• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Aluminum replacement firing pins

trobertson5-0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
Floyd.Va.
Do they cut down on reliability at all and is the decreased lock time noticed by those who use them? Thanks in advance. TJR

Re: Aluminum replacement firing pins

A lighter than stock f/pin w/appropriate mainspring will NOT reduce lock time.
Most controlled round feed rifles need all the gimmicks on the market to be a couple milliseconds faster than a flintlock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lighter than stock f/pin w/appropriate mainspring will NOT reduce lock time.
Most controlled round feed rifles need all the gimmicks on the market to be a couple milliseconds faster than a flintlock.

</div></div>

I've been curious about this for a while, thanks for clarifying that.

IF we are talking bolt guns....light weight TI firing pins w/chrome silicate springs DO what they are supposed to do...and they do it well....you will need to re-set the trigger let-off as the spring tension DO change....but in reality these aftermarket items are made for a reason ....and the extra points gained will in fact win you a match or otherwise help greatly when positional shooting and the use of a sling is called for......

I haven't done any tests, because I dont have the equipment to. But...
The manufacturer of several(or all) of the lighter springs/F-pins claim they reduce lock time by 33% or 1/3rd. I dont see much that contradicts this or protests it. And it physically makes sense. They weigh half as much, that I can prove, and have better springs. No one argues that.

Like I said, I haven't done my own tests. I just trust the manufacturers and my gut feeling.

Just sayin