• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amazing what a 6".....

Sharpsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Rayville, La.
flat bastard file can accomplish! My 03A3 has an 'A' front sight blade which has been shooting around 10" low at 200 yards using a 8" black bull holding a 6 o/clock hold and shooting Sierra 168 HPBT using 48 grs. IMR4895 and F210M primers. I filed the front sight blade down yesterday evening .015" and went back to my range this AM and I'm close to getting it where I want the POI to be. First shot I fired I forgot to move the windage back to mechanical zero and the shot was off to the right at the freshly painted white spot you can see on the AR400 plate below; still a bit low with a good break. I took off about .010" more and shot the 5 rounds you can see in the bull. I'm almost there!

As an aside piece of info, I was talking with one of my LEO buddies that instructs marksmanship for the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Dept. in Monroe, La. and I was telling him about the accuracy of this 03A3. He listened intently and then said...."Listen Dude...I had occasion to be taken through the Springfield Arsenal on a tour several years ago when I was in that area for a school and I saw things and heard info that I had never been privy to! The tour guide took us upstairs to a large area where much equipment was stored that the general public never gets to see and there was some amazing material in that large room. The guide stressed the amount of 'pains' that were taken just in the building of stocks and the specs. that had to be met and kept before being accepted. Thousands of stocks were dried down and then stored for months at a time and then each was checked for hardness, moisture content, and straightness and if not up to specs....those stocks went into the burn pile!! I'm not at all surprised by the accuracy you're witnessing with that rifle because in the finality....the 03A3 was for all practical purposes more of a target rifle than a combat weapon!"

03A3 Springfield 200 yd. tgt 5 shots by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

SprgfRegsgt by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

I certainly agree with your LE Friend about the M1903a3 being close to a "target" rifle. (Cpt Edward Crossman talked about this years ago in his two books;, the Book of the Springfield & Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting).

We all have our opinions on what's the most accurate military surplus rifle, but that's all it is "opinions". The M1903/M1903a3 is not opinion but fact. Not saying this because I own one. I own several US Surplus rifles and my 1903a3 isn't my favorite, but its the most accurate (excluding my M1903a4, but that's the same rifle).

Look at the CMP GSM matches. G stands for Garand, S for Springfield and M for all other pre 1955 surplus rifles. The CMP gives medals , Gold, Silver and Bronze if you shoot a certain score in these matches, each category has its own cut off scores. The Springfield is separated from the others for a reason. The cut off scores are higher, even higher then the Garand (though the Garand is close).

Also look at the Scores at the CMP Games, the Scores are, on the average higher for the Springfield matches. The Springfield's dominate the Vintage Sniper Matches, and not just the M1941 version with its 8X scopes, but the 'A4s also.

You have a right to be proud of your M1903A3, but your story isn't that uncommon.

I certainly agree with your LE Friend about the M1903a3 being close to a "target" rifle. (Cpt Edward Crossman talked about this years ago in his two books;, the Book of the Springfield & Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting).

We all have our opinions on what's the most accurate military surplus rifle, but that's all it is "opinions". The M1903/M1903a3 is not opinion but fact. Not saying this because I own one. I own several US Surplus rifles and my 1903a3 isn't my favorite, but its the most accurate (excluding my M1903a4, but that's the same rifle).

Look at the CMP GSM matches. G stands for Garand, S for Springfield and M for all other pre 1955 surplus rifles. The CMP gives medals , Gold, Silver and Bronze if you shoot a certain score in these matches, each category has its own cut off scores. The Springfield is separated from the others for a reason. The cut off scores are higher, even higher then the Garand (though the Garand is close).

Also look at the Scores at the CMP Games, the Scores are, on the average higher for the Springfield matches. The Springfield's dominate the Vintage Sniper Matches, and not just the M1941 version with its 8X scopes, but the 'A4s also.

You have a right to be proud of your M1903A3, but your story isn't that uncommon.

It goes to show that slow and steady can win the race. Provided you cannot take all day to shoot, but just because you have a rifle that cycles the action for you really fast does not mean you will win. I recently shot a local club match, and I was the only bolt gun there (Using my Remington 1903a3) I did not do to bad, could have done better, but I was pleased with how well my rifle did. Everyone else had Match AR's.

Got the front sight filed down such that when the sliding aperture is set on 600 yards the rifle is shooting the right POI at that distance and when set for 200 the POI is right for that distance as well. Shot this group yesterday afternoon from 600 yards:

03A3 600 yard group. by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

When it comes down to the 'nut cuttin'....I'd rather shoot this rifle than any of the others with glass that I have!! This one is a shootin dude!!

Got the front sight filed down such that when the sliding aperture is set on 600 yards the rifle is shooting the right POI at that distance and when set for 200 the POI is right for that distance as well. Shot this group yesterday afternoon from 600 yards:

03A3 600 yard group. by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

When it comes down to the 'nut cuttin'....I'd rather shoot this rifle than any of the others with glass that I have!! This one is a shootin dude!!

Now that is amazing. I could not even see that target at 300 yds, much less 600. In fact, I could not see a box 6 feet high and 8 feet wide at 600 yds. You have a great rifle with a pet load. Good shooting by the way. You could win a Vintage sniper match without the scope.

Last edited:
Sharps man and kraig, CMP matches are not my thing, I prefer shooting that engages a wide variety of skill sets. However, I will say, as you guys have shown, vintage rifle matches have some shooters that have a better command on the fundamentals of marksmanship than can be found anywhere else. Good shooting.
I do love my 03 though, especially since I'm the fourth generation to own it in the family, since it went on R&R from active duty.

Mike

That bull is 20" diameter; same diameter as the target we Service Rifle shooters used back in the day when I was shooting with the AMU at Ft. Benning. A hit in the bull from 600 yards was valued as 5 points and it had a V ring that was 10" diameter used as a tie breaker. I'm not familiar with the bull/target that's used in the Vintage Sniper Matches today so I can't relate my bull here at home to what's used for the VSM of today. At 73 years old....I have two ruptured disk in my lower back and at times when I lay prone to shoot I get a very bad burning sensation down my left leg. My brother who is a Doc tells me that when the gel type sack around a disk is broken that when put under pressure the disk releases an enzyme that is toxic to the nerves and this is what causes this problem. I would imagine my prone shooting days are done!! But the eyes still work pretty fair! Playing six years of football, baseball, running track, and pulling too many 'Gs' from flying aircraft for 40 years eventually takes it's toll!!

Oh...the load is 48 grs. 4895 with a Sierra 168 gr. HPBT and lately I've been 'saving' my F210M supply so this group was shot using Rem 9 1/2 primers! Seems they do well.

Sharps man and kraig, CMP matches are not my thing, I prefer shooting that engages a wide variety of skill sets. However, I will say, as you guys have shown, vintage rifle matches have some shooters that have a better command on the fundamentals of marksmanship than can be found anywhere else. Good shooting.
I do love my 03 though, especially since I'm the fourth generation to own it in the family, since it went on R&R from active duty.

Delta4-3

"I prefer shooting that engages a wide variety of skill sets."

What would that be sir.....if I may ask??

Thanks!

I don't mean it to sound as if CMP matches don't require multiple skills, I just like(ed) adventure stile shoots that require physical fitness, land nav, and a plethora of other skills based on military sniping. It matters not though, since I'm not in any condition to do any of it but the shooting part anymore. Part of the reason I don't like CMP and similar vintage matches is because I generally place at the bottom! ;)

Delta4-3

"I prefer shooting that engages a wide variety of skill sets."

What would that be sir.....if I may ask??

Thanks!

I don't mean it to sound as if CMP matches don't require multiple skills, I just like(ed) adventure stile shoots that require physical fitness, land nav, and a plethora of other skills based on military sniping. It matters not though, since I'm not in any condition to do any of it but the shooting part anymore. Part of the reason I don't like CMP and similar vintage matches is because I generally place at the bottom! ;)

Yes sir...I know what you mean. Several years back I was asked by one of my younger friends to compete in his Tactical shooting matches and I told him "Nope....that's not an older guys game!" Matter of fact it goes against everything that I was ever taught or that I ever introduced into any of the marksmanship instructional clinics that I was asked to give. Not that a shooter shouldn't keep in shape by exercise or by not maintaining their weight to a reasonable degree and by regular practice sessions but precision shooting is a game whereby most champions learn to control their physiological functions to a downward status and not by running/jumping hither and yon with a 90# pack on the back!! Whereas most sports require hyping up....shooting requires hyping down....way down!!

I'm not familiar with the bull/target that's used in the Vintage Sniper Matches today so I can't relate my bull here at home to what's used for the VSM of today.

The targets are the same as used in High Power. The 300 yard RF target is used at 300 yards in the VSM, the 600 yard slow fire is used in the 600 yard phase.

And I agree that the Military is anal regarding PT. I spent a year in a Recon unit in Vietnam, I didn't do one pushup or set up. I did a shit pot full of humps. If you want to get the military in shape, HUMP.

I had two good friends and fellow officers when I was in the AKNG Abn Det. They were running fanatics. Always gave me crap about my lack of desire to run. But I could hump a ruck better then either of them. We're all three old now, their knees are shot, mine aren't, their days of humping rucks are gone. Mine aren't.

Snipe is more about patience then running. I think the military would be much better off if they put a little more emphasis on marksmanship then PT. Imagine if they spent even 10% of their PT time on marksmanship.

I agree is a great rifle that is often underestimated in its performance. Especially those who write we didn't have a decent sniper during WW II.