• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Aluminum DBM for Howa Mini?

flatland1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
I've been shooting a Howa Mini that I re-barreled to 6 RAT with a Bartlein 5R 1-8tw in lt Palma contour. It shoots fine bedded in a McM Sako Varmint stock, but I'd sure rather have metal DBM, and preferably one that would use AI or MDT mags to get away from having the mag latch right there at the front of the mag well where it gets accidentally released quite often while carrying the rifle while walking. I've looked at CDI's unit, and at the DIP one; CDI uses AI or MDT mags, and has the latch at the rear of the mag well. Has anyone got any experience with it?

I had a CDI bottom metal set up on a Savage rifle. I had the stock sent directly to them and they did the inletting as well. Other than the fact that I'm partial to the "stealth" type magwell, it worked fine. Fit and function was very nice. If it was something I needed on another rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to use them or their bottom metal. I only had the rifle a short time before selling it but I did thoroughly enjoy it.

ETA: their quoted lead time was spot on. I was completely impressed by that. I was promised that the rifle would be done in 3 weeks and I actually had it back in hand in 20 days from them receiving it. Quite refreshing in this day and age of missed deadlines and such.

I've got CDI DBM on a Win M70 in a Manners T4A purchased from their online inventory list that was already inletted for that DBM. The guy I spoke with at CDI when I ordered the DBM for this stock told me I'd have to make some cuts to the bottom of the action's mag well on the mill to make it fit, and included a drawing in the package with the DBM. It worked just like it's supposed to, and I still have that rifle in 6x47 Lapua. I think you're right - may as well call CDI again & arrange to send them a new Boyds ProVarmint stock for the inlet work for their Howa Mini DBM. If I'm satisfied with it in that stock, I've got a couple of McMillan stocks for the Mini action that need the same work done.

Go to 65grendel forums and look up the pics on the CDI BM for the Mini. It is probably not what you want to spend good money on. Get the DIP BM and use the Howa factory mags and avoid the disappointment.

I just ordered a couple of the DIP DBM units for my Minis - was still thinking about going with a CDI unit, and may do it yet. I've got the one Mini in 6 RAT in a McM Sako Varmint-style stock; the rear action bolt hole on the plastic bottom 'metal' split when I torqued it to 45 in/lbs, so it's going to get one of the DIP DBMs for sure.

Also have two more bbl'd actions - one in 222, and another 6.5 Grendel. There's a McM Game Scout w/mini inlet, plus a Boyds ProVarmint w/adjustable cp. May try a CDI unit on the 222, which will most likely be re-barreled as a 223, and go with the 2nd DIP on the other 6.5 Grendel. Or, may try the CDI on the Grendel to see if I can get it to feed with AI 223 mags.