• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aluminum Extrusions For Building Tables

J-Ham

Aquamarine Team
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Whitefish, MT
    Anybody use this stuff? I'm thinking about using it at work to make some trial tables, workstations, etc. I figure there's probably about a thousand different extrusions so I was just looking for some insight on what's most common, has plenty of accessories & brackets, and maybe possible suppliers. Thanks.
    51kLYUFQDPL._SL1000_.jpg

Anybody use this stuff? I'm thinking about using it at work to make some trial tables, workstations, etc. I figure there's probably about a thousand different extrusions so I was just looking for some insight on what's most common, has plenty of accessories & brackets, and maybe possible suppliers. Thanks.
    View attachment 7818900
    I don’t own one, but that looks to be basically the same stuff my friend has in his shop for his CNC. The table is rock solid for that kind of work

I've used a bunch of that stuff for development test setups in my lab at work. Strong, straight and easy to work with. The manufacturer I used was 8020 Inc.

It can be handy if you don't know exactly what you need and you may need modify it several times. If you know what you need then it's cheaper and more stable to weld up channel or tube.

Reactions: lariat
    It can be handy if you don't know exactly what you need and you may need modify it several times. If you know what you need then it's cheaper and more stable to weld up channel or tube.
    Yeah its definitely the stuff for a dynamic work environment where you want that piece of furniture to perform different tasks. If it is a fixed table it can be better just to weld it up and let it be permanent.

Last edited:
    We have a LOT of stuff made from this at work. From tables to molding machinery frames that support very heavy loads. It's light, strong & very versatile.

We use it all the time at work. A bit pricey tho. But I work at a government facility so everything is pricey.

Great, thanks for the input fellas... I knew the Hide would deliver, as usual.

My CNC machine and the table it sits on are made of this in different sizes. Like said, it’s handy, light, and expensive.

I use this stuff all of the time for testing rigs and tables, very sturdy, and easy to assemble.
    I typlically order it from Mcmaster Carr unless I need alot, then I order it direct from 80/20 and have them cut it for me. My only recommendation is to make sure your cuts are square and clean or the joints will not fit correctly.

Reactions: J-Ham
    You are picking the best material but it will cost you. McMaster Carr is my preferred supplier.

We use 8020 all the time. It's very versatile for frame work. If you have a design made in CAD or Solidworks you can send the file in and they'll cut it for you for a reasonable fee. Then it's just like putting a piece of Ikea furniture together. It's expensive, but modifiable with a wide verity of different fasteners and accessories. I love the stuff, but then I'm not the one paying for it.

Another +1 for 80/20 stuff. Use it for all sorts of stuff around the house since I became aware of it around the factory floor. ALL factories use it not just for e.g. robot enclosures and fixtures, but many other things including what you are asking: assembly tables. Perfectly rock solid.

Look around for inspiration from factory settings, to see how connectors and corner braces and so on are used. Buy those also. Be sure to get the proper fasteners. Plate nuts or square headed screws to fit into the channel is important but hidden so you might not know it unless told!

Don't try to find any local hobby supplier, get off eBay, etc. but just go to 8020.net, Mcmaster (https://www.mcmaster.com/80//), Fastenal (https://www.fastenal.com/product?query=80/20) or whichever is your favorite industrial supplier. There may even be one in town so you can go poke at the parts to think about which ones you want.

Reactions: J-Ham
    we use a ton of it also. We have been buying from 8020.net lately. We get it from them and McMaster