• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AMD 65 rear trunion crack

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
I have an AMD 65 that I assembled years ago. Has about 500 rounds through it. I just replaced the wire stock with one with a cheek piece and noticed a crack across the rear of the rear trunion. It running from top left corner of the stock mortis to the left edge. I can't see it on the inside to see if it goes all the way through. Anybody seen this with a AMD 65? Do i need to replace the trunion? Seems to function fine just don't want to have a trunion failure and a face full of recoil spring. Sorry the picture is so dark.

Attachments

• photo47043.jpg
    photo47043.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 6
That is a critical part placed strategicaly by your face.

If it were me I would grind it down and see if its shallow or not. Chances are its not but at least that way you will feel better about the next step which will ne to replace trunion.

on the off chance it is not deep you can simply refinish it which is way easier to do than a trunion swap.

Sorry for the delay. Thats what I'm worried about. My face is not the best looking around but i don't think it would be improved by a face full of ak bolt carrier either. I think i'll pull it out and see.