• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Am I going to be disappointed?

exedotbat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Montville, NJ
N00b move on my part.

I was in the market for a new scope and was able to pick up a NIB Leupold 3.5-10x40 FFP M3 TMR scope for a good price. I know I didn't get the scope yet, but am I going to regret this purchase? The M3 knobs are starting to make me nervous now, just hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Re: Am I going to be disappointed?

Could you elaborate more on what your plans are for this scope? An example would be hunting, target (if target, tactical/practical use? Precision long range use? Etc.) What kind of rifle is it for? What concerns you about the M3 turrets? Did you want a TMR reticle?

Whether you would be disappointed or not depends on how well you think this scope will serve your needs. If you want input from the folks here, we would need to know a little more before an honest answer can be given.

Well I will be using it at the range between 50-300 yards. Some tactical matches at fixed targets @ 300 yards. Maybe some real tactical matches out of state. I was worried about the course adjustment.

Luepold has great CS, when you break it, get the M5 knobs, and don't limit your self to 300 yards, 1000 yards will no problem, the TMR is a great reticle, the M3 knobs will help with learning hold overs unders, use it and abuse it, learn with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luepold has great CS, when you break it, get the M5 knobs, and don't limit your self to 300 yards, 1000 yards will no problem, the TMR is a great reticle, the M3 knobs will help with learning hold overs unders, use it and abuse it, learn with it. </div></div>My limitations are living in nj. My range is only 300. I think there is one 2 hours away that is 600. Thanks for the info though I'll shoot it and look into the m5 knobs later.

M3 knobs are great for fast shooting, unless you are trying to hit pennies at 300....I have one on an AR-10, they work together well.

If you dont like it, feel free to send it to me!

Yes you will regret it. To save yourself some disappointment just send the un opened box to me. And let this be a lesson young man!

Your scope will do very well out to 300yds and beyond. The coarse adjustments shine during matches where one may have to dial way up for long range, then back down again. The problem with finer adjustments is that one could get lost amongst all the clicks (once guilty here with 1/4moa knobs).

Like the others have mentioned: use the scope, become familiar with ranging and compensating. Once something either breaks (though not likely) or you find the need to move up, you will know exactly what to look for that will improve your abilities further. You've got a good scope, and Leupold has a good standing behind their product. Don't forget you have plenty of mils to work with on the reticule; it won't be a problem utilizing them before having to worry much about compensating with the turrets.