a heater
but if I preheat the water it makes thinks quicker.

It is a lot of the brass polishing and cleaning patents that I looked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iodine? I'm intrigued... </div></div>

Don't be, he has no idea what he's doing. First off he's either thinking about potassium iodide which is the wrong application or iodine proper which is used on brass to kill germs. Iodine will stain brass so it's worthless for our application. Iodine does exist in the brass manufacturing process, for the Zinc IIRC though so that might be where he's getting that idea but it's counterproductive in terms of our application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good info: http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html </div></div>

i've been using this method and so far i'm impressed.....but then again i'm new at this

Why don't you look up some brass cleaning solution patents before you go off
on tangents of brass manufacturing and potassium iodine? I did. Then come
back and instruct us.
Even better yet , why don't you just try the solution I use and then tell us how
it doesn't work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you look up some brass cleaning solution patents before you go off
on tangents of brass manufacturing and potassium iodine? I did. Then come
back and instruct us.
Even better yet , why don't you just try the solution I use and then tell us how
it doesn't work. </div></div>

You said you got the information from reading patents so why don't you cite your sources.

I work in this industry, I'm a tribologist (chemicals and metallurgy) and I'm not your instructor but since you asked for a lesson: Iodine will stain brass but because iodine is ~brass colored and depending on the alloy that stain might be invisible or nearly invisible but the stain is there regardless of your ability to discern it from the surrounding non-stained brass. Now that being said the reason you're seeing iodine in that patents is because iodine in far larger concentrations than you're adding will make brass 'shine' but will not 'clean' it (citric acid is far better anyways). Thus, based on all the evidence i.e. your thoughts that iodine will 'clean brass' and your 'few drops' it's pretty clear that you have no idea what you're doing.

Good for you school boy. I've been doing it long enough to know it works. And
I would say my ultrasonic cleaner is quite a bit older than you are. So all your engineering knowledge is good, and appreciated. Don't put the iodine in if you
don't want to. I can afford the 26 cents a year I spend on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Good for you school boy. I've been doing it long enough to know it works. And
I would say my ultrasonic cleaner is quite a bit older than you are. So all your engineering knowledge is good, and appreciated. Don't put the iodine in if you
don't want to. I can afford the 26 cents a year I spend on it. </div></div>

LOL! Well your above posts and this little gem from another thread:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tarnished or oxidized brass is as hard as cast iron. You really want that expanding and stretching under 55,000 psi in your chamber? I don't know what the chemical
make up of blackened brass is but I wouldn't do it any more than I would shoot old
tarnished cases. </div></div>

Pretty much sums up your knowledge on the subject... So keep slinging insults but your insults don't change the science or your inability to comprehend what I said.

I have better things to do in my retirement than remember useless (to me) chemical formulas. I don't need some wet behind the ears preppy telling me that
what I've done for 20 years (tweaked over the years) doesn't work when I know it does. As for the other thread, you were trolling and I am dead right in what I stated.
So you didn't bother to offer any constructive advise in either thread. Go try and impress someone who cares with your degrees. If you truly have some knowledge
to add, then by all means. So since you brought it up here... go find the rockwell
of cast iron and of oxidized brass. And while you are at it answer the mans question
about blackened brass from vinegar. Is it also as hard as air tarnished brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So you didn't bother to offer any constructive advise in either thread. </div></div>

You're hopeless.

Still don't see your post to show that brass oxide is not a crystal structure and not
as hard as iron. You are worthless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still don't see your post to show that brass oxide is not a crystal structure and not
as hard as iron. You are worthless. </div></div>

You're the one who made that claim, you back it up. You already admitted that you don't know and don't care about the physics and chemistry behind the processes that you're arguing about so I don't know why you're insulted that I corrected your many false claims in these two threads but to continually come back at me calling me names and putting words in my mouth isn't helping your case... Furthermore, when you resort to name calling and assuming that you know more because you assumed that you're older than I am, you show the audience that you're operating on pure emotion and have already lost. Saying you've done something for many years doesn't mean that it is therefore the 'correct' way to do said thing, it just means that you've done it that way for years... I would think with your self-proclaimed advanced age you would have learned these basic lessons by now so how embarrassing is it that you've not only been educated with a little science but also got a dose of maturity by this 'school-boy'? When you calm down, go back and read these two threads, then send me a PM with your apology.

To everybody else laughing at this thread. I'm always game for explaining science so PM me with question about the science behind anything I've stated. I even have iodine on hand (I work in a lab) if anyone wants to see the reaction or lack thereof in this case.

Now you're a shrink too eh. Go play your little mind games somewhere else. Post
the info I asked or can it. Or can't you back up those big school boy claims. (That's
not a question) A trolling tool.