• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Am I the only one who like SFP for coyote hunting ?

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
So I am switching back to a SFP scope on one of my coyote hunting rigs. I find FFP scope reticles just to small on the low end of magnification to be fast with.
Anyone who hunts song dogs know that the action can be fast. And I prefer solid, “large”, crosshairs for that kind of use.

I know, I know....FFP is what all the cool kids run...and for my long range rigs, I run them. But for 40-300 yards, on fast moving coyotes...give me a simple reticle that is easy to pick up.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Reactions: Fig and RTH1800
Interesting. I just "built" a short, kind-of-light 16" 6.5 CM in a carbon chassis for this, and deer, and hogs. I had bought a LRHSi in 4.5-18x44 because I believe they make the best FFP Hunting Reticle in existence with the G2H. But as I become more of a glass snob, I am considering moving to a 3.5-18x50 Swaro Z6i with a SFP and the ballistic turrets. I am up in arms on what to do as I am just not sure I will enjoy having to always be at max power for my holds, but I do think think if I zeroed at a MPBR of say 230 yards, I could set the other 3 dots on the ballistic turret at 300, 400 and 500 yards and be happ(ier) 99% of the time. I would likely also gain quite a bit of extra time at twilight with the Swaro. Decisions, decisions.

Burdy...sounds like you will be taking longer shots than I would in typically coyote hunting. Most of my shots are 100-200 yards. Once in awhile maybe 300-400. But that is not the norm. A

So again, for my use, SFP works better.

Now if I was shooting game animals at distance...FFP would be fine.

Guess everyone needs to find what works for them.

I picked up a sfp trijicon accupower 3-9x40 for this purpose, mil square reticle is pretty basic but it works and is fast up close but still allows me to take it to the range and bang steel when I get the urge even though it’s on a 10.5 inch 556

Depends on where I’m at. For those who don’t live in AZ it’s a subtropical desert with a lot of cover so shots are typically around 100 so it’s generally my AR with an Eotech or an AR with my Z5 Swarovski SFP. At elevation around Flagstaff as an example, with long meadows in the trees I prefer FFP. Dry fire practice with my FFP May change that but I do love my Swarovski. Using the center ‘box’ on my MILR reticle seems to be the trick for quick acquisition at shorter ranges.

I only have one SFP scope, it's on my coyote rig. All the rest of my rifles have FFP, including 22's and air rifles.

I need the wider FOV on low power and the thicker reticle. Plus I like a small and lightweight scope. With this particular rifle the cartridge doesn't have the oomph for shots past 300Y anyway and at 3731 fps it's top of yote back.

My coyote rifles LRHS 3-12x42 FFP 35ft FOV, Weaver 2-10x36 tactical FFP 50ft FOV, Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 SFP Cant find FOV feels around 35ft.

I know, I know....FFP is what all the cool kids run...
That's the problem. People follow the crowd due to ignorance and/or insecurity.

SFP scopes excel at several tasks in which FFP scopes suck.

Most low power variable scopes (I fucking hate the word "optic") have reticles that are unusable if it were on the first focal plane. Duplex/3A/4A reticles absolutely do not need to be on the first plane. There's more examples but one gets the point.

Reactions: holy cow
Here’s my 0.2

FFP are good for coyote hunting IF..... you have a reticle that works well. I am partial to the primary arms reticle that they have in their 4-14 FFP scope and now in the 3-18 scope. It is similar to something you would see in an ACOG (horse with subentions).

I know lots of people crap on BDCs but for me and my 223s or 308s on coyotes close enough is all it takes.

Having said that

I am running a SFP 1-4 trijicon on my AR and a FFP on my 308

Reactions: Kwmtnbiker
My favorite Coyote scope is the bushnell LRTS. 3-12. Ive whacked yotes with it at 3 power in light conditions I was unable to see the yote with the naked eye and I didn't lose my point of aim due to a thin reticle. I usually run it at 6 power when calling though. I can see the benefits of a bdc for yote hunting but I havent felt the need to invest in another scope for calling vs steel plinking. Interesting discussion though.

Reactions: ballistic1
My favorite Coyote scope is the bushnell LRTS. 3-12. Ive whacked yotes with it at 3 power in light conditions I was unable to see the yote with the naked eye and I didn't lose my point of aim due to a thin reticle. I usually run it at 6 power when calling though. I can see the benefits of a bdc for yote hunting but I havent felt the need to invest in another scope for calling vs steel plinking. Interesting discussion though.
I'm currently running the LRHS which is a better hunting reticle with the G2H than the LRTS is but considering moving to the Swarovski Z6i in 2.5-15 or 3-18.
IMG_20181014_150041.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181014150220345.jpg

Yes, my main coyote rig sports a older Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5-16X. I find it a very good scope for the role I use it for.

I had an extra FFP scope and thought I would give it a try for another coyote rifle. Absolutely did not like it.

So now I am looking for another SFP scope.

So I am switching back to a SFP scope on one of my coyote hunting rigs. I find FFP scope reticles just to small on the low end of magnification to be fast with.
Anyone who hunts song dogs know that the action can be fast. And I prefer solid, “large”, crosshairs for that kind of use.

I know, I know....FFP is what all the cool kids run...and for my long range rigs, I run them. But for 40-300 yards, on fast moving coyotes...give me a simple reticle that is easy to pick up.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

I'm on your side. For In Your Face shenanigans: M67s. Hang a T-1 at a bladed 45 for distances in-between.

Coyote rig has a 2.5-10 viper hs with bdc. lite fast and 100-200-300 are the bdc lines.

I like SFP for hunting predators and generally leave my rifle on 4X for everything from 25yards to around 200. Predators are to quick to find on a small reticle on lower powers. I still do use FFP for deer hunting though generally they give more time than predators.

Both of my MK12 optics are SFP. It will depend on the rifle, what you are using it for, engagement distances you expect/plan for and (if you plan to use it) as a 1x or close to 1x 'red dot'.