• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ambi safety question

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
I'm putting together my first AR for an SBR build. I've got a Spikes lower and a Spikes enhanced lower parts kit. I was putting it together today and had a few issues with the safety selector. First issue I think I've resolved is I was using the wrong detent for it and when I put the grip up I couldn't use the selector at all. whatever position it was in it stayed.
Secondly though I notice it seems wide on the receiver. With the left side flush to the lower the right side sets off maybe 1/16 or so. Should both sides be flush on the lower? It was to late to call spikes and ask them about it so I figured I'd drop a line on here to maybe get an answer sooner.

Try cutting a few coils off of the spring.

I have an ambi safety and it has a small gap also. Doesn't really bother me and seems normal

I noticed this when I installed the BAD-ASS safety. Mine has the gap, but does not move side to side. I'm ok with it.

A small gap or space between the right side lever and the exterior receiver wall is pretty normal with some ambi selectors...some worse than others. Provided the the levers are locked down tightly and there isn't any play (side-to-side) in the selector itself...don't sweat it.

As for the stiff selector...once you are sure you have the correct detent installed, check your lower receiver and your grip for any debris, etc. that might be causing issues. I have seen some poor finish jobs on lowers cause fitment issues/binding, but by far the biggest issue is with some aftermarket grips with holes for the spring not being deep enough and causing the spring to over compress, or, that have debris in the hole from the moulding process, etc. that just needs cleaned out. A drill bit of the same size should help to both clean out the grip, and, if needed, buy you some VERY small incremental increases in the depth of the hole until you get the selector operating smoothly and without too much force.

Was definitely the wrong detent pin. I'm guessing I was using an extra takedown pin detent in there. The kit had what appears to be an extra one and a spring (thankfully cause I lost one shooting it across the room). Put the proper detent in and it works great now. Thanks guys.