• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alumihyde II drying time

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
I painted my barreled action with Alumihyde II. After one day in the garage, I left it in my black car in the Florida sun for 5 days. Do you think it's baked enough to work with, or should I wait another week or two?

Re: Alumihyde II drying time

I usually give it two weeks. Once dry alumihyde II is pretty durable. The only trouble I have had is when I did not let it dry, so now I error on the side of caution..

I normally give it 24-48 hrs before handling or assembling and have not had any problems.

You should be fine. I heat set it after spraying and let it hang at least 24-36 hours before I touch it. I normally let it hang 3-4 days in hot weather and a full week in cooler weather before assembly.

I have used Alumahyde II quite a bit. It does dry pretty well in 24-48 hours, but it takes a good 2-3 weeks to fully cure. After fully cured it's very durable.

If your not in any hurry give a few more days just to be on the safe side

I tried it on my 5R and it came right off... I did something wrong. We also did a 870 and it stayed on there great.

But we did it in the winter in the garage for 4 days dry time. Never got above 50-60 haha whoops

Even on a sandblasted shotgun it chipped right off. I think cheap ass Krylon works better.

You could handle it, but I'll bet if you torque it in the stock you'll find it ain't done. The solvents are still evaporating. One week, 80+ degrees. If it smells at all, it ain't done.

I like to warm the metal up prior to shooting it too.

I thought I was the only one that used my vehicle as an initial curing cabinet....

Having done a few rifles and shotguns with it, let it cure. Warm the can in hot water or the sun, shake it well and keep shaking it. Warm the part, in colder weather, use a hair dryer, heat gun smartly. If you have the attic, paint it and hang it up there to cure for at least 4-5 days. Simply heating the can will allow for a nice even coverage. Of course as with any paint, surface prep is key. Resist the urge to poke at it. I've done a 5R and it held well, understand it is paint after all and it can scratch eventually.

And if you decide to bake it, do it as soon as the wife leaves in the a.m. and you might be lucky by days end.