• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I the only one that heard it ?

n2ishun

Bend over I'll drive
Minuteman
  • Jan 2, 2022
    Kansas
    beer.com
    I know some of you guys are in the KC area and some others scattered throughout KS.
    Today at approx. 3:30 PM local there was 2 sonic booms.
    Followed by 2 explosions of no less than 2k pounders.
    Both in very quick succession.
    There are no hills so it was no way a echo thing.
    Then...
    There was a HUGE boom that did echo and roll for about ~5 seconds maybe ?

I've been looking on the news sites....not a thing.
    I expected nothing so I'm not disappointed there.
    Will keep checking and update anything.

I've been subject to both sonic booms and large explosions in the .mil.
    I am not mistaken in that.
    The huge BOOM was very low pitched and it rattled windows hard, similar to C4 but it was HUGE, I have never heard the like.
    It was in the direction of Ellsworth ANG and/or Fort Riley.
    They house B2's at Ellsworth.....so ?

I know some of you guys are in the KC area and some others scattered throughout KS.
    Then...

The huge BOOM was very low pitched and it rattled windows hard, similar to C4 but it was HUGE, I have never heard the like.

Could be some reglegs shot out of the box.....it's happened

Reactions: Lightning8
    B2's at Ellsworth

This was my first thought.

EDIT: sorry, I read and commented too fast. B1s are at Ellsworth, B2s are at Whiteman it sounds like you are near Whiteman?

Last edited:
    Then...

Likely B1s if those were sonic booms. B2s are at Whiteman and are subsonic so no sonic booms from them. In fact you can barely hear the B2 at all when they fly low overhead and are silent when flying overhead at 5k or so and higher. I see them from time to time flying out of Nellis over the mountains north of las vegas into the Nellis complex but can barely hear them, if at all.

Reactions: diverdon
    I'm no where close to a military range of any sort (well, maybe small arms training, but that's it).
    I guess I just assumed they had B2s at Ellsworth since I see them often during the summer, have never seen one in the winter.
    They fly straight overhead at maybe 10k foot, and yes you can easily hear them, they have a very distinct howl.
    Everyone I know just calls them batwings, we see them that often, flying straight to, or from, the Denver direction (I have no idea their actual destination).

Thinking about it a bit more..
    When I was a kid in the 60's in SoCal we would hear the atomics in Nevada, it wasn't loud enough to rattle anything, but had a low pitch that is more felt than heard.
    The last boom was like that.
    I merely used Ellsworth and Ft. Riley as directions, the sound came from where they are located.
    Could have been closer, could have been further.....but it came from that way (dead east).

I'm kind of expecting a mysterious fire at some random food production plant.
    That's what seems to fit and I'd just about wager on it.
    Lots of farmland and food production around here.

Earthquake perhaps.

In the NE they tend to present more as loud noise rather than shaking and stuff.

A51FABD5-337E-41D8-952F-B931D6DA278B.jpeg

There is also a SST testing corridor over that area.

Reactions: Short-bus and lash
    I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB for almost 16 years. Yeah, the B-1B is there.

I'm just wondering, when did they move South Dakota next to Missouri?

I know Kansas is the next door neighbor, to Missouri, but hell, Nebraska has to fit in there somehow too.

I know Kansas is the next door neighbor, to Missouri, but hell, Nebraska has to fit in there somehow too.
    My dad has multiple times told me a story about riding his motorcycle in Montana or the Dakota( can’t remember exactly where) when B-1A testing was going on. Anyway, there he was thinking he was top dog moving down the road when a Bone flew over at tree top level and burners lit…. Said he nearly shit himself, as he didn’t see it coming.

That is an easy 150-200 miles south from the area I heard it coming from.
    I don't recall how far a sonic boom travels, but I don't think it's that far (is it?).
    I think they can only travel are 20-30 miles.

Just know you are not the only one who heard it.

We had something similar happened north Pensacola recently. Nobody claimed it publicly. Usgs picked it up said not an earthquake.

519A7A55-5A4F-4F99-8540-B7D63C3A2091.jpeg

Doesn't breaking the sound barrier (legally) require coordination? I'm thinking HQ/USAF and FAA. Even then only in designated areas and above a certain altitude.

Came up at the same time along with Tommy Keefer , Jeff Lebar , Ritchie Kotzen , Dave Sabot , Scotti Hill and too many others to mention .

Deersniper ran into a grain silo. It fell and landed on a power plant causing massive explosions. He’s fine but it did fry his batteries and melted all his tires🤷‍♂️

As to what the OP was saying, Ellsworth is a small town in KS that is just S of I70
    Approx 76 mi west of Ft Riley.
    And a bit south.

Then it got confusing.

I think he may think Ellsworth AB is there vs Rapid.

@n2ishun - somehow thought you were in MO?
    You said the booms were from dead east of you?

I need more bourbon

My quote thing is fucking up today, so, fuck it.

Any hoo. I knew about Ellsworth, KS. It's just fun screwing with people. And I only had a small pour tonight.

Reactions: Bender
    As to what the OP was saying, Ellsworth is a small town in KS that is just S of I70
    Approx 76 mi west of Ft Riley.
    And a bit south.

Then it got confusing.

I think he may think Ellsworth AB is there vs Rapid.

@n2ishun - somehow thought you were in MO?
    You said the booms were from dead east of you?

I need more bourbon
    When I drove, I slept in my Mack behind the gas station in Ellsworth. Beautiful little valley there. Did it for a couple years.

Reactions: powdahound76
    We had a 3. something earthquake here about a month ago. It sounded like an explosion them rumbling, then another explosion.

I’m about 100 miles from where this was reported, but I was still at work, at that time. Industrial building with machines going - didn’t hear a thing.

The Smoky Hill ANG Range is just outside Salina. Do they do live bombings there or just inert drops?

When I drove, I slept in my Mack behind the gas station in Ellsworth. Beautiful little valley there. Did it for a couple years.

The little gas station on 70?

Took a huge crap there Sunday AM on my way back from the funeral.

There was 3 booms, I am smack dab in the middle of Kansas, was in the office, thought a propane tank blew up here at the farm, shook the shop, twice got up and 3rd hit. Jet engines roaring. Been long damn time since heard that stuff.

Thanks for sharing this. Somehow, I didn’t know about it.

What is “SST”?
    Super Sonic Transport, like a Concord replacement.

Reactions: nikerret
    No, in town, by the restaurant and car wash
    If you get by there again check out the grocery store called "Gene's Heartland Foods".
    They make a killer jalapeno/cheddar sausage in house, very worth your time if you like those kinds of things.

There was 3 booms, I am smack dab in the middle of Kansas, was in the office, thought a propane tank blew up here at the farm, shook the shop, twice got up and 3rd hit. Jet engines roaring. Been long damn time since heard that stuff.
    I heard a double boom of sonic, a double boom of explosive, and then a huge boom that was way deeper in tone and much more powerful than the first ones.
    I'm near the Russell/Ellis county line not far from the I70, so yea, dead center KS.

BTW, as a kid I grew up in SoCal and as such I am very used to earthquakes (was tossed out of bed by the Saugus/Newhall quake back in the day).
    None of the sounds today were earthquakes.

Reactions: Bender
    I did some flight training in Ellsworth, KS. I soloed there.

I didn't hear anything, but I was hauling hay and feeding cows all day. I am in north central Kansas.