• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Aluminum Oxide source?

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
I'm getting ready to take the cerakote plunge. I'm having a problem finding 120 grit aluminum oxide. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CT

Re: Aluminum Oxide source?

Harbor Freight.

You know, it doesn't have to be 120 grit.

my local fastenal shop carries it, so you might see if yours can order it.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I can get 90 grit at Tractor Supply but I was under the impression that 120 was the stuff to use.

Anyway, the M4agery's extension tube is the Guinnea Pig. I had to do a lot of hand machining to get the new buttstock on so I'll try out the process in Graphite Black.

Many thanks again,

CT

I generally use 80 grit alox before zinc park, then guncote. I have not used ceracote. Watch tractor supply they sometimes stock alox and garnet packaging is similiar.I have had better results and longevity with alox