• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amazing brass polish!

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
You guys might already know this but its a discovery for me.

BRASSO metal polish! http://www.walmart.com/ip/BRASSO/14862623
I found it at the hardware store the other day and thought it was worth a try.

I added this to my walnut media in my vibratory case cleaner and my brass is glowing! I was even able to remove water stains from brass that was picked up from the range. Some of these cases were almost black after being tumbled in non-treated media. Now they are brighter than new.

Re: Amazing brass polish!

I have been using and recommending NuFinish car wax, I'll have to try this.

This will make your brass become brittle. Some folks use it anyway, but I don't. Try adding some Nu-Finish car polish instead.

I have never used it for reloading, but I have used a good bit of it on antiques over the years. Flitz works well on stuff so I would think adding that may work as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys might already know this but its a discovery for me.

BRASSO metal polish! </div></div>
Brasso has 5-10% ammonia and should be avoided for reloading purposes. The same goes for ordinary Flitz although they do have a version that is compatible with tumbling which works well.

I have used brasso for over 22 years and have yet to see a difference in brass wether used it or not, that ammonia weakens the brass is academic, yes it will hurt the brass if used with a lot of ammonia for a long long time, splitting hair guys. let's keep the conversation to the practical not academical theory.
cheers, it does make the brass look good in very little time when added to walnut shell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let's keep the conversation to the practical not academical theory.
cheers, it does make the brass look good in very little time when added to walnut shell. </div></div>
When the experts and the manufacturer say do not use it, it is more than academic. I'm glad you've not had any issues to date but if the manufacturer says do not use it, that holds more weight than an opinion.... in my opinion...

Well I am no academic but Ammonia and brass or copper do not play well together. I used some Brasso many years ago. Put the brass in a box and forgot about them. A few years later I ran accross them and to my dismay they looked like hammered shit, lesson learned. If you wipe them off or do a final polish in clean media to get any residual off they may be fine. I will err on the side of caution as my brass looks fine clean rather than bright and shiny. To each his own.

Oh wait. If you are using your brass for jewelry then forget what I said. I forgot that lots of guys today don't actually use their brass to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh wait. If you are using your brass for jewelry then forget what I said. I forgot that lots of guys today don't actually use their brass to shoot.</div></div>

Sad times we're living in.

I use Brasso as well with no effects for 10+ years. Others I know do as well. Some have been reloading for well over 35 years and shoot daily (no joke). I've read a lot about this on the internet because I was worried as well. Ammonia does evaporate while tumbling, some pour in the Brasso and mix it in, then leave the container open for a short time before adding in their brass. In my opinion, poor reloading techniques, incorrect annealing, and other factors play a bigger role in many of the reported problems with Brasso. To me it's looks, smells, and performs the same as expensive Brass (Safe) waxes & cleaners. I use a cap full per load in my Large Dillon tumbler. The percentage of Brasso in the media is very small. Then take the 5-10% ammonia per volume of Brasso, the ammount of ammonia is close to 0. I wouldn't soak my Brass in a bucket of the stuff though.

Just my 2 cents.

Not to hijack, but what about using Lema Shine in with dry media? I know the stainless steel media guys like to use it in solution, I wonder of it would work dry.

Lemishine is a dry powder, which when mixed with water, becomes citric acid. It wouldn't do anything in dry media.

I've used NuFinish and Flitz Tumbling Polish. Flitz is well worth the extra expense, in my opinion. Works faster and better than anything else I've tried.

I use a metal polish for my brass and it works amazingly well.. Brass comes out better and shinier than new.

I made sure the stuff I use though is ammonia free.. Better safe than split necks and head separations IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've used NuFinish and Flitz Tumbling Polish. Flitz is well worth the extra expense, in my opinion. Works faster and better than anything else I've tried. </div></div>

Temp9, I see you are in Salt Lake as am I; is Flitz available locally?

[edited moments later; looks like Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse....]

You can get Lemishine in liquid also.Arnie

JoeB,
Flitz polish in the tube won't be cost effective. The shit is expensive.
Flitz does make brass polish, in a bottle, I bought some from Midway, pricey also.
You can't go wrong with Lyman's, Frankfurt Arsenal, Iosso, many others less expensive.
Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo should have all kinds of this stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JoeB,
Flitz polish in the tube won't be cost effective. The shit is expensive.
Flitz does make brass polish, in a bottle, I bought some from Midway, pricey also.
You can't go wrong with Lyman's, Frankfurt Arsenal, Iosso, many others less expensive.
Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo should have all kinds of this stuff. </div></div>

+1 - Wholesale sports here in Vancouver, WA has a heavy reloading inventory.

+1 for Flitz. I have tried Nufinish and hated it. It left a waxy residue on the cases

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used brasso for over 22 years and have yet to see a difference in brass wether used it or not, that ammonia weakens the brass is academic, yes it will hurt the brass if used with a lot of ammonia for a long long time, splitting hair guys. let's keep the conversation to the practical not academical theory.
cheers, it does make the brass look good in very little time when added to walnut shell.</div></div>

I think the issue with Brasso is using it with wet media. With dry media, the effects aren't nearly as severe. SS Media + Brasso would be bad as would Ultrasound + Brasso.

I once shot a gun with a little residual wipe-out in the chamber. The brass extracted blue-green. You have to watch what you use with brass.

Took a drive to Cabelas today and picked up a can of Iosso; that stuff sure makes brass look pretty! It was only like $10 but I scored it for free with my Cabelas club points. Now that's cost effective!

Flitz is all I use. Hornady One Shot works well too, but Flitz seems to last longer without needing to rejuvenate the media.