• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

altitude where cartridge is loaded

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
kinda fuzzy question but i was wondering if the altitude,humidity,bar pressure etc at wich you ammo is loaded effects how it shoots?
for example if i were to reload a 308 case at sea level 100 percent humidity and 100 degrees farenheit and then reload another at 9000 feet very little humidity and 50 degrees farenheit and shoot both of them at 4500 feet i am wondering what a chronograph would show

Re: altitude where cartridge is loaded

Souldn't be able to tell any difference as the powder has it's own oxidizer and is not dependent on the atmosphere for burning rate.

FWIW,
I live at about 7000' above sea level, cool and dry..
I have gone down to Austin/New Braunfels area to see family,
hot/humid ( don't know the altitude ) and I saw no shift in accuracy or POI with the same rifle, same handloads...
(only to 300 yards, as that was the range max that we visited in TX)

Andy

The only issue with ambient conditions that is important to me is humidity. Not enough of it and static screws with my powder measure.

if its hot when u load them u become agitated and endow them with bad juju.