• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ambi bolt on non ambi lower

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
Outside of a BAD lever, is there anything to act as a right side bolt release on a non ambi lower?

PDQ lever, but it requires modification to the lower receiver.

iu

iu

what kind and how much modification? Thinking of doing a 2nd AR-10 on a jp LRI-20 receiver set but i talked with the JP guys and they have no plans to do ambi bolt release ar-10 lowers right now

I would be inclined to ask JP to do the modification for you. Have you already obtained the JP receiver set?

It would be nice to have it machined and then anodized before installing the AR-10 PDQ.

Reactions: camocorvette
no, this is a future build but i'm a planner. So, I wanted to knock questions out early.

I did ask if they could install a barrel for me and they said they don't do installation work for non jp products

Phase 5 is just a "lever" welded to a standard bolt latch. (or at least they used to be) So no chance of it coming loose and falling off anyway.

Have one on an old match rifle. Never really used it as an "ambi" for reloads, I cut it short so it didn't stick out past the trigger guard. I only used that end to hold the bolt open at the end of a stage. But made use of the rest of it as an oversized paddle on reloads, hitting it with my thumb after seating a mag.

Last edited:
Mega Maten receivers come with factory supplied off side ambi bolt release. Just finished 4th build with same this week. You supply normal left side catch/release.

Mega Maten receivers come with factory supplied off side ambi bolt release. Just finished 4th build with same this week. You supply normal left side catch/release.
So I am actually building a rifle on the MATENMML set right now but I want to build another one using the JP side charging handle, upper and that one can only except the LRP – 07 lower

Hey, I'm sidetracking the topic a little here but you have lots of Maten experience so question for you. What handguards match up well with the Maten unique receiver shape? I have an older one that I built using a Mega keymod. I want to switch to an mlok, wondering what options fit that receiver shape.

You’ll need to select a high profile handguard for the Maten. I prefer SLR for my own and those I’ve built for others. Easy to mount, very solid and no interference between gas tube and barrel nut alignment. Have migrated newer builds to mlok as well.

I just did a PDQ in the last two months or so. I'm a big fan. I prefer it over the BAD level it feels a lot more sturdy. I'd venture to say it's fairly simple with basic knowledge and skills.

Reactions: LRRPF52
You’ll need to select a high profile handguard for the Maten. I prefer SLR for my own and those I’ve built for others. Easy to mount, very solid and no interference between gas tube and barrel nut alignment. Have migrated newer builds to mlok as well.

I'm up to speed on the high profile and the pic rail. I'm wondering about the Maten hex shaped receiver and don't want a handguard that does not fit that shape where they come together. The Maten handguard fits perfect of course and I hate to lose out on that if I go with another brand. You said the SLR fits good. Do you mind posting a pic of that combo? Side view closeup where the handguard and receiver come together?

Thank you, that's very interesting. My Maten upper has a different shape there. I wonder if mine was an older design. I'll post a pic later.