• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amazing results from a 700 AAC-SD

Distant1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2013
G'day guys

This is my first post on the site but have been reading and absorbing all of the information shared here for months , its a fantastic site and a wonderful resource to everyone in the shooting / hunting brotherhood so thanks up front.

Recently I picked up a new Rem 700 AAC-SD in 308 after handling one in the store , I didnt go in to buy a rifle but left having brought one ( Im sure im not the first to tell that story ) There was just something very neat about it the ballance
the barrel length , that sturdy Rem action feel , it was a neat package , that caught me at a weak moment :)

Having stalked the pages of this site for a while and looking at all of the brilliant custom work and options available my head started to work on what I could do to this little rifle and where to start. We hunt a lot of Deer here in Australia and many pigs
this rifle would be a all-rounder live in an Eberlestock pack and do 90% of its shooting inside 400 yards.

The first thing to go was the Hogue over molded stock , replaced with a HS precision Pro-series in olive web , the Hogue while it looked ok was very soft and flexible , it just couldnt stay.

These rifles come factory threaded for the AAC products so I had a nice 5 x 5 hole spiral Custom break made by TSE engineering here in Queensland ( Great work , function , fit and finish )

Optics came next a LaRue Pic rail , I had a set of low Luepold MK4 rings in the draw and I decided to try the Leupold VXR-Patrol 3-9x40 with the fire dot TMR reticle.

The scope profile didnt overpower the rifle in looks and the low rings kept the compact theme going well when it was fitted.

Pleased with the set up and wondering what to do next I found myself with the local Cerakote agent looking at swatches and trying to make a choice , finaly settling on Magpul dry earth and leaving it with him to do the rifle mount and rings.

The combination looked great and completely changed the way the rifle looked.

So ok with these few jobs done and a couple of weeks passed without firing a shot out of it yet it was time for range day , I left the X-mark pro trigger in the rifle as close to 2lb as I could get it and set off with a couple of boxes of Federal 168g Gold Medal Match factory amunition.

This rifle was always ever going to be a walk around hunting rifle , but like most of us the dream of a one hole shooter is always alive close to the front of our brain (very close)

I bore sited the rifle at the bench at 100 and fired three rounds , that cut one nice hole , looked over at my mate who was watching and said "thats a nice start" cleaned the barrel made the adjustments for zero and fired the next three , one nice
jagged hole again , bang on zero , we looked at each other and had a laugh , no way !!!

With six rounds as the round count in one hole , I cleaned the Barrel again and fired the next five at a clean target.

A one hole group that measured .317

Can you imagine how pleased I am with this little rifle , thats factory amunition from a stock action and barrel , and it just continued to do it down to round 40 on the way home from the range I brought every box of that ammo the gun shop had :rolleyes: I went back to the range on ANZAC day and with the chrony data shot it out to 400 on the plate at the back of our range and it stacks them one on top of the other out there as well.

I know a system is the sum of all it parts , and everything must do its job , ive got rifles that I have invested 3 times as much in to get the same results , but you know there is something very pleasing about something simple that simply works.

Remington deserves it reputation and the Model 700 its time proven affection with riflemen , after all this time with all the many model variations it has produced , it still drops products like this into the market that the average man can afford and enjoy.

I hope the post wasnt to much of a yawn for the guys that only shoot one hole most of the time ( thats not me by the way ) but I have enjoyed this project and thought I would share with you.

All the best in the woods and on the range.

Simon.

Very nice! Great looking rifle and great shooting. I used to see quite a few of the 700 AAC-SD rifles at stores and gun shows in my area, but they are harder to find now. I am guessing more people are realizing how great of a gun it is for the money.

I absolutely love my aac sd and my b&c has finally shipped, happy day!! Welcome and darn good shooting!!

This thread makes me very excited! I just put my SPS Varmint in a B&C and can not wait to get it sighted in. I have to try to keep my expectations realistic but man I hope I can duplicate the results you had! Good shooting.

Last edited:
Hey thanks fellas , yes there is a lot to like about something that didnt cost a man the earth but shoots like it may have , I live in Queensland Australia a hunting fishing paradise to be honest all around me
this little rifle will get lots of work between myself and my 15 year old son , I will post up some photos of her in action once we get out. Paper Zero Three ..... that tripod is a Stoney Creek Polecat , its a little tricky
to get the hang of fast if there is a lot going on , but once you get in the way of it its a real useful item. My son shoots a 7 rem mag which is a lot of rifle for a little bloke but we set him up on this in the long grass
and he has never had to shoot twice , they weigh less than 2lb and we take it everywhere. You know what if this is really the way these rifles are all shooting I am going to grab another one and set it up for my son
so we have one each , I may even make a special 16th birthday present out of it for him , I would love to hear from anyone else thats had good results with these , and guys if you havnt tried the Fedral Gold Cup Match
through yours , have a crack at it , its just amazing accurate in mine.

Listen on the subject , Im more a hunter than anything else would these 168SMK's be ok on deer and pigs in your opinion ??? I shoot deer with the 168SMK in 7mag which is going a lot faster and it crushes everything.
anyone with experience with these I would love to hear back.

Thanks again guys love the site and all the great info.

Oh guys one more thing , I said that I kept the X mark pro trigger for the set up and I did , my good mate and neighbor has a new 5R Rem which is also in its sub 100 round faze we have both sat with our faces kinda screwd up as we played with the factory triggers
in these rifles , and when we checked them with trigger break guages we found that the pull weight changed depending on how you closed the bolt ( no kidding ) slammed shut fast got you a significantly different pull weight than slowly closed on a round , we dont understand that but you can imagine how much we like it !!!! he beat me to the store an brought the only Rifle Basix ERV-3K trigger they had and put it in , 1lb every time do what you like to the bolt and a lovely feel , these are nice trigger sets and I have ordered one which can only further improve things.

Oh guys one more thing ...
in these rifles , and when we checked them with trigger break guages we found that the pull weight changed depending on how you closed the bolt ( no kidding ) slammed shut fast got you a significantly different pull weight than slowly closed on a round ...

are you sure can't be something related to the tenons (not fully trued) full or partial engagement, closing slowly or slamming the bolt ? I will be very interested to learn more about it...

are you sure can't be something related to the tenons (not fully trued) full or partial engagement, closing slowly or slamming the bolt ? I will be very interested to learn more about it...

I'm not sure at all Wilecoyote , I've never struck anything like it , what do you think it might be ? I like a 1-1.5lb trigger as a choice and the X-Mark pro runs out at 2 from what I understand. , everyone likes a good trigger and again I want to say I'm no smith or expert , would love some points to discuss or look through now that we have James trigger out of the rifle and can tinker with it.

I ask about that because I have, on my limits, tricked a little bit my ol'style 700 trigger to around 1lb., I'm sure that my tenons aren't true, I have the same feeling related to the way I close the bolt_ I can't say for sure if can be a tenon related problem only, or something related to my uncorrect torquing of the action screws_ (with a one-hole as in the picture above, I would not be too much worried,anyway...)_

distant1 depending on where you live, i have an sps tactical on a b&c stock you can play with to see how you like it. I'm in America now but im moving to brisbane next month. i would love to have a local to show me the shops and where to shoot when i get there. i jus

I've had the same experience with the AAC SD I bought in October. This was my first bolt gun and I couldn't be more pleased. What I didn't know was how much fun it would be to spend money on accessories and upgrades. This and other forums have been great resources to learn from others experience.