• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aluminum bedded block question

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
So I got my b&c stock in, when I drop in the action I am just a smidge to the right at the end of the forarm and not quite free floated. Before I sand down the channel I wanted to know if I should remove any of this (see where arrows are pointing) could this be my problem? It seems to be covering the block? do I need to scrape or sand that down to the aluminum? This is for a rem 700 sps v

Thanks
stock1.jpg

Re: Aluminum bedded block question

I have an H-S Precision stock with a similar action block. For a while it was OK but then groups started to open up. I started looking at wear patterns on the action from the aluminum block and found that there were places where the action was making no contact at all. What was disturbing was that the contact points were at the ends and were allowing the action to be stressed by the action screws. Take some time and read tip #6 on this guy's site:

No 6. All Stocks need pillar bedding, even those with action blocks

This last weekend I followed his advice and put risers in the recesses around the action screws. I also bedded the full action along with the sides and back of the recoil lug. I left the bottom and front of the lug free by about .020 (two layers of vinyl pipe tape). When all had set up well I torqued the screws down to 65 in. lbs. and headed for the range.

Great improvement.

Pay close attention to "Ernies" explanation of what happens when the pillars are left recessed and the action block isn't absolutely matched to the action.

BTW, .191" group at 100 yards was the reward for the effort and that was with handloads "tuned" for the old unbedded setup.

I have two sets of the accurisers in the closet. waiting for my HS stock to come in. will def be using them along with bedding

skim bed the action and recoil lug will help ALOT, i have the same block i beaded my recoil lug and skim bedded like a 32nd and it filled in all the machine marks and gave 100% contact and shot like a lazer. i used Devon 10170 i think i can check that if needed pm me and i will

I had a similar issue when I received my B&C a few weeks ago. Prior to bedding it, it was off to the right. The barrel was still floating but it was a bit annoying. After bedding it, the problem was corrected. I am happy with it's performance so far.

Get this... I actually hogged out the inside of a McMillan A5 so I could epoxy in a Whidden Aluminum Bedding Block! Crazy, Huh?... Actually, I couldn't be happier with the performance and I can swap out pretty much any Remington SA barreled action and get great performance also. Best part... I did all of the work with a fucking Dremel! Could have screwed up an $800 stock..........

... But I didn't.

I guess the quality of the Whidden Block kept it all good.

Thanks for all the info guys, My question is how does bedding it straighten it up in the barrel channel? It is very slightly to the right, I sanded the channel out a bit this evening to get a true free float even when it's on the bipod. If I bed it do I just tape the barrel and set it in the stock to center?

I am totally new to this so it's a learning process.
Thanks!
Here is a pic,
gun3r.png

It appears that maybe the bedding block is mis-aligned inside the stock. If that's the case, bedding it will do nothing to straighten it because the action screws are also mis-aligned because they screw thru the bedding block. I would either sand out the barrel channel until it looks even or get Remington to replace the stock.

You should probably contact B&C, it definitely looks like the problem is as listed by the above user as a misaligned bedding block, not really anything you can do to fix it except return it for another one.

I have a Remington 700 that does same thing. Keith at PCR (hide gunsmith) looked at it, turns out body of receiver isn't square to the face. Causes barrel to point slightly off center. Eventually I'm gonna have him true the receiver (when I rebarrel). Shoots okay for now though.
Not sure if yours does the same, just something else to think about.

you can fix it by drilling out the screw holes oversize and installing pillars into those holes. bed them into the holes while your skimming the block + while they are attached to the action. this is all done while the barrel is set "true" in the stock.... of course, if it was me, I would avoid such a mess and have them replace it. good luck.